February 2015 SIKM Call: Kate Pugh - How Great KMers are Innovation Conveners #monthly-call #innovation

Stan Garfield

This is a reminder of tomorrow's monthly call from 11 am to 12 noon EST.

Stan Garfield

Edited

TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Today we held our 117th monthly call.

Thanks to Kate for presenting, to Joel Muzard for recording, to those who live tweeted, and to those who participated in the discussion. You can continue the discussion by replying to this thread.

katepugh@...

Stan, thank you so much for hosting this. It's an oasis for many of us, who get caught up in our info-barraged lives. John, Madelyn, Lee, Catherine, and Jean-Claude -- thanks for your great inputs. And thank you to all of you who were tweeting.

Question for you all: Do you agree we are innovation conveners? How can we uplevel this conversation?

Kate

Katrina Pugh
President, AlignConsulting 
Editor of Smarter Innovation (chapter abstracts) (Ark Group, 2014)
Author of Sharing Hidden Know-How (Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2011)
katepugh@...
www.alignconsultinginc.com
617 967 3910 (m)

-----Original Message-----
To: sikmleaders <sikmleaders@...>
Sent: Tue, Feb 17, 2015 3:04 pm
Subject: [sikmleaders] Feb 17 SIKM Call: Kate Pugh: How Great KMers are Innovation Conveners

Murray Jennex

I agree we are innovation leaders/conveners.  I am a track co-chair at the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences for the track named: Knowledge, Innovation, and Entrepreneurial Systems.  We expanded the track name to this from last year when it was called the Knowledge Systems Track.  We have included Innovation as a part of Knowledge Systems (which is a generalized name for KM) for a few years and have seen solid growth in academic research into use of knowledge/KM as a driver for innovation. So, yes, I agree with Kate that KM is a strong component of innovation...murray jennex

In a message dated 2/18/2015 9:32:50 A.M. Central Standard Time, sikmleaders@... writes:

Stan, thank you so much for hosting this. It's an oasis for many of us, who get caught up in our info-barraged lives. John, Madelyn, Lee, Catherine, and Jean-Claude -- thanks for your great inputs. And thank you to all of you who were tweeting.

Question for you all: Do you agree we are innovation conveners? How can we uplevel this conversation?

Kate

Katrina Pugh
katepugh@...
617 967 3910 (m)

To: sikmleaders
Subject: [sikmleaders] Feb 17 SIKM Call: Kate Pugh: How Great KMers are Innovation Conveners

Kate,

Yes we are because what KM is fundamentally is to drive the end-to end process of sharing, discovering and re-using. When you re-use an idea or IP in another domain, you innovate.

So Kate is right on,  how to uplevel the conversation?

My proposal is that we need to team-up to develop a KIM (Knowledge and Innovation Management) movement. (yeah, I know another TLA!) We collectively create a Point of View and organize to communicate it virally and also to get the Gartner’s and IDC's of this world to embrace it. Stan, you might remember the lunch we had at KMWorld last November where I suggested this approach already.

We are all fighting the same fight, but we are doing it in fragmentation and create waves. We need to create a Tsunami. I proposed we walk the KM talk and unite (SIKM but also other KMers from other industries) to harness our collective knowledge toward a common vision.

I’ll be glad to set-up a structure for us to collaborate toward that end and work with Stan our SIKM lead and others to coordinate.
Please advise
Best
Jean-Claude
Global KM Lead
Microsoft

Sent: ‎Wednesday‎, ‎February‎ ‎18‎, ‎2015 ‎7‎:‎12‎ ‎PM
To: sikmleaders@...

I agree we are innovation leaders/conveners.  I am a track co-chair at the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences for the track named: Knowledge, Innovation, and Entrepreneurial Systems.  We expanded the track name to this from last year when it was called the Knowledge Systems Track.  We have included Innovation as a part of Knowledge Systems (which is a generalized name for KM) for a few years and have seen solid growth in academic research into use of knowledge/KM as a driver for innovation. So, yes, I agree with Kate that KM is a strong component of innovation...murray jennex

In a message dated 2/18/2015 9:32:50 A.M. Central Standard Time, sikmleaders@... writes:

Kate

Katrina Pugh
katepugh@...
617 967 3910 (m)

John Hovell <jhovell@...>

In the UK, there is a Royal Charter (agreement with UK government) that designates an organisation known as the British Standards Institution as the National Standards Body. Interesting enough, it actually defines their remit as "all standards for business, innovation and skills [in the UK]" (not just business).

They've had a standard known as BS 11000 Collaborative Business Relationships for about 10 years. Just last year they were approved to adapt it to an international standard through ISO! Apparently it will be known as ISO 11000 and it's due out next year. They partner with a group known as Institute for Collaborative Working (ICW) on this one.

This has all been news to me since moving to the UK last year. I've finally seen a copy of the standard and from a pure KM perspective (eg including people, process and technology perspectives), it's not too bad in my humble opinion! Purposefully, like most standards, it doesn't tell you HOW to collaborate, but it sure does lay out a section for creating your own guidelines for knowledge sharing, and working with others. I thought it might be mostly supply chain related, but it does mention that your own organisation needs to demonstrate how it collaborates. 

I'm sure SIKM has connections into the people working the standards? In fact, I'll be a bit embarrassed if there's already been an SIKM call on the topic?

I'm not sure that a top down standard approach will be entirely effective, but it's something to watch or contribute to, yes?

Thanks,
John

On 19 Feb 2015, at 02:38, 'Jean-Claude F. Monney' jcfmonney@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Kate,

Yes we are because what KM is fundamentally is to drive the end-to end process of sharing, discovering and re-using. When you re-use an idea or IP in another domain, you innovate.

My proposal is that we need to team-up to develop a KIM (Knowledge and Innovation Management) movement. (yeah, I know another TLA!) We collectively create a Point of View and organize to communicate it virally and also to get the Gartner’s and IDC's of this world to embrace it. Stan, you might remember the lunch we had at KMWorld last November where I suggested this approach already.

We are all fighting the same fight, but we are doing it in fragmentation and create waves. We need to create a Tsunami. I proposed we walk the KM talk and unite (SIKM but also other KMers from other industries) to harness our collective knowledge toward a common vision.

I’ll be glad to set-up a structure for us to collaborate toward that end and work with Stan our SIKM lead and others to coordinate.
Please advise
Best
Jean-Claude
Global KM Lead
Microsoft

Kate

Katrina Pugh
katepugh@...
617 967 3910 (m)

Madelyn Blair

Dear All,

I do a lot of work with story in business. When I talk about effective (as in useful) storytelling, I describe it as having three characteristics: it must be well structured, relevant, and credible.
When you want to use a story in a business situation, it needs to be one that has all the essential parts of the story in order to capture and hold the audience’s attention (well structured).
It must be a story that relates to the situation at hand. There is nothing more boring than listening to a story that has nothing to do with the problem while the clock is ticking. (relevant)
The story must also be one that is believable from the teller. It may be that they are telling a story from personal experience or expertise or simply a trusted relationship (credible).

If I were to apply these characteristics to Kate’s proposal that KM’ers are innovation conveners, this is what I see.
KM’ers bring structures for thinking about and working on challenges together. The structure is malleable based on the specifics, but there remains a sense of rigor to it.
KM is always relevant to the challenge because knowledge (and information and data) is the construct in which the challenge is explored. You can’t even describe the challenge without drawing upon knowledge. It reminds me of mathematics which imbues any serious discipline and, thus, is relevant to it. Knowledge is a part of every business process including innovation. It’s relevant.
Credible comes as it always does through evidence of worthiness. Hopefully, KM’ers and their work bring that with them.

There are other ways of thinking about innovation conveners and KM’ers, but this is for me an effective way of doing so. I welcome your reactions to this rambling. In any event, I hope it is useful to spur more thinking about how to convey the seriousness of innovation and KM.

Madelyn

Madelyn Blair, Ph.D.
Author, speaker, and consultant to management
301-371-7100
301-471-8721 (mobile)
Skype ID: madelynblair
Author of Riding the Current and Essays in Two Voices
www.pelerei.com
Visit my blog: www.ridingthecurrent.com

On Feb 18, 2015, at 8:12 PM, murphjen@aol.com [sikmleaders] wrote:

I agree we are innovation leaders/conveners. I am a track co-chair at the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences for the track named: Knowledge, Innovation, and Entrepreneurial Systems. We expanded the track name to this from last year when it was called the Knowledge Systems Track. We have included Innovation as a part of Knowledge Systems (which is a generalized name for KM) for a few years and have seen solid growth in academic research into use of knowledge/KM as a driver for innovation. So, yes, I agree with Kate that KM is a strong component of innovation...murray jennex

In a message dated 2/18/2015 9:32:50 A.M. Central Standard Time, sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com writes:

Stan, thank you so much for hosting this. It's an oasis for many of us, who get caught up in our info-barraged lives. John, Madelyn, Lee, Catherine, and Jean-Claude -- thanks for your great inputs. And thank you to all of you who were tweeting.

Kate

Katrina Pugh
Academic Director, Columbia Information and Knowledge Strategy Master's Program
Editor of Smarter Innovation (chapter abstracts) (Ark Group, 2014)
Author of Sharing Hidden Know-How (Jossey-Bass/Wiley, 2011)
katepugh@alum.mit.edu
617 967 3910 (m)

From: stangarfield@gmail.com [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com>
To: sikmleaders <sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com>

- February 17: Kate Pugh: How Great KMers are Innovation Conveners
- Presentation http://www.slideshare.net/Katepugh/pugh-how-great-kmers-are-innovation-conveners-150217
- Recording http://www.divshare.com/download/26822896-c21
- Storify https://storify.com/stangarfield/kate-pugh-how-great-kmers-are-innovation-conveners

Thanks to Kate for presenting, to Joel Muzard for recording, to those who live tweeted, and to those who participated in the discussion. You can continue the discussion in the Yahoo! Group by replying to this thread.

Thanks John,

Can you send us a link to that document?

Please advise

Best--

Jean-Claude F. Monney

Global KM Lead
Office of the CTO
Enterprise Services

Office: +1 512 795-5303

Mobile: +1 512 426-4037

jemonney@...

Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:12 AM
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Feb 17 SIKM Call: Kate Pugh: How Great KMers are Innovation...

In the UK, there is a Royal Charter (agreement with UK government) that designates an organisation known as the British Standards Institution as the National Standards Body. Interesting enough, it actually defines their remit as "all standards for business, innovation and skills [in the UK]" (not just business).

They've had a standard known as BS 11000 Collaborative Business Relationships for about 10 years. Just last year they were approved to adapt it to an international standard through ISO! Apparently it will be known as ISO 11000 and it's due out next year. They partner with a group known as Institute for Collaborative Working (ICW) on this one.

This has all been news to me since moving to the UK last year. I've finally seen a copy of the standard and from a pure KM perspective (eg including people, process and technology perspectives), it's not too bad in my humble opinion! Purposefully, like most standards, it doesn't tell you HOW to collaborate, but it sure does lay out a section for creating your own guidelines for knowledge sharing, and working with others. I thought it might be mostly supply chain related, but it does mention that your own organisation needs to demonstrate how it collaborates. 

I'm sure SIKM has connections into the people working the standards? In fact, I'll be a bit embarrassed if there's already been an SIKM call on the topic?

I'm not sure that a top down standard approach will be entirely effective, but it's something to watch or contribute to, yes?

Thanks,

John

On 19 Feb 2015, at 02:38, 'Jean-Claude F. Monney' jcfmonney@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Kate,

Please advise

Best

Jean-Claude

Global KM Lead

Microsoft

Kate

Katrina Pugh

katepugh@...

617 967 3910 (m)

·        

• Thanks to Kate for presenting, to Joel Muzard for recording, to those who live tweeted, and to those who participated in the discussion. You can continue the discussion in the Yahoo! Group by replying to this thread.

Stan Garfield

There is information at http://www.instituteforcollaborativeworking.com/bs11000.html

The full document must be purchased.

Madelyn Blair

Dear All,

Kate is having technical difficulties and asked me to post her thoughts for her. See below.

Date: February 20, 2015 at 8:35:48 AM EST
To: "sikmleaders@..." <sikmleaders@...>
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Feb 17 SIKM Call: Kate Pugh: How Great KMers are Innovation...

All
This discussion is getting very exciting!
One thing that I don't think comes out from a standard like this, is a clear concept of what innovation is, and why specifically we need to have the kinds of convening skills Madelyn describes in her innovation process. (And which we explore as nauseum in Smarter Innovation.  As I said in my presentation innovation is a team sport. However there is a lot more than just bringing people together. 

I'm leery of standards, but love collaborations. 

Kate

Katrina Pugh 
President, AlignConsulting and 
Academic Director, Columbia University Information and Knowledge Strategy
617-967-3910

On Feb 19, 2015, at 2:36 PM, "stangarfield@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

There is information at http://www.instituteforcollaborativeworking.com/bs11000.html

The full document must be purchased.