New About Yammer.. #Yammer

Howie Cohen

Has anyone heard more about what Microsoft is going to do with Yammer now that they have shed a good part of that team?

So Now Microsoft Axes the Yammer Community Team

Thoughts?

Daan Boom

No not really but today at noon a Yamjam session is planned by Microsoft and perhaps the subject will be raised. I can share if something came out of that.

Daan

On Jan 26, 2016, at 10:23, howardscohenmba@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Has anyone heard more about what Microsoft is going to do with Yammer now that they have shed a good part of that team?

So Now Microsoft Axes the Yammer Community Team

Thoughts?

Glickman, Larry <LGlickman@...>

It was very strange. I had a meeting AT Yammer last Thursday, then the next day I heard they let 40 employees go. Certainly, nothing was mentioned to me  while I was there.

Interestingly enough, Yammer had scheduled a Community Management YamJam today in their O365 Yammer network, which I plan to attend. I am sure the issue of the layoffs will come up.

Larry Glickman

Director Network Engagement  and Collaboration

Union for Reform Judaism

lglickman@...

Has anyone heard more about what Microsoft is going to do with Yammer now that they have shed a good part of that team?

So Now Microsoft Axes the Yammer Community Team

image

So Now Microsoft Axes the Yammer Community Team

Remember when Yammer had its $1.4 million engagement party, celebrating its upcoming billion-dollar acquisition nuptials with that sexy silver fox Microsoft? Sor...

Preview by Yahoo

Thoughts?

Eric Herberholz

Not too surprising. Big company buys competition, absorbs the technology, lays off the people who came with the technology.

Stan Garfield

Douglas Kalish

I can share a bit more information that hopefully is helpful. Two of my colleagues met with our Microsoft account leads this week and asked if the Yammer Community Team going away was a signal for something else.

Good news is that Yammer is still definitely part of the future of Office 365. Microsoft felt like Yammer was integrated into the suite to the point where it didn't need a separate support organization just for Yammer and that their broader Office 365 support model would encompass Yammer.

Arthur Shelley

Doug,

Thanks for the update.

In my experience, when the people who have a passion for the product are gone, the product fades away…

I hope this is not the case and that the Yammer user community continue the great connections work the community managers were doing. Short sighted decision, but that’s the stupidity of big organisations run by bean counters.

I hope you and your colleagues are all OK.

Arthur Shelley

Intelligent Answers

Founder: The Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network

Author: The Organizational Zoo & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader

New Book due out 2016: KNOWledge SUCCESSion

Mb. +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley  Twitter: @Metaphorage

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4229168

Free behavioural profiles: www.organizationalzoo.com

*Author:*The Organizational Zoo & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader

<http://www.organizationalzoo.com/>

I can share a bit more information that hopefully is helpful. Two of my
colleagues met with our Microsoft account leads this week and asked if
the Yammer Community Team going away was a signal for something else.

Good news is that Yammer is still definitely part of the future of
Office 365. Microsoft felt like Yammer was integrated into the suite to
the point where it didn't need a separate support organization just for
Yammer and that their broader Office 365 support model would encompass
Yammer.

Arthur Shelley

Hi Stephen,

I just finished a chapter yesterday that is completely aligned with your sentiments. It explored the shortening of cycles and how efficiency and tactics for outputs has almost drowned out strategic effectiveness/sustainability for outcomes. Perhaps you caught the (justifiably) grumpy bug via my email?  Seems antivirus algorithms don’t detect that type of infection… J

Beware, coffee can fuel adrenalin spikes and calming may not be the outcome (best double check your next email before posting as a safety net).

A good weekend to all (enjoy your coffee slowly and short escape from the rat race).

Regards

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Director & Principal Consultant
knowquestion Pty Ltd
E: sb@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================

[sikmleaders] wrote:
> Doug,
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> In my experience, when the people who have a passion for the product are
> gone, the product fades away…
>
> I hope this is not the case and that the Yammer user community continue
> the great connections work the community managers were doing. Short
> sighted decision, but that’s the stupidity of big organisations run by
> bean counters.
>
> I hope you and your colleagues are all OK.

> Regards
>
> */Arthur Shelley/*
>
> Intelligent Answers
>
> *Founder:*The Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network
>
> *Author:*The Organizational Zoo & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader
>
> New Book due out 2016: KNOW/ledge/ SUCCESS/ion/
>
> *Mb.*+61 413 047 408 *Skype:* Arthur.Shelley *Twitter:* @Metaphorage
>
> *LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4229168 *
>
> *Free behavioural profiles:*www.organizationalzoo.com
> <http://www.organizationalzoo.com/>

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Of course Microsoft will say that Yammer is going to be supported. However words and deeds are two very different things.

Typically when a large software vendor acquires a smaller one, the first people to get the chop are the sales and customer service folks so it's a wonder the Yammer CSMs stayed on as long as they did.

My own point of view here:
http://innotecture.com.au/2016/01/26/yammered/

Bruce Boyes

Following on from Matt's comments about Slack and HipChat, I've never used Yammer and know almost nothing about it, but I've never had better workplace social software collaboration than I have now.

Every workplace I've been in here in China uses the groups feature of QQ http://www.imqq.com/ to establish workplace collaboration groups, and increasingly people are switching their groups to WeChat http://www.wechat.com/en/ which is the latest offering from the same company. I've never met anyone here, including people of all ages in remote villages, who doesn't have a QQ account, WeChat account, and some level of smartphone due to the very low cost of the basic models of some of the local brands.

For example, here at Shanxi University, our teaching group has a WeChat group, where the department posts notices etc. for us and we share information about events, projects, etc. Each of my classes also has its own QQ group, so in a matter of seconds I can effectively communicate information to the students and facilitate their interaction with that information, each other and me.

Something that assists this workplace social software collaboration is the absence of barriers between the workplace and private use of social software. There's none of the employer concerns over the workplace use of equivalent software in Australia, for example as there is with Facebook. Do the students get distracted by social media on their phones? Sometimes yes, but only when there's a flat point in the lesson, and that's my problem, not theirs.

This level of workplace social software collaboration means that communication is in real time. We don't use email at all - not ever - and it makes a big difference. Not only is there no email overload, but there's also no lengthy wait for replies as there can be with emails.

For some workplaces, there are obviously security questions in regard the use of such public platforms, but I would have the same concerns about Yammer.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Howie Cohen

I don't know what Microsoft is thinking about Yammer but generally we have seen over the years a product roadmap.   I read a post last night from https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/01/26/yammer-death-greatly-exaggerated.aspx but my experience says that Yammer doesn't directly equal corp sales.   I used Yammer for a long time in more than one environment and just like every other social software platform in large organizations it requires community management.  That really means dollars in labor.   Which is looked at as an overhead cost.   Fixed overhead growing costs with no hard line items to show for direct sales or growth return is not an easy sell.   This community knows it and I suspect MS knows it too.   Often we see intra-social networks, extra-social networks, content management, chat, wiki, discussion boards.. etc it happens with shadow IT and when seen it causes a frenzy of questions.    Why the hell are we spending money on all these communication tools?  Where is the return?  What are the risks if we just let everyone do whatever the heck they want?  I think it is much easier for MS to say.. "Here buy my SharePoint tech, let it grow like kudzu in your environment and we will license the hell out of it"  Yammer just adds to that complication with hard to find explicit value.   Clearly, this community knows and understands the value.. but explain it to the CIO.  See what she says... I bet MS has figured out that it adds value but....

Best.
Howie

Arthur Shelley

Hi Bruce,

I strongly support your comments on the benefits of social interactions for learning. I have used a variety of ways of doing this over time and have found blending the learning conversations into the social interactions of the learner networks  certainly enhances the quality of learning.

I am mentoring a mature aged PhD student from Bangkok University who is researching this. She is a former business woman who is now a practicing tertiary teacher who was doing this as part of her natural teaching style. She is generating good support for how this works and how to optimise it.

[...]

Howie,

You make a good point about the limitations of how large organizations (don’t) think. They do not compare apples with apples (mainly because they are ignorant of where true value is created).

They measure the cost of supporting the social software in tangible terms because it is easily measured.  Simply add up the number of people involved and multiply by the salaries.

However, because many of the benefits generated are (on the surface) intangible, they are too lazy (ignorant?) to explore the tangible value that flows from  these. How many hours have you saved by securing an answer for SIKM Leaders forum (or any other social forum)- probably many = benefits (and probable ROI). These are not included.

Ask other questions of relevance to enable eliciting of the tangible value created from intangibles…

How many errors have I avoided because I learnt something to avoid?

How much more productive am I because I engage with others (both in terms of elevated capabilities and motivation)?

How much does out social interactions reduce our staff turnover and increase our productivity?

How does our culture with a strong sense of belonging and shared purpose attract the best talent?

Why do I invest my time and effort sharing ideas on social forums like SIKM Leaders?

The list can go on extensively, but the bean counters don’t know the questions and don’t know their value.  Why?

Because they are rewarded on short term savings, not on the growth they generate. They are control and spending focused rather than investment and ROI focused.

Sometimes we are our own enemies too. We claim the benefits for ourselves rather than being humble and thanking the community for our performance. Why?

Because we too are measured on our short term productivity. It is more personally and reputation rewarding to say it was me, than to thank others.

Real leaders say “look at what the team have achieved” (rather than look at the difference I made). If we changed our mindsets (and measured success in terms of longer-term outcomes instead of short-term outputs), we would not be having this conversation.  It would be clear to everyone that removing the community facilitators is detrimental to creativity, innovation, belonging, trust, loyalty, productivity and many other “intangible measures”, leading ultimately overall performance enhancement. Only when we start to measure these things and link them to tangible benefits will the decision makers change their approach.

As Einstein stated:

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

On that note, Thanks folks- I have always enjoyed our conversations and I have learnt a lot from those who share their ideas (even from those I don’t agree with).