SharePoint Archiving Advice #SharePoint #content-management #archiving

Jeffrey Dlott

Rolling out an enterprise SharePoint solution and wondered what advise you all might have with regard to site content archiving (i.e. pages, calendars, lists, libraries, etc.). There are settings for both closing a site and auto-archiving. Would really appreciate your advice.

Susan Hanley

This is very much an "it depends" scenario; it's hard to provide generic advice. For team sites where you want to preserve the content, you can flip the site to "read only" and that keeps the content available for as long as your retention policies require but ensures that no new content is added. For other types of sites and content, you should align your archiving strategy with your records retention policy. The approach you choose depends on what you are required to preserve and what content you want to continue to make available as a resource or best practice. That sometimes mean moving the "good stuff" to a more permanent active location and then disposing of the entire site.

joanna_pierce@...

I agree here 100%. In my experience, it's been best to set content to read only for a period of time before fully archiving. And, definitely consider retention policies. These are best to set up through SharePoint so the archive process can be handled automatically.

Best,
Joanna