Do Online CoP Roles including moderation differ greatly from face-to-face ones? #CoP #roles

Arshad Ahmed

Hello All, new here!

My question is about online CoP's Although they're in an embryonic stage where I'm currently working, things are going well. One of the areas I'm looking into more are potential roles in them.

Would anyone care to comment on if they are the same or akin to face-to-face communities (Sponser, Champion, Cordinator and Facilitator for example) or if there are some nuances or additional roles. I found a useful paper entitled Connect and Inspire. Online Communities of Practice in Education that detailed other roles or sub roles (that may or may not be applicable or useful in this particular Oil and Gas context), such as Cybrarians, sub-domain experts, thought leaders.

I thought I would reach out and see if anyone had any additional content or advice on this area.

Thanks in Advance!

Louis-Pierre Guillaume

Hi,

About CoPs using social networks,  I suggest you read the white paper I have written  with colleagues.

It is available from my LinkedIn profile
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/louispierre

Or directly from
http://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_Doc_Ref=998-2095-03-19-14AR0_EN

Best regards

Louis-Pierre Guillaume
+33 6 10 33 63 21
louis-pierre@...
(envoye depuis mon telephone)

Le 12 août 2015 16:51, "as_ahmed1976@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...> a écrit :

[...]

Many thanks Louis-Pierre. I've now downloaded your paper and had a cursory look over it - looks interesting! I'll get back to you if I have any questions.

Thanks!

Jonathan Harman

A useful paper Louis-Pierre.  I would also add that you need to enable at least the Core Team to get together physically at the start of the CoP and once per year thereafter if at all possible.  Virtual CoPs take a lot more facilitating by the Leader/Facilitator doing what Chris Collison calls 'The Party Host' role - you know, the one who welcomes people in at the door, puts a drink in their hand, introduces them to other people and generally helps the party to go with a swing.

Stan Garfield

Arshad, welcome to the community, and thanks for posting here!

There are some differences in face-to-face and online communities based on the physical and technical realites.  But fundamentally, the same requirements for effective leaders, active members, and useful interactions exist for both.

I'm sure you will get additional good replies. Here are links to what I have written about communities.

Arshad Ahmed

Stan, Jon,

Many thanks for the welcome and the links - genuinely helpful!

Lee, Jim <jlee@...>

From a recent benchmarking study by APQC, a few characteristics of a successful community emerged in addition to the many well-known practices of community effectiveness. They included:

1.      Hosting in-person events. As noted in an earlier response to your question there is great value in an initial face-to-face launch of a community. In addition to that, regular physical gathering reinforce the virtual component of the community. For the US Navy, their communities meet at least once per year, and even twice per year if possible. These gatherings allow for more spontaneous conversations as well as offering an easier social engagement among members.

2.      Positioning discussion forums as the centerpiece of the KM program. This is the method utilized by the US Air Force as their communities are entirely virtual based. Similarly, ConocoPhillips has found great success with its virtual communities, including cross-community expertise sharing which has accelerated the change management efforts. As people from one community receive expertise from someone in a different community, they realize that help can come from outside of their “neighborhood” and that they are part of a much larger organization.

3.      Developing advanced KM applications and honing based upon user feedback. Clearly, the virtual community space offers this opportunity and facilitates such activity, as the engaged community members are often aware of newer applications and their capabilities compared to the existing methods. At MITRE, this is known as “innovation from the edge” where user groups can experiment with low-cost IT tools and if found to be useful, can advocate their use to the enterprise to be supported by IT.

4.      Leveraging enterprise taxonomy. This is needed generally, but it is even more important in a virtual environment. For search to be even more effective than it may already be, a controlled vocabulary (aka taxonomy) simply provides more focused search results. To illustrate the need, one only needs to consider folksonomies—great in concept but fraught with problems in application. At Baker Hughes, the enterprise taxonomy allows the variety of knowledge nuggets and expertise whether from discussion forums, wikis, repositories, etc. to be found in subsequent user searches.

BTW, to reinforce Stan Garfield’s comments on what makes virtual communities effective, you need only to look to Stan himself. This forum is the ultimate evidence of how effective virtual communities can be.

……………………………….

Jim Lee

Senior Advisor, APQC

+1-713-685-4764 - voicemail

+1-216-338-3548 – Mobile

jlee@...

www.apqc.org

Paul McDowall

There are some differences associated with the tech vs face-to-face interaction of course, however there are often differences between any CoP.  While the core elements and attributes are most often present and critical to its effectiveness, the various attributes could be seen as the various sound (frequency) levels on a stereo.  Some stereos can adjust specific frequencies, while other stereos provide a number of preset sound frequncy settings which provide a superior sound quality based on the style of musisc (settings such as Hall, Concert, Rock, etc.  Sustaining effectiveness within and from a CoP is a function of seeing needs/changes and addressing them.  From my best practice research here is a link (to my website: www.knowhowworks.com) to an excerpt related to Social Networking with emphasis on CoPs which describes three critical success factors and nine key attributes.   http://media.wix.com/ugd/a7bc43_51561a1fc6d143b1bab8a9af054e45cd.pdf

Best
Paul

Edited

Hi Ahmed

I worked back through these posts…in response to your question…and I have two questions for you, Ahmed.

1.       What kind of CoP training did you provide at the beginning for the facilitator/leader, core team, SMEs, and the CoP members?  My experience has been that while intuitive, there is real value in “CoP Training” that aligns with CoP governance and sustainment.

2.       In the current efforts, did the CoP leader/core team spend time developing/revising a/the CoP Charter? I believe that going through the process of establishing a charter does many things that not only help to stand up a new community, but also to sustain an existing/reenergized community. Further, some CoPs also post the Charter on their online site so new visitors/potential members can understand the value that CoP may be able to provide to them.

Perhaps this template can be of use to you as a guide to consider some additional actions.

Template_Charter_Community_of_Practice_2.2015.pdf

Best

Bill

Bill Kaplan CPCM

+1 571.234.5942