KM & KCS framework documentation advice request #call-center

michael_hutchens81@...

I work for an outsource IT company in New Zealand that has been using the KCS methodology to manage operational documentation for its Service Desks for a number of years, with a good level of success. At the start of our KCS implementation we developed a Framework document to guide us on our journey. It contains elements such as an overview of KCS, vision & aims, critical success factors, objectives, sponsorship, an implementation strategy, metrics, a definition and purpose for our KCS Council, roles & responsibilities, etc.

Recently there have been some organizational changes which mean that our 'KCS focus' needs to expand to include other levels of operational groups within the company (not just L1 Service Desks), and also additional countries within the organization (not just New Zealand), and we'd like to refresh\re-write our framework document accordingly.

My questions for the SIKM Leaders group are:

Do you have any advice for how this refresh should be approached, or things that the refreshed document might contain?

Do you have any examples of similar KM\KCS framework documents that I might take a look at?

Hello Michael,

The latest release of the KCS practices guide, v6, addresses expansion of KCS to groups beyond support, and is now called Knowledge Centered Service. Maybe take a look there to see how KCS has evolved. Here is a list of the changes: http://library.serviceinnovation.org/KCS_Practices_Guide_v6/050. Also, David Kay is exploring applying KCS principles to content management. Check out the KCS LinkedIn group where this discussion is happening. Good luck!

Rosanna