KM Newbie going to KMWorld 2017 #KMWorld #KM101

Cody Vild

Hello all,

I am a new KM practitioner looking to incorporate Knowledge Management at my company, Apeel Sciences.  In brief, my company makes edible products from natural plant extracts that allow organic and conventional growers to reduce reliance on pesticides, increase produce quality, and provide superior shelf life.  Our success thus far has been directly linked to our ability drive innovation from scientific experimentation.  We recognize that the failure to capture, iterate and expand our current knowledge is essential for our future.

With this in mind, I am leading the charge into Knowledge Management for our company and will be attending KMWorld 2017 to learn more about the industry, connect with others, and determine what practices can most beneficial for my company.

Currently, we are planning to roll out a wiki-based knowledge management system and I would love to hear about other people's experiences with this type platform.  What were some of the critical steps for your success?  What are some potential roadblocks to be aware of and how would one potentially overcome them?

If you are going to KMWorld 2017 and can offer some advice about running KM initiatives at R&D-based companies, I would love to connect with you in person - maybe over a meal or drink if you'd like.

And for those who are not attending and think you might have some advice, please comment on this thread or we could connect over the phone.

I'm really excited to learn more about Knowledge Management and to learn more from you all!  Thank you all in advance.

Best regards,
Cody

Edwin K. Morrris

Good day Cody,

Exciting KM times indeed. I offer conversation if you care to chat. We could Zoom or telephone.

It sounds like your organization has it’s head in the right space for knowledge ecosystem conservation.

Yours in knowledge,

Edwin

 Check out our latest podcast:  Because you need to know

Edwin K. Morris   M.S., CKMP
President and Founder of Pioneer Knowledge Services

What is Knowledge Management?

Office 330.593.5850  Mobile-Text 520.508.3737

https://pioneer-ks.org/ ekmo64 (Skype)  234.542.5836 fax

[...]

Linda Hummel

Hi Cody
I highly recommend taking Stan Garfield’s KM 101 workshop offered the day before the conference starts, and picking up his book “proven practices for promoting a knowledge management program”.
Attending a conference like KM world is a great way to jumpstart your knowledge about KM. I would also recommend your firm look into a membership at APQC, which does excellent research on KM and shares their benchmarking reports with their members.
And of course participating in this community of practitioners – especially attending the monthly SIKM calls and searching through past threads – is a great way to build your network and learn from others.
Congrats on your decision to leverage your companies knowledge!
Best regards, Linda

Susan Ostreicher

Hello Cody,

Welcome to the group!  I manage a wiki-based knowledge base at a market research company. I can't comment on implementation at R&D companies specifically, but here are a couple of steps we took that I think have helped:

1. Start with a clear vision for the overall site organization. What kinds of content do you anticipate, and how will your users expect the content to be grouped?  You can create this structure in advance to start things off on a productive path. On a more micro level, think about what layout you might need for certain kinds of pages like research notes or meeting notes, and create templates that anyone can use as a starting point.

Even though flexibility and openness are part of the appeal of wikis, we felt it was better to start with this kind of structure in mind, and let people tell us where they needed more flexibility.  Without this, you risk running into problems with navigability and searchability, and unwanted inconsistency between pages. Even something seemingly minor like standard page titles can go a long way to creating consistency and making the wiki easier to use over the long term.  And things like page templates reduce the burden on the end user, letting them start contributing right away without having to feel their way around the technology first.

2. Think carefully about your workflows and what you can do to build them into the process.  Who do you expect to contribute? Is review or approval needed from certain users for certain pages?  Who needs to be notified when something is updated?  Collaboration works well when everyone knows what's expected of them.  Also, will someone be responsible for "curating" the wiki (re-ordering pages, updating templates, etc)?  Wikis make it easy for users to contribute here and there, but the average user either doesn't have time or doesn't feel they have the authority to make broader changes - and personally, I'm not sure those kinds of tasks are a good fit for crowdsourcing anyway.

You didn't mention technology, so you might have already made that choice, but for what it's worth we use Confluence and I've been happy with it.   I'll be at KM World and would be happy to talk if you'd like to hear more.

Hope this helps,
Susan