Topics

AI, Cognitive Computing and KM

David Graffagna

Hello all ... I'm a recent newcomer to this group and the discussions I've tapped into so far have been very interesting and helpful.

I'm an independent consultant doing small-scale KM project work. More and more in my project work I'm being asked about AI, cognitive computing, etc. in relation to KM (e.g., How do we use AI/cognitive computing to improve/enhance the leveraging of our knowledge resources? How can AI help us "monetize" our knowledge assets? What does AI really mean in the context of KM? And so on ...) and I'm simply trying to educate myself a little more.

To that end ... what resources have you found useful in looking at AI/cognitive computing in context with KM? What practical, real-life experiences in this space do you have that you can share? Any insight, direction, or recommendations you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, Stan Garfield was kind enough to previously point me to his great article on Cognitive Computing and Artificial Intelligence https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cognitive-computing-artificial-intelligence-stan-garfield

Stan Garfield

David Graffagnam, thanks for posting and for mentioning my article.

SIKM Members, if you have any additional links, stories, or suggestions for David about the use of artificial intelligence and cognitive computing in knowledge management, please reply to this thread.  Thanks.

Murray Jennex

Edited

here is an article we presented this last January on combining KM and AI/machine learning to identify victims of human sex trafficking in online ads....murray jennex
Whitney_Jennex_Elkins_Frost_HICSS51_paper0539.pdf

David Graffagnam, thanks for posting and for mentioning my article.

SIKM Members, if you have any additional links, stories, or suggestions for David about the use of artificial intelligence and cognitive computing in knowledge management, please reply to this thread.  Thanks.

David Graffagna

Thanks for sharing Murray

Randhir Pushpa

Hi David,

Giving you a quick example of what we did to leverage AI in KM.

We built a tool for Service Engineers to leverage knowledge from tickets and resolutions as part of Incident Management engagement.

The tool that we built was based on NLP, Ontology and Analytics. The tool used NLP libraries, which helped engineers search for information using free text. The NLP libraries turned those text into relevant key words and searched in the Ontology driven database.

When an engineer searches for resolutions for incidents, our tool uses the NLP based key words and shares results and also suggest SMEs, learning materials (stored in SharePoint) etc.

We also used Predictive analytics and Pattern mapping (machine learning) on the millions of ticket and resolution data set to predict possible impact of an incident.

Would share in detail how we are leveraging AI in KM in sometime.

Regards

Randhir

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:38 PM, davidgraffagna@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Randhir ... I appreciate your input. It's useful to see practical examples in application.

Randhir Pushpa

You are welcome David!

The question that you raised:  How do we use AI/cognitive computing to improve/enhance the leveraging of our knowledge resources? How can AI help us "monetize" our knowledge assets? What does AI really mean in the context of KM? And so on ...

KM and Automation are naturally linked. There is a natural progression of any system towards efficiency and effectiveness through learning and embedding those learning in the processes. Knowledge management enables learning and embedding. Automation is a reflection of the end state of the system where all relevant learning has been made and we have understood all the variables underlying the phenomenon/task. This is a very linear movement with jumps happening through effectiveness. Analysis of any system will show that.

However AI brings a very different and interesting change in this, which is a bit complex to understand. Personally I am in the process of understanding this. We have simple use cases, like the one I shared, but the role of AI is much more than that. In simple terms it can play the role of a super human within a defined boundary to help us create new insights from data, unearth new knowledge ( Data >>> Information >>>>>  Knowledge ) and not only expedite our never ending journey towards efficiency and efficiency, but make it more comprehensive.

 Regards

Randhir