KM in the Hotel Industry #research

Bruce Boyes

Hello Chris,

Sorry for not getting a chance to reply until now. The Cityview Hotel in Hong Kong https://thecityview.com.hk/ is affiliated with the Hong Kong YMCA, and the YMCA had its offices within the hotel. On a 2013 stay there, I was pleasantly surprised to see "Knowledge Management Section" listed in the YMCA office directory. I'm not sure to what extent the Hong Kong YMCA's knowledge management activities extend to their hotel operations, but I'd be surprised if these operations weren't included. Hong Kong YMCA's offices look to have been moved to the Salisbury Hotel, which the YMCA owns. It could be worth contacting them - their website is http://ymcahk.org.hk/main/en/home/index.html

Best regards,

Bruce.

On Thursday, 28 December 2017, 7:39:50 pm GMT+8, manager4hotel@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Dear KM Experts ... belated Merry Christmas .,... I hope to see stromg participation or sikm group responses /posting after NY .....pls indicate your bakcgrouound (company / desigation) or even better assist my project by committing 15 min for a phone Skype interview early January ..... looking forward to talk to you kind regards Chris

Christoph Voegeli

Dear KM Experts ... belated Merry Christmas .,... I hope to see stromg participation or sikm group responses /posting after NY .....pls indicate your bakcgrouound (company / desigation) or even better assist my project by committing 15 min for a phone Skype interview early January ..... looking forward to talk to you kind regards Chris

Christoph Voegeli

Thank you Sivaguru for your contribution and I believe your comments are valid. However, my research focus is possibly on "big picture" level (e.g International Hotel Companies [HC] and SME Hotel Companies .........and my keen interest in how they mange KM.....of which of cause kitchen operation would be a part off).

Possibly a more hands on and easier to understand (hotel KM in context)....

Thanks to Stan Garfields (2015) KM vision I could adapt is vision and turn it into the tale of the "Good KM Hotel Company and the Bad Hotel Company........(I am sure if hotel employees [and even guest or other stakeholders] read the below they can "feel it" ......and could rate it....)

Company A - Good KM Hotel

Company B - Bad KM Hotel

People, process, and technology elements are in place to enable everyone to conveniently Share, Innovate, Reuse, Collaborate, and Learn (for the benefit of the  HC, guest and employees)

People, process, and technology elements are not in place they are scattered (or insular / fragmented / work in silos) and thus do not enable everyone to conveniently Share, Innovate, Reuse, Collaborate, and Learn

A single global platform is available, with access to community sites, websites, team sites, content repositories, and collaboration tools

No single global platform is available, with access to community sites, websites, team sites, content repositories, and collaboration tools, but few or a couple of platforms (software / technologies tool) are available as standalone (non-integrated) tools.

Everyone can interact with the platform in the ways they prefer, including entirely by email, mobile client, desktop client, web browser, RSS feed, etc.

Interaction and use of (if available at all) platform would be limited (to perhaps desktop) to only one channel and interaction will be inconvenient because of non-integration (standalone tools / systems .

A unique global, cross-functional community is available for each major specialty, role, and focus area, with a site, a calendar, frequent events, useful news and content, and active discussions

No cross-functional community is available for each major specialty, role, and focus area, with a site, a calendar, frequent events, useful news and content. Since KM is managed on a “by chance” (by accident) basis (associates of that HC will work side by side and in isolation because they are unaware or believe they are not concerned / not their responsibility).

Everyone belongs to at least one community, including the one most closely aligned to their work, and pays attention to the community's discussions and activities

Everyone is busy with his own job (task) is not sharing and exchanging ideas (knowledge) because there is no community and hence there are not discussions and activities.

Anyone needing help, to answer a question or request, content, an expert, or information on what the HC has done and can do can post in a community discussion board or the Enterprise Social Network (ESN) and receive a helpful reply within 24 hours

Anyone needing help, an answer to question, content, an expert, or information on what the firm has done will struggle to find answers and solutions. Initially employees will try to find the required knowledge in their (friends) network (not colleagues within the HC). If colleagues are contacted and ask for help the may explain one of the following (no reply, sorry don’t know, oh that you can ask the other department or I am not sure I come back to you …after which you not her from him / her again…etc.). There is no supporting infrastructure where you could post or inquire for help.

Everyone can easily find, follow, be made aware of, and share what is going on in the ESN, activity stream, blogosphere, content repositories, etc.

Everyone struggles to find or be made aware of, and share what is going on since there is no supporting infrastructure like ESN, activity stream, blogosphere, content repositories, etc…..

People are recognized, rewarded, and promoted if they Share, Ask, Find, Answer, Recognize, Inform, and Suggest, and leaders set a good example by doing so themselves

Since there is no KM structure and encouragement, hence no recognition, reward, and encouragement for sharing, asking, finding, answers and solutions that would help the company to perform better (efficient)

What one part of the firm knows, the rest of the HC knows; different parts of the firm routinely work together; ideas are solicited and implemented; high levels of trust and transparency exist; leadership engages with all levels of the firm's members; people work out loud and interact with people they didn't know before; and individuals learn effectively.

What one part of the firm knows stay there in isolation (silo), the HC and its employees are not tuned an encouraged to work routinely together; generate ideas. Trust and engagement levels are very low. There is no culture of collaboration and learning from each other.

Decisions are made quickly and effectively, it's easy to find information and resources, open communications are made frequently and widely, redundant effort is avoided, mistakes are not repeated, scarce expertise is made widely available, clients see how knowledge is used for their benefit, sales and delivery are accelerated, innovation and growth are stimulated, morale is high, and the firm's reputation is strong; as a result, the firm thrives

Decisions are made wrongly (because of bad or incomplete knowledge /data) and inefficiently. Associates struggle through labors process to find information and resources. Communications is difficult and limited, mistakes are repeated, expertise is hard to find, clients experience in-efficiently and service delay because of lacking KM (and unconducive work culture); sales and service delivery are slow and cumbersome, the firm’s processes, services (product) and growth froze in time (many years ago). morale is low. The firm's reputation is scrambling; and as a result the firm is just surviving from day to day.

Enterprise Social Networks: Vision

There is one (and only one) global network for all people in the organization.

There is none (or a couple) of global networks for various people/levels in the organization.

There is one (and only one) group for every subject of importance to the organization, its businesses, and its people, and each one of these groups has 200 or more members

There are no groups since the firms focus in absence of infrastructure and culture.

Everyone belongs to at least one group (including the one most relevant to their work), and possibly other groups.

There are no groups since the firms focus in absence of infrastructure and KM culture.

Group members pay attention to the discussions, either by setting email notifications for the group, checking regularly, or other effective methods.

There are no (or few) discussions because there are no groups since the firm lacks focus infrastructure.

Whenever a group member sees a question or a request for a resource to which they can respond with assistance, they do so.

There are no (or few) questions or requests because there are no groups since the firm lacks focus infrastructure.

All group admins actively monitor their groups to ensure that all questions receive an answer within 24 hours.

In absence of infrastructure and groups no monitor and answer.

When other channels (e.g., email), are used to share, ask, or find, those who receive these messages redirect them to the most relevant communities.

In absence of infrastructure and groups no (limited) communication

When someone takes the time to share useful information, they receive positive response in the form of likes, replies, and praise.

In absence of infrastructure and groups no (limited) culture of sharing and subsequently likes or praise.

People post in public groups in the ESN whenever possible, and only use private groups for truly private interactions.

There is no infrastructure and hence no culture of posting.

Leaders routinely post, reply, like, and praise in the ESN, and don't just use it for formal communications or events.

 Leaders do not post, reply, like, praise or communicate formally since the infrastructure is not available.

*The above is an adoption of Garfield (2015 ) https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-vision-how-knowledge-management-should-work-stan-garfield/ vision how KM should work turned into tale of the “A the good KM hotel” and the “B the bad KM hotel”.

On Thursday, December 21, 2017, 6:09:53 PM GMT+6, 'Sivaguru S.' sivaguru@... [sikmleaders]

I like this discussion on KM in the hotel industry.
Our son started in this industry about 3 years ago - and I have been watching how he is getting groomed.

They cover the 'hard' aspects of the kitchen [that is his specialization] as well as the 'soft' aspects of dealing with situations and guests.

While recipes and SoPs are defined, the aspect of craftsmanship in cooking and also the need to take instantaneous decisions when things do not turn out right - but still, keeping the guest expectation in mind and using the collective wisdom of the kitchen team, if the executive or other senior chefs are not around - is key.

Unfortunately, that collective knowledge  is not captured or made available in a simple manner.
It is very very person dependent.

There is a lot of scope for KM, and - as was mentioned - it is hugely influenced by the organization culture..

my 2 bits

Regards
Sivaguru

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 6:40 AM, manager4hotel@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Thank you for your comments ....... I am however more interested to collect more / additional data (to support or reject my preliminary findings) Particularly km academics or km consultants (Deloitte kpmg pwc...etc) or people from the (km)hotel industry are encouraged to contact me thank you and looking forward hearing from you regards Chris

Shiv Sivaguru

[...]

Thank you Howie for contributing another piece of information that does partially overlap with my preliminary findings. That the top 5 Marriott, Hilton, IHG. Wyndham and Accor do have / apply  KM (tools / practices) but smaller (SME hotel companies) probably because of smaller budgets do not have any KM.

However, companies like Benchmark Hospitality are actually not part of my sample / population since they are run on a different model ("third party" -  agent ....not own the property and not manage .......typically using a brand to manage or franchise agreement to be affiliated/ branding......to compare apple with apple .....).

Rgds

Chris

On Thursday, December 21, 2017, 12:50:34 AM GMT+6, Howie Cohen howardscohenmba@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Hi Chris,

               I reached out to my sister Stacey Cohen, she is an Executive Pastry Chef for Arrowwood  http://www.doralarrowwood.com/ a Benchmark property. https://www.benchmarkglobalhospitality.com/press_media/releases/indie-awards/  and my brother in law Head Chef at Tarrytown House NY  http://www.tarrytownhouseestate.com/  (actually just recently left).

In the hospitality industry, the service bar is too low. One thing we can do about it is to serve guests proactively. Manage the little things the guest has no time for. Take care of the bathroom. Have them say “My Pleasure” not “No Problem.” We can raise the bar with intentionality and by thinking ahead. Alex Cabañas is CEO of BENCHMARK, A Global Hospitality Company. Alex is passionate about leading and growing a company that makes a profound difference in the lives of employees, guests, owners, industry partners and the community. His life mission since college has been to create opportunities for others to be successful. As CEO, Alex is focused on strategic planning, people development, pursuing growth and new opportunities, promoting the delivery of memorable customer service and ultimately being the most experiential third-party hospitality management company in the industry. Alex was previously President, business development & finance for Benchmark. During his tenure in business development roles over the last five years, the company added 22 properties to its management portfolio, expanded into the Caribbean and added to its presence in Tokyo. The company also acquired MTM Luxury Lodging, which led to the launch of Personal Luxury Resorts & Hotels.

Stacey is very aware of knowledge management and how it is naturally a part of her work.   She said that while Benchmark doesn't have a "program" per se there are many aspects of the work in the industry where they use practices in community and knowledge.  There is also a new focus on CX and how digital business and marketing enhance customer experience.   I can put you in touch with her if you like.

In regard to specific Digital Workplace / KM practices I am told by both my sister and brother in law that knowledge transfer and codification activities are critical to daily life in all respects BUT the companies only target areas with high turnover / training to deal with this.  There are multiple instances of SP or 365 that go unused and there are areas that specific communities use and embrace (mostly back office).

Hope this helps.

Howie Cohen

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 12:38 AM, manager4hotel@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Dear Chuck

Dear Tom

Thank you for taking time to post your valuable comments.

Whilst, I (overall) agree on your observations I am specifically interested to collect more data (interview experts ........about whether hotel companies have / apply KM frameworks/strategies or not...?).

The over 50 hoteliers (corporate and property level executives) I interviewed thus far said we don't know and we don't have KM.......a few responded ..........yes ....we do training and we have a file with SOP/P&P (more a insular or "by chance" way to manage KM).

I hope to get more responses (KM experts from academia, consultancy [Deloitte, KPMG, PWC, Accent ,,,etc.] or academics from hotel /hospitality to validate and strengthen my earlier findings/ data .....or reject....) and I look forward to get your commitment for a 15 min interview over phone / Skype.

Kind regards

Chris

alt

Christoph Voegeli

Dear Arthur

Thank you for your kind words and support.

There are some very interesting comments on this topic and I hope I will be able to speak to some members (academics / experts) of this group.

Good luck with you upcoming Creative Melbourne 2018 !!!!!

Merry Xmas and a Happy NY

Rgds

Chris

On Thursday, December 21, 2017, 4:56:14 AM GMT+6, 'Arthur' arthur@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Hi SIKM Leaders,

I want to endorse the work being done by Chris. I have been liaising with him on this project and he is doing some good word to uncover the potential that KM has to revolutionise this industry. If anyone has insights into the project, I am sure that Chris will be pleased to hear from you.

This has been a big year for KM in many ways an I am hoping that 2018 brings about even more insights for us all. Have a great festive season and reflect on the New Year Resolutions your promised yourself last year. You still have a week to accomplish these!

Little reflection: Continuous reflective learning is one of the most powerful elements of KM, especially when done proactively and followed up. We should do more “Lessons Implemented” than “Lessons Learned” (without action and therefore benefit).

Regards

Arthur Shelley

Producer: Creative Melbourne

Author: KNOWledge SUCCESSion  Sustained performance and capability growth through knowledge projects

Earlier Books: The Organizational Zoo (2007) & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader (2009)

Principal: www.IntelligentAnswers.com.au

Founder: Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network

Mb. +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley  Twitter: @Metaphorage

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4229168

Free behavioural profiles: www.organizationalzoo.com

[...]

Dear Chris

That is very exiting knowledge and a new perspective (KM slip streaming SS).

It would be extremely interesting to know what happened to SS at Starwood after the Marriott takeover (will it continue / be integrated / or abandoned). As far as I know the StarOne (Starwood intranet/portal has migrated to Marriott Global Source (MSG) portal).

I also believe that your observation is quite right on the part that hotel companies have tighter margins (budgets) compared to Energy, Pharma, Defense and therefore are possibly not very happy to invest in KM.

Hope I will have a chance to speak to your over phone / Skype.

Rgds

Chris

On Thursday, December 21, 2017, 5:32:23 AM GMT+6, Chris Collison chris.collison@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Hi Chris,

You could try looking at the works that Starwoods Group have done, layering KM practices onto Six Sigma. https://de.slideshare.net/satya_yudha/presentasi-ui

My experience is that the smaller the business margin, the harder it proves to sell KM in its own right – despite the repeatability multiplier which is so evident in the hotel industry.

Oil and Gas, Construction, Pharma, Big Government, Defence, Professional services – never a problem with multi-million $ projects and some tolerance for experimentation. But in an industry where they take the hooks from coat hangers to prevent guests from stealing them – well it’s a whole different world!

You might find it easier to embed KM alongside any existing continuous improvement work, rather than setting it up as a discrete set of practices (aka Slipstreaming.) http://www.chriscollison.com/blog/2013/07/16/10-km-implementation-approaches

All the best,

Chris

[...]

Dear Murray

Great to be in touch and thank you for your insights.

I am very much looking forward to speak to you.

Totally agree with you on CKM and CRM but limiting hotel KM to that (only) might actually be proof that hotel KM is [un] under-developed (firstly what do hotel companies do on the soft and hard / technology part of KM? .......secondly, if a higher degree of integration is achieved it should include financial and performance figures for bench marking, for admin. and operation SOP/PnP; meetings - offline/online, expert forum for inquiry and advise; After Action Review / Lessons Learned - library; Learning / Training - Skill training on the go [mobile phone]; date base containing details and directory of owning company and corporate office; Business Intelligence with analytics [what competitors do]; innovation center [new cooking methods, food trends; service innovations.....etc.]).

Hoping to have a chance to talk with you about this topic in the coming days.

Kind regards

Chris

Murray Jennex

Yes Chris, I'm editor in chief of the International Journal of Knowledge Management and teach KM and decision support to graduate students and use KM in the hotel industry as one of my favorite examples.  It is generally called Customer Knowledge Management but also fits under Customer Relationship Management.  Realize that both require knowledge about the customer to work and so KM is used to manage that knowledge.  I recall that one of the first hotel KM approaches was to use a rolodex with big customers pictures that the valets would recognize and pass the name up the chain as the customer came in so that the customer could be greeted by name, simple but effective...murray jennex