"Good Practice" KM Recognition #motivation

Aaron Buchsbaum

Hi all you wondering SIKM-ers!!

I was asked recently to do some good ‘ol thinkin’ on “good practice recognition in KM”. I generated a rough list, based on what I see in my institution that I appreciate as a KM Officer, and also based loosely on the concept of ‘Ba’ proposed by Japanese researchers Nonaka and Konno in 1998. (article here). And by “loosely”, I mean thinking through the idea of generating, sharing, evangelizing, and applying knowledge.

So --- here’s what I have! Curious about peoples’ reflections. From here I’d start to delve into details about what to look for in a “good practice” in each area, such that they can be identified and highlighted across the organization (globally dispersed, app. 18k employees & consultants).

(one area I might pull out in addition, is around application of new technology . . .)

Major Initiatives Already

Knovember (+ Knowbel Awards)

Big Data Challenge (+ report)

Knowledge and Solutions Ideabook 3.0

Areas of Knowledge Work to Recognize

1.       Creation of original research with operational impact

Broad VP or unit applicability

Niche technical advances

"Innovative" or "creative" thinking outside usual frameworks

2.       Peer Support --- Just-in-time / on-demand

Peer-to-peer connections

Knowledge sharing (resources, data, etc.)

Inside Org

Outside Org

3.       Resource Sharing

E.G. Colleague’s weekly safety net syntheses

E.G. Colleague’s CoP webinars, newsletters, resource sharing

4.       Social reporting

E.G. Colleague’s – specific CoP activity summaries

E.G. Colleague’s – social platform activity summaries

5.       Business process improvement

E.G. institution of Agile concepts

Quality control

6.       Championing

E.G. Institutionalizing a new, effective idea/process

Chris Collison

Hi Aaron,

It’s a good list – it spreads beyond the boundaries of KM, but that’s not a bad thing - it’s helpful to recognise the Knowledge contribution to Improvement, Social Reporting and Change Leadership.

I know some organisations place the emphasis (and recognition) more on behaviours – and celebrating where a particular barrier has been overcome.

So by way of example, ConocoPhillips used to run with an annual award - the 4Gs awards – Give (proactively sharing), Grab (curiosity, asking, overcoming not-invented-here), Gather (curating, taking ownership for a theme), Guts (proactively talking about failure).

Syngenta borrowed ad adapted this to make the TREE awards, (Transfer, Reuse, Embed, [share a difficult] Experience).  I know Syngenta are still running with these awarding around 30 out every quarter via their communities of practice.  So over 7 years now, they should be approaching nearly 1000 stories of positive KM behaviours.

If you have a copy of the WBG’s ‘Gardeners Guide to Communities of Practice’, there’s a short piece about the Syngenta approach in there.

So I guess my learning here is, for long-term sustainability, align the recognition with the behaviours you want to amplify (rather than a specific initiative), and ensure that your recognition process is on from which stories can be harvested.

Hope this helps…

Chris

chriscollison.com

@chris_collison

+44 7841262900

From: <sikmleaders@...> on behalf of "Aaron F Buchsbaum abuchsbaum@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...>
Date: Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 22:40
To: "sikmleaders@..." <sikmleaders@...>
Subject: [sikmleaders] "Good Practice" KM Recognition

[...]

Chris --- this is great!! Thank you for your points. Super helpful.