Draft Tool: Intranets and Major Events - embedding KM processes #conferences #intranet

Lynn Tveskov

Edited

I would be grateful for your input on the attached tool.  It is designed to help my colleagues think through ways to use our intranet with their major face-to-face events (conferences with around 300 participants) to achieve their work goals (listed in the first column: increase registration, etc.)  It’s about embedding KM into already ongoing work processes, so I don’t call it KM.

Making+the+Most+of+Your+Event.docx

Context:

  • Nonprofit membership organization leading/serving a global network of about 1200 affiliates, mostly in the US.
  • KM staffing: 1 knowledge manager (me), reporting to the training function. No budget.
  • No KM strategy or framework writ large; more “guerilla” efforts to prove value.
  • New Drupal-based intranet (1.5 years old with a lot of KM capability - staff profiles, discussions, social engagement tools such as "likes", content repository).  Colleagues now expect to have and post event resources to an Event Materials page on the intranet.
  • Organizational culture of "publish or perish" and using the intranet for mostly content repository.
  • Slowly getting more "conversation", but network is deeply wedded to listserv technology.

Many thanks,

Lynn