Do Online CoP Roles including moderation differ greatly from face-to-face ones? #CoP #roles

Arshad Ahmed

Hello All, new here!

My question is about online CoP's Although they're in an embryonic stage where I'm currently working, things are going well. One of the areas I'm looking into more are potential roles in them.

Would anyone care to comment on if they are the same or akin to face-to-face communities (Sponser, Champion, Cordinator and Facilitator for example) or if there are some nuances or additional roles. I found a useful paper entitled Connect and Inspire. Online Communities of Practice in Education that detailed other roles or sub roles (that may or may not be applicable or useful in this particular Oil and Gas context), such as Cybrarians, sub-domain experts, thought leaders.

I thought I would reach out and see if anyone had any additional content or advice on this area.

Thanks in Advance!

Louis-Pierre Guillaume

Hi,

About CoPs using social networks,  I suggest you read the white paper I have written  with colleagues.

It is available from my LinkedIn profile
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/louispierre

Or directly from
http://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_Doc_Ref=998-2095-03-19-14AR0_EN

Best regards

Louis-Pierre Guillaume
+33 6 10 33 63 21
louis-pierre@...
(envoye depuis mon telephone)

Le 12 août 2015 16:51, "as_ahmed1976@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...> a écrit :

Hello All, new here!

My question is about online CoP's Although they're in an embryonic stage where I'm currently working, things are going well. One of the areas I'm looking into more are potential roles in them.

Would anyone care to comment on if they are the same or akin to face-to-face communities (Sponser, Champion, Cordinator and Facilitator for example) or if there are some nuances or additional roles. I found a useful paper entitled Connect and Inspire. Online Communities of Practice in Education that detailed other roles or sub roles (that may or may not be applicable or useful in this particular Oil and Gas context), such as Cybrarians, sub-domain experts, thought leaders.

I thought I would reach out and see if anyone had any additional content or advice on this area.

Thanks in Advance!

Arshad Ahmed

Many thanks Louis-Pierre. I've now downloaded your paper and had a cursory look over it - looks interesting! I'll get back to you if I have any questions. 

Thanks! 

Jonathan Harman

A useful paper Louis-Pierre.  I would also add that you need to enable at least the Core Team to get together physically at the start of the CoP and once per year thereafter if at all possible.  Virtual CoPs take a lot more facilitating by the Leader/Facilitator doing what Chris Collison calls 'The Party Host' role - you know, the one who welcomes people in at the door, puts a drink in their hand, introduces them to other people and generally helps the party to go with a swing. 

Stan Garfield

Arshad, welcome to the community, and thanks for posting here!

There are some differences in face-to-face and online communities based on the physical and technical realites.  But fundamentally, the same requirements for effective leaders, active members, and useful interactions exist for both.

I'm sure you will get additional good replies. Here are links to what I have written about communities.

Arshad Ahmed

Stan, Jon,

Many thanks for the welcome and the links - genuinely helpful!

Lee, Jim <jlee@...>

From a recent benchmarking study by APQC, a few characteristics of a successful community emerged in addition to the many well-known practices of community effectiveness. They included:

1.      Hosting in-person events. As noted in an earlier response to your question there is great value in an initial face-to-face launch of a community. In addition to that, regular physical gathering reinforce the virtual component of the community. For the US Navy, their communities meet at least once per year, and even twice per year if possible. These gatherings allow for more spontaneous conversations as well as offering an easier social engagement among members.

2.      Positioning discussion forums as the centerpiece of the KM program. This is the method utilized by the US Air Force as their communities are entirely virtual based. Similarly, ConocoPhillips has found great success with its virtual communities, including cross-community expertise sharing which has accelerated the change management efforts. As people from one community receive expertise from someone in a different community, they realize that help can come from outside of their “neighborhood” and that they are part of a much larger organization.

3.      Developing advanced KM applications and honing based upon user feedback. Clearly, the virtual community space offers this opportunity and facilitates such activity, as the engaged community members are often aware of newer applications and their capabilities compared to the existing methods. At MITRE, this is known as “innovation from the edge” where user groups can experiment with low-cost IT tools and if found to be useful, can advocate their use to the enterprise to be supported by IT.

4.      Leveraging enterprise taxonomy. This is needed generally, but it is even more important in a virtual environment. For search to be even more effective than it may already be, a controlled vocabulary (aka taxonomy) simply provides more focused search results. To illustrate the need, one only needs to consider folksonomies—great in concept but fraught with problems in application. At Baker Hughes, the enterprise taxonomy allows the variety of knowledge nuggets and expertise whether from discussion forums, wikis, repositories, etc. to be found in subsequent user searches.

BTW, to reinforce Stan Garfield’s comments on what makes virtual communities effective, you need only to look to Stan himself. This forum is the ultimate evidence of how effective virtual communities can be.

……………………………….

Jim Lee

Senior Advisor, APQC

+1-713-685-4764 - voicemail

+1-216-338-3548 – Mobile

jlee@...

www.apqc.org

Paul McDowall

There are some differences associated with the tech vs face-to-face interaction of course, however there are often differences between any CoP.  While the core elements and attributes are most often present and critical to its effectiveness, the various attributes could be seen as the various sound (frequency) levels on a stereo.  Some stereos can adjust specific frequencies, while other stereos provide a number of preset sound frequncy settings which provide a superior sound quality based on the style of musisc (settings such as Hall, Concert, Rock, etc.  Sustaining effectiveness within and from a CoP is a function of seeing needs/changes and addressing them.  From my best practice research here is a link (to my website: www.knowhowworks.com) to an excerpt related to Social Networking with emphasis on CoPs which describes three critical success factors and nine key attributes.   http://media.wix.com/ugd/a7bc43_51561a1fc6d143b1bab8a9af054e45cd.pdf

Best
Paul

Edited

Hi Ahmed

I worked back through these posts…in response to your question…and I have two questions for you, Ahmed.

1.       What kind of CoP training did you provide at the beginning for the facilitator/leader, core team, SMEs, and the CoP members?  My experience has been that while intuitive, there is real value in “CoP Training” that aligns with CoP governance and sustainment.

2.       In the current efforts, did the CoP leader/core team spend time developing/revising a/the CoP Charter? I believe that going through the process of establishing a charter does many things that not only help to stand up a new community, but also to sustain an existing/reenergized community. Further, some CoPs also post the Charter on their online site so new visitors/potential members can understand the value that CoP may be able to provide to them.

Perhaps this template can be of use to you as a guide to consider some additional actions.

Template_Charter_Community_of_Practice_2.2015.pdf

Best

Bill

Bill Kaplan CPCM

+1 571.234.5942

+1 703.401.4198

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Sent: August 13, 2015 09:40
To: sikmleaders@...
Subject: [sikmleaders] Re: Do Online CoP Roles including moderation differ greatly from face-to-face ones?

There are some differences associated with the tech vs face-to-face interaction of course, however there are often differences between any CoP.  While the core elements and attributes are most often present and critical to its effectiveness, the various attributes could be seen as the various sound (frequency) levels on a stereo.  Some stereos can adjust specific frequencies, while other stereos provide a number of preset sound frequncy settings which provide a superior sound quality based on the style of musisc (settings such as Hall, Concert, Rock, etc.  Sustaining effectiveness within and from a CoP is a function of seeing needs/changes and addressing them.  From my best practice research here is a link (to my website: www.knowhowworks.com) to an excerpt related to Social Networking with emphasis on CoPs which describes three critical success factors and nine key attributes.   http://media.wix.com/ugd/a7bc43_51561a1fc6d143b1bab8a9af054e45cd.pdf

Best

Paul

Jonathan Harman

Edited

Hi Ahmed,

Attached is a Qualitative Health Check Tool I developed which should give you a lot of pointers.
Qualitative Community Health Check Tool.xls

Jonathan
Mobile: 077 383 12889

Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:04:14 +0000
Subject: RE: [sikmleaders] Re: Do Online CoP Roles including moderation differ greatly from face-to-face ones? [1 Attachment]

Hi Ahmed

I worked back through these posts…in response to your question…and I have two questions for you, Ahmed.

1. What kind of CoP training did you provide at the beginning for the facilitator/leader, core team, SMEs, and the CoP members?  My experience has been that while intuitive, there is real value in “CoP Training” that aligns with CoP governance and sustainment.

2. In the current efforts, did the CoP leader/core team spend time developing/revising a/the CoP Charter? I believe that going through the process of establishing a charter does many things that not only help to stand up a new community, but also to sustain an existing/reenergized community. Further, some CoPs also post the Charter on their online site so new visitors/potential members can understand the value that CoP may be able to provide to them.

Perhaps this template can be of use to you as a guide to consider some additional actions.
Template_Charter_Community_of_Practice_2.2015.pdf

Best
Bill

Bill Kaplan CPCM

+1 571.234.5942

+1 703.401.4198

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Sent: August 13, 2015 09:40
Subject: [sikmleaders] Re: Do Online CoP Roles including moderation differ greatly from face-to-face ones?

There are some differences associated with the tech vs face-to-face interaction of course, however there are often differences between any CoP.  While the core elements and attributes are most often present and critical to its effectiveness, the various attributes could be seen as the various sound (frequency) levels on a stereo.  Some stereos can adjust specific frequencies, while other stereos provide a number of preset sound frequncy settings which provide a superior sound quality based on the style of musisc (settings such as Hall, Concert, Rock, etc.  Sustaining effectiveness within and from a CoP is a function of seeing needs/changes and addressing them.  From my best practice research here is a link (to my website: www.knowhowworks.com) to an excerpt related to Social Networking with emphasis on CoPs which describes three critical success factors and nine key attributes.  http://media.wix.com/ugd/a7bc43_51561a1fc6d143b1bab8a9af054e45cd.pdf

Best
Paul

Jonathan Harman

Edited

File attachment didn't seem to work from email so I try again.
Jonathan Harman

Alice MacGillivray <alice@...>

I recommend the book Digital Habitats (Wenger, White, Smith). It was years in the making: morphed from a technology-related report to a book focusing more on the social than the technical. It emphasizes the ways in which social and technical are integrated to support learning. There have also been many theses and dissertations written about communities of practice work online, including an interesting one about leadership by one of the CompanyCommand founders. Let me know if you want it; I can probably dig it out.

Alice

Alice MacGillivray, PhD

Arshad Ahmed

Thanks for sharing Paul :)

Arshad Ahmed

Hi Bill,

Thanks also for the interest and the template. To answer your questions:

1. I wasn't present at the launch of this particular CoP and I'm not aware of any training provided to the facilitators and core teams etc. I'm not completely new to the area of CoP's, however I have not ever implemented any specific training for coordinators and so on. I think it would be useful going forward though. If you could point me in the direction to any training advice that would be really helpful.

2. A charter was created. Again, I wasn't present at the initial CoP launch, however I don't think it is being used as a dynamic document and this is certaintly something I could look into placing more of a focus on. I like the idea of the charter acting as some key comandments for the CoP. I have been asked to input into the look and feel of a SharePoint 2013 Community Template. I'm going to suggest the charter is made more visible there.

Arshad

Arshad Ahmed

Hi J,

Many thanks for this. Another useful template! I have a seperate question about something interesting i noted in this Excel file. I will take the conversation offline as it doesn't seem to be linked to the current question!

Thanks

Ahmed

Glad to help you…we can arrange a call to discuss where you can find some of the things you need.

Skype works for me

Bill

Sent: August 14, 2015 14:44
To: sikmleaders@...

Hi Bill,

Thanks also for the interest and the template. To answer your questions:

1. I wasn't present at the launch of this particular CoP and I'm not aware of any training provided to the facilitators and core teams etc. I'm not completely new to the area of CoP's, however I have not ever implemented any specific training for coordinators and so on. I think it would be useful going forward though. If you could point me in the direction to any training advice that would be really helpful.

2. A charter was created. Again, I wasn't present at the initial CoP launch, however I don't think it is being used as a dynamic document and this is certaintly something I could look into placing more of a focus on. I like the idea of the charter acting as some key comandments for the CoP. I have been asked to input into the look and feel of a SharePoint 2013 Community Template. I'm going to suggest the charter is made more visible there.

Arshad

Arshad Ahmed

Hi Bill,

Thank you that sounds great, I would like to take you up on your offer. I will contact you via email and swap Skype ID's and a suitable time for us.

Regards, Arshad

Arshad Ahmed

Everyone, I just wanted to thank you all - especially Stan for introducing me to the group. I am ovewhelmed by the number and quality of the responses.

Many thanks again.

Arshad Ahmed

Hi Alice, apologies for the late reply. I'm having trouble with my browser. I have Cultivating Communites of Practice, but not Digital Habits. Would be very interested in some related These and Dissertations.

Alice MacGillivray <alice@...>

Sure, I will get some information about CoP theses and dissertations for you. It will take a bit of time; there are now hundreds of thousands with some CoP focus. I might create a modest bibliography for my website with titles, abstracts etc.

I’m more likely to move on this if I have some more input from you and other SIKM members about what interests you most. This will probably be a weekend project for me.

Alice MacGillivray