Topics

KM Job Ladder

Tony Melendez <bamaster@...>

Good day SIKM friends,

My organization is exploring the possibility of having a dedicated KM career track/ job ladder. Having a KM job title is easy enough, but having a structured track is more involved apparently.

For example, a company may have a Project Manager I, II, III, Sr. Project Manager, then Project Manager Consultant. Each level would have a corresponding salary grade, scope of responsibilities, etc.

We'd like to talk to a company with something similar, but KM specific. Ideally in the oil & gas sector. Can anyone make a referral?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Melendez

Cayly Dixon

Hi Tony,

I can tell you that ConocoPhillips might be a good place to start. I'm in oil and gas and have been paying attention to which companies come up in KM discussions and they certainly standout. They have sponsored capstone projects in Columbia's IKNS program and have come up more than once as an example of good KM practice. This indicates they might be set up with the kind of structure you're looking for, or at least have insight.

I'm sorry I don't have a contact to introduce.

Cayly Dixon

--
Cayly Dixon, CPLP, MS
480-310-1382

Boris Jaeger

Not in the oil & gas industry but Mercer (consulting, outsourcing and investment services) has/had one:

https://kmeducationhub.de/knowledge-management-career-paths-mercer/

As for some other industries you may read:

Careers in Federal Knowledge Management @ 2010 ALA Annual
https://kmeducationhub.de/careers-in-federal-knowledge-management/

US Airforce Knowledge Management Career Field Education and Training Plan
https://kmeducationhub.de/us-air-force-knowledge-management-career-field-education-and-training-plan/

General reading:

Konco on the Knowledge Management career path
https://kmeducationhub.de/knowledge-management-career-path/
(see also "Further reading")

Stan Garfield

A Knowledge Advisor at ConocoPhillips is Suzan Pickels at spickels@...