Enterprise Collaboration Platform Maturity Models #maturity #collaboration

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Hi,

I am looking for publically-available enterprise collaboration platform maturity models.

Background: The organisation has a bunch of tools - mostly Microsoft so SharePoint, Skype for Business, OneDrive, Yammer, etc. They want to map out where they are from a tool perspective but also think about stuff beyond the tools. It might include things such as UX, mobility, findability/search. This is to use with an IT department initially so it has to talk about tools and technical stuff (before anyone starts to say it's not about the technology).

I know about the ECM3 maturity model and I am aware of some of the many KM maturity models that are out there but this has a different focus.

All and any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Matt

You might take a look at the Community Maturity Model that the Community Roundtable uses.
I have found it helpful in helping stakeholders think through how they are developing their communities or groups in ESN environments.

https://www.communityroundtable.com/research/community-maturity-model/

--
Social Business Strategic Consulting
Silicon Valley, USA

Twitter: @catshinners
Contributor to Smarter Innovation (chapter abstracts) (Ark Group, 2014)

Patrick Lambe

Matt - I’m not sure there is an explicit maturity model there, but have you looked at Wenger, White and Smith Digital Habitats?

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Tel: +65 62210383

website: www.straitsknowledge.com
weblog: www.greenchameleon.com
book: www.organisingknowledge.com

Knowledge mapping made easy http://www.aithinsoftware.com

On 12 Aug 2016, at 10:22 AM, Matt Moore <innotecture@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for publically-available enterprise collaboration platform maturity models.

Background: The organisation has a bunch of tools - mostly Microsoft so SharePoint, Skype for Business, OneDrive, Yammer, etc. They want to map out where they are from a tool perspective but also think about stuff beyond the tools. It might include things such as UX, mobility, findability/search. This is to use with an IT department initially so it has to talk about tools and technical stuff (before anyone starts to say it's not about the technology).

I know about the ECM3 maturity model and I am aware of some of the many KM maturity models that are out there but this has a different focus.

All and any suggestions gratefully received.

Regards,

Matt

Paul McDowall

Hi Matt,
This is interesting.  I'm a bit confused at how they want to use a maturity model to map out where they are from a tool perspective.  It sounds like a technical (ECP) architecture might be a starting point, at least from the point of view of articulating the current state of play of their tools, integrations, gaps, etc.  Do they want to identify and assess other, newer tools on the market, and/or suites?  How would they define maturity?
Best
Paul

Patti Anklam <patti@...>

Hi, Matt,

Agree with Catherine about the Community Roundtable Maturity model.

You might also get some insights from Jane McConnell's work:

/patti

Nancy Dixon

Catherine,
I hadn't seen this model before and I like it. Thanks for sharing.I typically recommend Conoco's Health Check, but probably neither meets Matt's need to assess the tool itself. I would think that kind of tool would look at functionality, e.g. can it host video, have profiles, ect.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 8:02 AM, paul_mcdowall@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Hi Matt,
This is interesting.  I'm a bit confused at how they want to use a maturity model to map out where they are from a tool perspective.  It sounds like a technical (ECP) architecture might be a starting point, at least from the point of view of articulating the current state of play of their tools, integrations, gaps, etc.  Do they want to identify and assess other, newer tools on the market, and/or suites?  How would they define maturity?
Best
Paul

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Dave,

I'm probably going to have to. There are a number of additional frameworks out there that are useful:
- Digital workplace maturity model from DWG
- SharePoint maturity model
- ECM3

The question was put to me: "Is there an industry standard model that we could just use off the shelf?" and my suspicion is there isn't one that looks right for them. But there are lots of useful inputs to develop a framework that covers their situation, promotes a collective understanding of strengths and weaknesses, and allows for the identification of improvement projects.

Regards,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Aug 12, 2016, at 6:38 PM, david williams <vertigo@...> wrote:

Sounds like an opportunity to develop one Matt!

Cheers

David Williams

0412 237 695

vertigo@...

Skype: david_williams546

[...]

Hi Paul,

You are absolutely correct in that a technical architecture is also required.

The situation is that they have a bunch of tools and they want to use them better. And they want a framework that will help them understand their strengths and weaknesses & therefore what they need to do.

Regards,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Aug 12, 2016, at 11:02 PM, paul_mcdowall@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Hi Matt,
This is interesting.  I'm a bit confused at how they want to use a maturity model to map out where they are from a tool perspective.  It sounds like a technical (ECP) architecture might be a starting point, at least from the point of view of articulating the current state of play of their tools, integrations, gaps, etc.  Do they want to identify and assess other, newer tools on the market, and/or suites?  How would they define maturity?
Best
Paul

Richard A Vines <plessons@...>

Matt,

Just to add to the broaden the lens of your scope ..... perhaps as reflexivity only

In creating a pilot for 2 learning networks / CoPs in Australian agriculture back in 2012/13 when I was involved catalysing these, we learned a lot from the US eXtension initiative. We did a learning network assessment scorecard, which was really helpful. I have checked, but the materials we used at our start up phase in collaboration with the eXtension Foundation are not in the public domain (although we found the eXtension initiative so incredibly generous as a collaborator).

The closest public domain resource materials I am aware of us USAID. I have not used these myself as I have moved onto other areas of knowledge management for the moment.

https://usaidlearninglab.org/learning-networks/resources

Cross institutional and cross jurisdictional collaboration arrangements are one of a small number of priority areas I have found in my work. For right or for wrong, in the work I touch, we have to think about these challenges at a broader level than at the enterprise level (including at the enterprise application level).

Both the US and Australia seem to  lack the nerve to sort out these matters of governance and innovation across our federation. It requires in my opinion some commitment to the challenges of multi-level governance. Curiously, I have observed the EU are well ahead in their thinking about these matters.

Cheers for the moment,

Richard

Re: [Actkm] Enterprise Collaboration Platform Maturity Models

[...]

Matt, I compiled a list of KM Maturity Models.  Here are 30 links which may be helpful for enterprise collaboration:

  1. Gartner Maturity Model for Enterprise Collaboration and Social Software
  2. Gartner Maturity Model for Digital Workplace Programs
  3. IDC MaturityScape: Social Business
  4. Forrester : Playbook : The Enterprise Collaboration Playbook For 2016 – references “Benchmarks: A Maturity Model to Assess Your Collaboration State” coming in September 2016
  5. Real Story Group Releases New Application to Benchmark Digital Effectiveness
  6. Enterprise Social Collaboration Progression Model
  7. The Five-Step Maturity Model for Building a Collaborative Organization
  8. Enterprise Collaboration Maturity Model (ECMM)
  9. Enterprise Collaboration Maturity Model (ECMM)
  10. Enterprise Collaboration Maturity Model (ECMM)
  11. Enterprise Collaboration Maturity Model (ECMM)
  12. Enterprise Collaboration Maturity Model
  13. Maturity model for enterprise collaboration and social software
  14. The enterprise collaboration or emergent collaboration maturity model Pinterest
  15. Collaboration Maturity & Platforms SlideShare
  16. Collaboration Maturity Model
  17. A Collaboration Maturity Model
  18. A Roadmap to the Collaboration Maturity Model (CollabMM)
  19. What is Your Collaboration Maturity Level?
  20. Towards a Maturity Model for E-Collaboration
  21. Model for Enterprise Collaboration and Social Software Pages 14-18
  22. Utilizing the Employee Experience Maturity Model to Optimize Your Enterprise Collaboration
  23. Enterprise Interoperability IV
  24. Social Business Maturity Model, The Next Generation
  25. Measuring Your Social Collaboration Progression
  26. Raise the Bar on Customer Experience with Maturity Models
  27. Social Collaboration Metrics
  28. Office 365 readiness: Know your organization's collaborative maturity
  29. EY's 6 dimensions for enterprise community success
  30. Community Maturity Model - The Community Roundtable

Excellent!

Thanks!

[...]

Wonderfully thorough stuff, Stan.

Many thanks!

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Aug 14, 2016, at 1:48 AM, stangarfield@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Here is another angle which a colleague and I recently  used (and are using).

Siemens' knowledge management maturity model

[1] Kaner, Maya, and Reuven Karni. “A Capability Maturity Model for Knowledge-Based Decision making.” Information Knowledge Systems Management 4, no. 4 (December 2004): 235.

http://www.providersedge.com/docs/km_articles/KM_Maturity_Model_of_VISION_Project.pdf

Re: [Actkm] [sikmleaders] Re: Enterprise Collaboration Platform Maturity Models

[...]

Oh apologies for this. I did not see that the Siemans KM maturity model on Stan's other list.

[...]

John,
Not quite sure why you reference "its funny ,.... "?

When introducing something completely new where there is almost no capability for a particular capability, we found there is utility in referencing the criteria on the left hand side of slide eight. of Stan's link under the Siemans Maturity model.  So, in a strict sense, we are not adopting the Sieman's KM maturity model but one aspect of it . We are using a bit of it to apply this to a capability where we are starting from scratch.

Perhaps I should be more careful in my reference to its use in our context as we are not adopting it to KM as a whole.

This will be covered in an in press piece - Cultivating Capability: the socio-technical challenges of integrating approaches to records and knowledge management to be published by the Journal of Records Management.

Richard

Re: [Actkm] [sikmleaders] Re: Enterprise Collaboration Platform Maturity Models

It's funny, I believe Siemans was one of the first of these, if I recall correctly.  Saw it briefed in early part of this century, but it was proprietary for years thereafter.

- your fallible historian

On Aug 13, 2016, at 20:22, Richard A Vines <plessons@...> wrote:

[...]

Randhir Pushpa

Hi Stan,