January 2017 SIKM Call: Arno Boersma - Design Thinking for KM #monthly-call #design-thinking

Stan Garfield

This is a reminder of tomorrow's monthly call from 11 am to 12 noon EDT.

SIKM Leaders Community Monthly Call

Dial-in Number: United States and Canada (712) 770-4035

Access Code: 178302
You can join online using your computer’s speakers and microphone at http://join.freeconferencecall.com/stangarfield

If you have problems connecting, see the options listed at the end of this post.

International Dial-in Numbers

Argentina +54 11 5031-9546

Australia +61 2 4783 7110

Austria +43 1 2650541

Belgium +32 9 324 29 21

Brazil +55 11 3042-5290

Bulgaria +359 2 495 1721

Cambodia +855 96 696 7883

Chile 56232109944

China +86 510 8022 4354

Costa Rica +506 4001 0254

Croatia +385 1 8000 131

Cyprus +357 77 788687

Czech +420 225 852 083

Denmark +45 78 77 36 33

Dominican Republic +1 829-999-2564

Estonia +372 634 6274

Finland +358 9 74791032

France +33 1 78 90 06 94

GCC/Arabian Peninsula +973 1656 8354 - This dial-in number is located in Bahrain.

Georgia +995 706 777 583

Germany +49 209 88294442

Guatemala +502 2458 1450

Hungary +36 1 999 0542

Iceland +354 539 0352

Indonesia +62 21 51388852

Ireland +353 1 907 9721

Israel +972 55-966-1103

Italy +39 06 8997 1654

Japan +81 3-5050-5114

Kenya +254 20 5293281

Latvia +371 67 881 973

Lithuania +370 661 05790

Luxembourg +352 20 30 16 53

Malaysia +60 11-1146 0074

Mexico +52 899 274 8860

Netherlands +31 6 35205063

New Zealand +64 7-974 6530

Nigeria +234 1 440 5024

Norway +47 73 79 03 14

Pakistan +92 21 37132323

Panama +507 833-6910

Poland +48 22 116 85 63

Portugal +351 21 114 3163

Romania +40 31 780 7054

Russian Federation +7 812 383-96-23

Slovakia +421 2/333 252 03

Slovenia +386 1 828 08 74

South Africa +27 87 825 0172

South Korea +82 70-7737-3405 - This number is not available outside of South Korea.

Spain +34 872 50 31 53

Sri Lanka +94 11 5 322984

Sweden +46 8 124 109 76

Switzerland +41 43 550 70 82

Turkey +90 212 988 1774

Ukraine +380 94 710 5941

United Kingdom +44 330 088 1904

TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Today we held our 137th monthly call. Here are the details:

Thanks to Arno for presenting, to Catherine Shinners and Mary Abraham for live tweeting, and to the members who participated in the discussion. Please continue the discussion by replying to this thread.

Arno Boersma <arnovation@...>

Dear community,
It was a great pleasure to present to you all a few days ago. If you have any questions that may still pop up, just let me know.

I do have a question for you: I am currently developing a center of excellence for small islands around the world. It's a global knowledge hub for their sustainable development, a UNDP/Gov.of Aruba initiative. Biggest challenge, of course, is how to engage these geographically dispersed 'islands of knowledge' - from the Pacific to the Caribbean - to get knowledge flowing for the benefit of all...

Does anyone have examples, insights, experience, lessons, or suggestions for a successful global knowledge hub? Your knowledge is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Arno

On Jan 17, 2017, at 13:56, stangarfield@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Today we held our 147th monthly call. Here are the details:

Thanks to Arno for presenting, to Catherine Shinners and Mary Abraham for live tweeting, and to the members who participated in the discussion. Please continue the discussion in the Yahoo! Group by replying to this thread.

Daan Boom

Dear Arno:

Message from the Pacific. Happy to discuss this topic further. Due to the time difference between the Pacific and the US I was not able to follow the Design Thinking presentation ‘live’ but thanks to the excellent SIKM Yahoo group the session was captured. One thing I noticed was that you put DT and KM on par. Maybe I misunderstood but I see DT as an important development but nevertheless a sub-part of KM, a tool to be used to support various knowledge initiatives.

But coming back to your question on the small islands. Indeed small islands states face different challenges, the scattered nature of the islands and their relatively small populations means for instance that transport costs are extremely high and time consuming and maintaining an adequate knowledge base difficult to build and maintain. The islands also face the limitations of economies of scale in almost any sector. Through enhanced regional collaboration and building regional institutions they can, to some extend, mitigate some of the economies of scale challenges but it requires strong and visionary government support of the participating islands. From the BREXIT discussions I distill the extreme difficulties to UK government faces with re-building capacities of functions transferred to the EU. The effective use of both the Internet and electronic media are important instrument to establish connections and create a transparent environment for knowledge to flow. In the Pacific there are good examples of ‘knowledge hubs’ providing sector/thematic knowledge services to islands (for instance on climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction, education. I’m aware of hubs in the Caribbean established/supported through interventions of the Caribbean Development Bank and IDB. You may wish to connect with these development banks to list existing knowledge hubs in the region.

Daan

On 19 Jan 2017, at 20:45, Arno Boersma arnovation@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

joanna_pierce@...

Greetings All:

I'm sorry to have missed this call last month, but just got around to reviewing it the other day. I must say thank you to Arno--this was a very enjoyable presentation, and I wish I could have been there for the discussion. So, hoping to continue it here.

I love the idea of a "Fail Fair," to show how you've failed to others in the organization, but staying optimistic and possibly sharing how you're going to pick up and start again. Doing a "lessons learned" analysis isn't something that my organization does a lot with projects, and we have a lot of silos. I think this would be a great opportunity to bridge the gaps across the company and show what we've done, getting feedback and similar insights from other departments.

From a KM perspective, there's a definite fear about failing in this space as there have been many iterations of this effort in my department. The rest of the organization is just starting to get a toe in the water in the KM space. I believe our current KM solution will stick (we're about 2-years in and growing every month). Some other areas are starting to reach out to us, having their own failed attempts and looking for something that's showing ROI, strong user adoption, etc. But, we still have much to learn.

Has anyone else had success with getting something like a "Fail Fair" off the ground? How can we get leadership buy-in to start something like this? What are scaling options?

Best,
Joanna