Topics

Knowledge Transfer Tool -- for Maximum future value #knowledge-retention #knowledge-transfer

Wendy Valot <wcvalot@...>

Jeffrey, David and All,

This is a great conversation stream, and much needed in organizations -- not just for retirees, but for all organizations that are or will be in flux.

I wanted to continue this discussion stream with points on two topics: a) knowledge categorization and b) masters classes.

a) Knowledge Categorization
To add to David Smith's great insight below -- I would say 'begin with the end in mind' -- i.e.  the template will have the most future value if it includes a way to organize the insight for future use.  With that in mind - my key question would be:
  • What are the top 5 to 10 job responsibilities for which the expert is accountable?
  • And then -- within those 5 to 10 accountabilities -- add David's questions.

Example:  If the expert's #1 job responsibility focused around developing cost or time estimates, "Estimating" could be the first level of knowledge categorization.  THEN we'd add as requirements on the template:
  • critical knowledge from retiree viewpoint -
  • resources (documents & people) of knowledge {AKA - Knowledge Source}
  • who seeks support from retiree  {Audience}
  • etc.
  • etc.

b) Masters Classes
Jeffrey -- I am hoping you have at least a few weeks time with this retiree, because -- as you know -- some of the best knowledge can't be written down or stored.  And David definitely addresses that when with his bullet item of "Build plan to transfer knowledge and fill gaps".   What I've seen work well for tacit transfer = a Masters Class....and maybe you are already planning one.  This class is not about a slide presentation by the expert.  It's about a small group of folks, the future audience for the expert's insight, getting with the expert and seeing how they truly think and solve problems.   Ideally -- the expert helps come up with scenarios in which a problem needs to be solved and there are alternative actions to take...and the audience / participants 'work' with the expert while they reason through to the correct scenario.

I hope some or all of this is helpful!   Please let me know if you'd like more insight on either the categorization scheme idea above or the Masters Class info.

Best regards,
Wendy Valot

To: sikmleaders@...
From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500
Subject: Re: [sikmleaders] Knowledge Transfer Tool

Here is my general outline

Planning session with retiree
  • Determine critical knowledge from retiree viewpoint
  • Define resources (documents & people) of knowledge
  • List who seeks support from retiree

  • Determine plan to collect and store retiree knowledge library
  • Planning session with people who seek support from retiree
  • Include retiree peers and organization + include replacement
  • Determine critical knowledge needed from their viewpoint – Critical Knowledge Form is a guide
  • Compare knowledge needs with retiree knowledge list and determine knowledge gaps
  • Build plan to transfer knowledge and fill gaps

David Smith

On Jul 14, 2016, at 2:28 PM, jeffrey.keefer@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

I was asked to develop and use a knowledge transfer tool for a retiring senior staff member who has a lot of specialized knowledge we need to capture before he leaves (and before his replacement gets hired). This is similar to some knowledge audit work I am doing, though I think it requires more of a checklist that will then lead to conversations or at least prework to conversations we will then need to have about all of this.

Does anybody have a standard tool for this that I can borrow as a template and then adapt?

Thank you.

Jeffrey

David Smith <davidlamarsmith@...>

I’ve done videos with retirees and various elicitation sessions and ended with documents and videos that are really not used. Concentrating on the critical knowledge needed by peers and the retiree’s organization at least solves their initial worries.

Good luck.

David Smith

To: sikmleaders@...
From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500

[...]

I can't quite tell, David, if you are agreeing with some of the insight I shared or not.

To clarify, I wasn't condoning documents or videos, either.....especially if they are not utilized.

To clarify:
a) With Knowledge categorization -- it would be critical knowledge.  So we agree there.  I was adding that it should, ideally, be sorted [on line, searchable] in your company or client's existing taxonomy.  For me that it usually by major discipline and roles within that discipline.
b) With Masters Classes -- again -- it's meant to be live with the benefit of the insight being what it passed along in that session.  I think of it as a type of accelerated apprenticeship.... to give a small group / audience insight into how that expert thinks and makes decisions.

I hope that helps!
Wendy Valot

To: sikmleaders@...

From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500

[...]

We are in agreement. I was just providing my experience. The Master Classes is an excellent way to pass knowledge to peers and others who seek knowledge from the retiree. Anything done to save the knowledge for easy retrieval is a plus.

David Smith

To: sikmleaders@...

From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500

[...]

John Hovell <jhovell@...>

We have a four step "knowledge transfer" process, happy to share anytime...

To: sikmleaders@...

From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500

[...]

Douglas Weidner

I’ll confirm that John’s four-step process is the most unique and best I’ve seen for the stated objectives, especially the retention of critical K of ‘retiring’ employees, aka ‘Baby Boomers’.

It’s such a robust and proven method, we are introducing the concept as a key specialty course in our new KM Competency Area:

 KM460 Series – Intellectual Capital Management.

The KM460 Series focuses on Tacit to Tacit, and Tacit to Explicit K Capture, Transfer and Retention.

Kate Pugh of Columbia teaches one of those courses (K Capture) for us.

This KM460 area is not to be confused with the more traditional KM Competency Area:

KM450 Series – Knowledge Asset Management, which focuses on Repositories, including specialization in Taxonomy, Information Architecture, and Search, etc.

We seek additional folks with considerable expertise and proven methods and technologies in this important Intellectual Capital Management Domain.

Douglas Weidner, Chief CKM Instructor

Executive Chairman, KM Institute

Home of KMBOK™, KMM™ and the KM Transformation Solution

From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500

[...]

Edited

Dear Colleagues

Many years ago, Jeff Stemke, who was at Chevron at the time, developed a targeted methodology for Knowledge Transfer from Experts.

I have attached it here.  I have used this approach often, have found this approach to be very effective, and have shared it broadly among my clients. (Thank you Jeff!)

Expert+Knowledge+Transfer.pdf

Hope you find this useful. Jeff’s approach is systematic, disciplined, and an effective plan for targeted knowledge transfer.  Further, it is effective whether you are dealing with any type of workforce attrition or turnover, not limited to a retiring workforce.

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Jeff Stemke

Bill: glad you are finding the approach useful.

One seemingly obvious lesson I've learned in the first step (identify critical knowledge):

Most managers and experts get bogged down trying to articulate what the expert "knows." As we understand, this can cover a broad scope and is often intangible.

A better question is "what are the expert's key roles or tasks." These are much more visible and amenable to task analysis. Of course some of the expert's work will be based on tacit experience, but this becomes easier to articulate when you focus on specific tasks (troubleshooting, design,etc.)

Another benefit is that you can easily observe the learner performing the task and judge their capabilities. This gives you and the organization confidence that successful knowledge transfer has occurred.

--Jeff

Hey Jeff

Your “better question” is right on.  I addressed just this in a Linked response yesterday on knowledge transfer when there is no time to bring the new person up to speed…focusing on the key roles and tasks of the departing expert AND on what are the critical problems or challenges that the replacement will have to deal with when the expert leaves.

Good to hear from you

Bill

Bill: glad you are finding the approach useful.

One seemingly obvious lesson I've learned in the first step (identify critical knowledge):

Most managers and experts get bogged down trying to articulate what the expert "knows." As we understand, this can cover a broad scope and is often intangible.

A better question is "what are the expert's key roles or tasks." These are much more visible and amenable to task analysis. Of course some of the expert's work will be based on tacit experience, but this becomes easier to articulate when you focus on specific tasks (troubleshooting, design,etc.)

Another benefit is that you can easily observe the learner performing the task and judge their capabilities. This gives you and the organization confidence that successful knowledge transfer has occurred.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Keefer <jeffrey.keefer@...>

Thanks, Jeff, for your interpretation of a way to frame critical knowledge. I like the notion of “what are the expert's key roles or tasks” as a better way to frame this, with the notion that “key roles” can mean various things and through an ensuing discussion of it we learn about how the retiree-in-waiting will conceive of his work.

Jeffrey Keefer, Ph.D.

Director of Training and Knowledge Management

The Trust for Public Land

Creating Parks and Protecting Land for People

666 Broadway, 9th Floor

New York, NY 10012

Office: 212-574-6882

Cell: 917-837-2788

www.tpl.org

jeffrey.keefer@...

Bill: glad you are finding the approach useful.

One seemingly obvious lesson I've learned in the first step (identify critical knowledge):

Most managers and experts get bogged down trying to articulate what the expert "knows." As we understand, this can cover a broad scope and is often intangible.

A better question is "what are the expert's key roles or tasks." These are much more visible and amenable to task analysis. Of course some of the expert's work will be based on tacit experience, but this becomes easier to articulate when you focus on specific tasks (troubleshooting, design,etc.)

Another benefit is that you can easily observe the learner performing the task and judge their capabilities. This gives you and the organization confidence that successful knowledge transfer has occurred.

--Jeff

This topic might be a good presentation for one our monthly calls Jeff (Stemke)…best

Bill

[...]

I agree with you about videos and the like, David. As I am talking about a senior knowledge worker, and while we have his writings, we do not really need to video or audio-record him talking about it. It is not as if he is producing widgets and we need to capture how he manages the lathe or anything of the sort.

Another concern I have with recording (putting on my hat as a qualitative researcher) is that some off-the-record comments that can provide great insight would not readily happen if things were being recorded (to theoretically use anywhere or share with others).

From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500

[...]

Excellent, idea, Bill.

As a relatively new member, I have not been able to join any of the monthly calls, though welcome hearing some of you discuss this. By then I may also have taken all of these valuable suggestions and produced a tool I will really use.

All I can say is I wish I would have done this collaborative discussion in my former job when we had large layoffs and the like and were told to share what we do with others without a plan or strategy. Of course, with such organizational upheaval nobody really cares about any of that (and as a result, many there are now reinventing the wheel). Fortunately, this situation I presented is NOT in that area at all, and as a result we are here trying to be a bit more systematic and thus have a process that can be used by others as well.

[...]

Wendy, your organizing this around Knowledge Categorization and a Master Class are both quite insightful. I can imagine mind mapping the initial knowledge categorization, integrating David’s questions, and even expanding them (knowledge as document, skills, methods, relationships, experience, and natural talent) based on some of the knowledge audit work I am doing in another initiative. While I am able to discuss this information when I engage in the interviews that will actually happen, having these in a visualization may be useful for some of the senior leaders who will want to see the approach I am planning to take.

I wish we could do a master class with this, but as I envision the position changing a bit, I am not sure what status that knowledge will be in or can be transferred as if to reuse in the same way.

From: sikmleaders@...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500

[...]

With David’s agreement of its value, I would LOVE to see your approach, John. Can you share it?

BTW, I like how you are trying to summarize and standardize some of these practices, David. This is something that may have value beyond the world of KM as its own disciplinary area.

[wqdqwd]

www.tpl.org<http://www.tpl.org/>
jeffrey.keefer@tpl.org<mailto:jeffrey.keefer@tpl.org>

I’ll confirm that John’s four-step process is the most unique and best I’ve seen for the stated objectives, especially the retention of critical K of ‘retiring’ employees, aka ‘Baby Boomers’.

It’s such a robust and proven method, we are introducing the concept as a key specialty course in our new KM Competency Area:
[Icon_KM470 Series-K Retention.png] KM460 Series – Intellectual Capital Management.

The KM460 Series focuses on Tacit to Tacit, and Tacit to Explicit K Capture, Transfer and Retention.
Kate Pugh of Columbia teaches one of those courses (K Capture) for us.

This KM460 area is not to be confused with the more traditional KM Competency Area:
[Icon_KM460 Series-Content.png]KM450 Series – Knowledge Asset Management, which focuses on Repositories, including specialization in Taxonomy, Information Architecture, and Search, etc.

[cid:9ECCDD72-9C44-4385-9A26-D518D0473143]<http://www.kminstitute.org/>

[ic_fbk_22]<http://on.fb.me/KMInstitutePage> [ic_lkdin_22] <http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Knowledge-Management-Institute-2724881?trk=myg_ugrp_ovr> [ic_twit_22] <http://twitter.com/#!/KMInstitute>

________________________________
To: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com<mailto:sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com>

From: sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com<mailto:sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 15:00:47 -0500

On Jul 14, 2016, at 2:28 PM, jeffrey.keefer@tpl.org<mailto:jeffrey.keefer@tpl.org> [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com<mailto:sikmleaders@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

I was asked to develop and use a knowledge transfer tool for a retiring senior staff member who has a lot of specialized knowledge we need to capture before he leaves (and before his replacement gets hired). This is similar to some knowledge audit work I am doing, though I think it requires more of a checklist that will then lead to conversations or at least prework to conversations we will then need to have about all of this.

Does anybody have a standard tool for this that I can borrow as a template and then adapt?

Thank you.

Jeffrey

Patrick Lambe

Jeffrey

Your document, skills, methods, relationships, experience and natural talent framework is the “wheel of knowledge” framework we developed for analysing knowledge types, which in turn was adapted from Dave Snowden’s ASHEN framework. Are you aware that we have a knowledge mapping software tool based on this framework? Contact me offline if you want to know more. As suggested elsewhere in this thread, it builds a knowledge asset inventory focused on key tasks/activities.

In terms of mind mapping tools we find concept mapping more useful for mapping a knowledge domain in some depth (in an interview context) - in fact concept mapping was developed as a way of capturing expertise, because concept mapping forces you to become explicit about the nature of the relationships between concepts. We use Cmap which is an open source tool.

Patrick

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Tel: +65 62210383