January 2018 SIKM Call: Andrew Gent - Startups & KM #monthly-call #startup

Stan Garfield

This is a reminder of tomorrow's monthly call from 11 am to 12 noon EST.
Jan 16 SIKM Call: Andrew Gent: Startups & KM: What they can learn from us and what we can learn from them Slides https://www.slideshare.net/ajgent/startups-km https://www.slideshare.net/ajgent/startups-km For online chat, visit http://www.tchat.io/rooms/kmers http://www.tchat.io/rooms/kmers and sign in with your Twitter account, or use the #KMers hashtag in Twitter. I recently featured Andrew in Hewlett-Packard: Profiles in Knowledge https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/hewlett-packard-profiles-knowledge-stan-garfield SIKM Leaders Community Monthly Call
When: Tuesday, December 16, 2018, 11:00 AM-12:00 PM Eastern Time Where: (712) 770-4035 passcode 178302
You can join online using your computer’s speakers and microphone at http://join.freeconferencecall.com/stangarfield http://join.freeconferencecall.com/stangarfield If you have problems connecting, see the options listed at the end of this post https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sikmleaders/conversations/messages/5400
Occurs the third Tuesday of every month from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Eastern Time (USA) Community Site http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sikmleaders/ http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sikmleaders/ Slides http://www.slideshare.net/SIKM/favorites http://www.slideshare.net/SIKM/favorites Previous Calls (click the arrow next to Date): http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sikmleaders/database/1/records http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sikmleaders/database/1/records Future Calls (click the arrow next to Date): http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sikmleaders/database/2/records http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sikmleaders/database/2/records Calendar http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sikmleaders/events http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sikmleaders/events Dialin https://www.freeconferencecall.com/wall/stangarfield/#/ https://www.freeconferencecall.com/wall/stangarfield/#/ Dial-in Number: United States and Canada (712) 770-4035
Access Code: 178302
You can join online using your computer’s speakers and microphone at http://join.freeconferencecall.com/stangarfield http://join.freeconferencecall.com/stangarfield
International Dial-in Numbers https://www.freeconferencecall.com/wall/stangarfield/#international
Afghanistan +93 72 989 0503
Albania +355 4 454 1712

Algeria +213 98 221 05 03

Argentina +54 11 5031-9546

Australia +61 2 4783 7110

Austria +43 1 2650541

Bahrain +973 6500 9124

Belgium +32 9 324 29 21

Brazil +55 11 3042-5290

Bulgaria +359 2 495 1721

Cambodia +855 96 696 7883

Chile +56 2 3210 9944

Colombia +57 6 7334209

Costa Rica +506 4090 1334

Croatia+385 1 8000 131

Cyprus +357 77 788687

Czech Republic +420 225 852 083

Denmark +45 78 77 36 33

Dominican Republic +1 829-239-8014

Estonia +372 634 6274

Finland +358 9 74791032

France +33 7 55 51 17 45

Georgia +995 706 777 583

Germany +49 209 88294442

Guatemala +502 2458 1450

Hungary +36 1 999 0542

Iceland +354 539 0352

India +91 7400 130 503

India +91 172 519 9044

Ireland +353 1 907 9721

Israel +972 55-966-1103

Italy +39 06 8997 1654

Japan +81 3-5050-5114

Kenya +254 20 7653281

Kosovo +381 38 413923

Latvia +371 67 881 973

Lithuania +370 661 05790

Luxembourg +352 20 30 16 53

Malaysia +60 11-1146 0074

Mexico +52 899 274 8860

Netherlands +31 6 35205063

New Zealand +64 7-974 6530

Nigeria +234 1 440 5024

Norway +47 73 79 03 14

Pakistan +92 21 37132323

Panama +507 833-6910

Poland +48 22 116 85 63

Portugal +351 21 114 3163

Romania +40 31 780 7054

Russian Federation +7 812 383-96-23

Slovakia +421 2/333 252 03

Slovenia +386 1 828 08 74

South Africa +27 87 825 0172

South Korea +82 70-7737-3405

Spain +34 872 50 31 53

Sweden +46 8 124 109 76

Switzerland +41 44 595 90 43

Tanzania +255 41 120 1004

Turkey +90 212 988 1774

Ukraine+380 94 710 5941

United Kingdom +44 330 998 1261

United States +1 712-770-4035

TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Today we held our 149th monthly call. Here are the details
  • Jan 16, 2018 SIKM Call: Andrew Gent - Startups & KM: What they can learn from us and what we can learn from them
  • Slides
  • Recording
  • Twitter Chat (see below)
Thanks to Andrew for presenting, to Phil Verghis for live tweeting and adding his perspective, and to the members who participated in the discussion. Please continue the discussion by replying to this thread.

Twitter Chat Transcript

Phil Verghis @phil_verghis Looking forward to Andrew's talk at SIKM #kmers

Phil Verghis @phil_verghis Interesting re: "geography not as much an impediment to share information - floors and walls are". #kmers

Phil Verghis @phil_verghis This is because effort is made to include geos, not as much reach out to those on different floors. @andrewgent at today's SIKM chat #kmers

John Sharp: Thank you for the insightful sharing. Lots of good stuff. Appreciated.

Aaron Buchsbaum

Thank you Stan!

I did not attend but loved the title. I scanned the slides just now – fantastic.

The story may be observational but it jives with literature generally. I enjoyed the points around “multiple technologies are OK” for younger & constantly-connected orgs. This runs counter to most governance guidance, but as Andrew’s slides point to, If communication is everywhere, the potential negatives of multiple platforms likely go to (near) zero. At least in theory, you’re left with the positive attributes/functions of all those different technologies that people enjoy.

Up until you become 50 people J

One point I’d offer up, is that KM thinking pre-positions you for good governance. The examples of stale/outdated wiki entries, and also that knowledge WILL get split among multiple social/comms platforms, is something you can plan for. Fully feasible to reduce the loss of history if someone is tasked to look out for it and to act as less of an information “architect” and more of an information “janitor” J  Who said cleaning isn’t sexy? THEY WERE WRONG.

Cheers,

Aaron

Andrew Gent

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for the kind words.

As for your comment about KM thinking positioning you for good governance. I have no argument with that statement in theory, with one caveat. Startups make as many decisions about what not to do as what to do. Limited resources (money, people, time, etc) force them to explicitly or implicitly abandon what might be the "correct" thing to do. Whether it is coding to get a feature out vs. making it future-proof, or flying by the seat of your pants vs. implementing good processes. The problem is planning for the future (especially if you aren't sure you will be around a year from now) can exponentially increase the time needed for planning/implementation. Something startups can't afford.

Achieving the balance of doing things fast against adding just a enough forethought to avoid future pitfalls is a tricky business. Most startups will lean towards fast and solving the current problem (as they probably should). The one mitigating fact is that even if this creates a problem in the future, a good startup will bite the bullet and completely rewrite/replan/redo technology & processes if the pain becomes apparent.

--Andrew

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 9:35:51 AM EST, Aaron F Buchsbaum abuchsbaum@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

[...]

Phil Verghis

Thanks again for the content and for hosting it.

The point about startups and process resonates (having been an early employee of a startup that is now rather big -- www.akamai.com and currently with my own little startup - www.kleverinsight.com)

Our belief is that for leaders, you have to create an environment where people want to share knowledge as part of their workflow. Or, they simply won’t do it.

Each person has a responsibility as well -- to leave knowledge/information in a better place for the next person, each and every time they touch it.

To make it this a part of the company culture, we say:

We can't change culture. But we can help change daily habits. Habits over time become
behaviors, and a collective set of behaviors becomes culture"

----
The single best way to make a difference in startup in my experience is to take a cross-functional process and show how sharing knowledge and easily updating it transforms the ability of the company to scale.

Resource:
In the talk I mentioned the de facto standard for KM in our space (high tech companies), Knowledge Centered Service, this is the link.

Peace,

Phil