Knowledge audits/knowledge mapping #mapping #audit

Alice Sue Claeys

Hi SIKM Community,

I am new to KM and have the daunting opportunity of developing a KM program in an organization full of knowledge hoarders and folks resistant to change.

In my research and learning, I am not finding too many useful insights on the practical application of knowledge audits and knowledge mapping. I am hoping the community can shed some light.

What are people’s thoughts on knowledge audits & knowledge mapping?

Are you performing them in your organization?

If so, are there tips for doing them successfully?

               If you aren’t doing them, why aren’t you?

For those doing them, are you engaging external vendors or doing them yourself?

What sort of time commitment should be expected if one does include it as part of the program development?

Are you including them on a regularly defined cycle or performing only when necessary?

 I am greatly appreciative of any insights you can share.

Alice Sue

Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies which may be in your possession. UCB screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. UCB accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail. (Ref: #*UG1107) [Ref-UG1107]

Hi Alice Sue

Lots of good questions and lots of answers…too much for writing out here.

Feel free to contact me, we can set up some time to have a conversation, and I will share what I have.

Best

Bill

Bill Kaplan CPCM

+1 571.234.5942

+1 703.401.4198

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

[...]

Jim Lee

Alice Sue,

As Bill noted below, there are several cases where audits and K mapping have helped organizations. I too, can connect with you directly if you would like. Perhaps if you get a sufficient number of responses, that you could post the collective back to the SIKM group for everyone’s visibility and benefit.

Jim Lee

mailto:jimleesrKM@...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jimleesr

+1-216-338-3548

skype: jimpmp2000

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

[...]

Stan Garfield

Alice Sue, welcome to the community, and thanks for posting here.  Here are some resources which may be helpful:

https://www.apqc.org/knowledge-base/collections/knowledge-mapping-concepts-and-tools

http://www.actkm.org/userfiles/File/presentations/KM%20101%20-%20Knowledge%20Audits%20and%20Mapping.ppt

http://www.tlainc.com/articl145.htm

http://www.greenchameleon.com/gc/blog_detail/conducting_a_knowledge_audit/

http://www.greenchameleon.com/uploads/Knowledge_Audit_Infographic_Posterv3.pdf

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/knowledge-audits-and-knowledge-mapping-a-practical-guide-for-knowledge-managers-chandos-information-professional-series/9781843346524

http://www.anecdote.com/2005/11/knowledge-mapping-sensemaking/

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/kpm.194/abstract

Stephen Bounds

Hi Alice Sue,

The only thing I would add is that you should have a clear idea of the BUSINESS outcome you are seeking from any knowledge audit.

Are you seeking to:
- control risks if key staff leave?
- expose tacit knowledge used in processes?
- confirm the soundness of staff knowledge?
- understand motivations for sharing or not sharing?

This will help to inform the parameters and outcomes of your knowledge audit (or indeed, whether a knowledge audit is appropriate at all).

Cheers,
-- Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Director & Principal Consultant
knowquestion Pty Ltd
E: sb@knowquestion.com.au
M: 0401 829 096
====================================

On 30/01/2016 4:36 AM, AliceSue.Claeys@ucb.com [sikmleaders] wrote:
[...]

Paul McDowall

Hi Alice,
As Stephen said, you should first determine the outcome you need, then select the best tool/approach for the job.  Maybe an audit/map will be useful, but if you are trying to get a quick win, the audit/map may not be the best option.  In fact you can start very simply by simply asking managers and staff what they struggle with from a business perspective, and from there, determining what Knowledge-related issue would be a good starting point.  I've done it and it has tremendous benefits on a variety of fronts, especially in an organization that's resistant to change and sharing.
Happy to discuss this further with you if you're interested.
Best
Paul

Paul McDowall
Know How Works