Knowledge Management and the Learning Organization #learning

Chet Robinson

Hello KMers,

I am new to the group after attending the KM Midwest Symposium. I am about three years into a formal KM role after a career focused more in Marketing (though KM was always an important dimension of my job).

I am studying now for my eCKM from the Knowledge Management Institute, and was intrigued by material shared there about the need for KM functions to integrate more effectively with the Learning/Training functions within their companies. This resonates with me because while my company has a very effective, conscientious Learning team, I have long felt that we are leaving significant opportunities to partner with each other unaddressed. Can anyone here share examples of ways that the KM function or team at your company (or past ones) is formally integrated into or partners with your Learning organization?

John Hovell

Welcome! We used this model at 2 different organizations in case that helps? http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/wdsframeworkv3.pdf

In both of those organizations, KM was part of the learning function.

I suppose I’d have more questions such as – what might be some examples of significant opportunities being missed? What might be some benefits of integrating with learning? Is it structural integration (e.g. solid or dotted line reporting to learning), or is it partnership type integration?

Thanks,

John

I am new to the group after attending the KM Midwest Symposium. I am about three years into a formal KM role after a career focused more in Marketing (though KM was always an important dimension of my job).

I am studying now for my eCKM from the Knowledge Management Institute, and was intrigued by material shared there about the need for KM functions to integrate more effectively with the Learning/Training functions within their companies. This resonates with me because while my company has a very effective, conscientious Learning team, I have long felt that we are leaving significant opportunities to partner with each other unaddressed. Can anyone here share examples of ways that the KM function or team at your company (or past ones) is formally integrated into or partners with your Learning organization?

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Hi,

We ran a recent event on a related topic in Sydney. The panel discussion is probably the best one.

Regards,

Matt

Paul McDowall

Hi,
Here's a link (https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a7bc43_efdbd6e469f54c98ac1d5f41d668457f.pdf) to an excerpt of the case study of my program in a central agency of government.  The full case study was included in the ArkGroup publication entitled 'Gaining Buy-in For KM' (https://www.ark-group.com/product/gaining-buy-km#.W4fwdehKiM9).   APQC has long recognized the symbiotic relationship between KM and OL and it's been central to all of my KM engagements.
Best
Paul

Paul McDowall
Know How Works
Ottawa, Canada
Web: www.knowhowworks.com

Albert Simard

Double-loop organizational learning is both an individual and social and social process.  You may find the attached interesting.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/organizationallearning14-141029124928-conversion-gate01/95/organizational-learning-1-638.jpg?cb=1414587416

Al Simard

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Murray Jennex

Edited

We are starting to conflate terms.  I believe the original  question was about a learning organization and KM and now we are adding in organizational learning.  All three terms go together but in an interesting way.  I've attached two documents, one is a review of the Knowledge, Innovation, and Entrepreneurial Systems Track at HICSS (Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences).  This document includes the basis model for how I guided the track (see figure 2 in the doc).  In this model Organizational Learning, Organizational Memory, and Knowledge Management are all related with KM being what users do, OM being how the IS group supports KM, and OL being what organizations do when they use the knowledge in the KM/OM system.  A learning organization is an organization that is capable of learning, this means the organization can take in new data/information/knowledge and use it to do new and different things.  It is different from organizational learning.  OL is the process the organization uses in utilizing new knowledge while a learning organization is an organizational culture that is capable of learning from new knowledge.  The second attachment is an article I did several years ago that looked at various KM success models and summarized a set of critical success factors needed for KM to succeed (see Table 1).  One of the CSFs for KM is having a learning organization.  So to summarize: I consider a learning organization as something that must be present for KM to succeed while I consider OL to be the process used by organizations to put knowledge to work.....murray jennex
Jennex_Olfman_KM_Success_Models.pdf
Jennex_Dittes_Smolnik_Croasdell_King_HSS-17-061_forthcoming.pdf

Double-loop organizational learning is both an individual and social and social process.  You may find the attached interesting.

Al Simard

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Derek Bostic

I am also new to the field but I am housed within HR and Talent Development.  While we are still building our framework and testing our approaches, my immediate questions would tie to employee development planning and succession planning.  From my perspective, there is quite a bit of overlap and integration with KM - Learning & Development - Workforce Planning. I have had success working our our HR Business Partners and asking where their current challenges are and how could KM be part of that solution.  I'm excited to hear updates about your journey and endeavors!

tman9999@...

I like David Garvin’s framework for Learning in Action, from the article Building a Learning Organization in HBR. https://hbr.org/1993/07/building-a-learning-organization. He describes Learning Before Doing, Learning While Doing and Learning After Doing (there is an excellent set of videos on each of these - they were expensive when they came out, but may be available in university libraries). The US Army’s After Action Learning approach is featured in the Learning After Doing video - excellent material.

While I was at IBM as a KM strategy consultant I used this framework on a KM consulting project at a major telco to help them structure an approach to skilling up contract software developers for their billing systems area. Working with this client we identified seven distinct initiatives that were parts of the solution. Initially the client had a couple ideas about a few of them, but by using this framework we were able to both identify more, filling out the program, as well as use the framework to present what otherwise would have been a complex suite of activities. This helped us communicate it internally much more effectively, and also helped us look for and identify synergy points amongst the various initiatives. We also used the framework as the basis for developing metrics and scorecard-based tracking and reporting, a key part of the deliverables for this assignment.

Good luck with your work!
Best,

Tom

Tom Short Consulting

Derek Bostic

Here is a nice example of a framework as a reference.

Murray Jennex

Edited

I agree with you on the link between KM and HR.  My journal, the International Journal of Knowledge Management, has a special issue (Volume 14, Issue 4) due out soon that is focused on personnel issues.  Additionally, you may find my attached article on how to assess knowledge loss risk in departing employees interesting....murray jennex, Professor, Fowler College of Business, San Diego State University, editor in chief International Journal of Knowledge Management
Jennex_Vine_2014.pdf

I am also new to the field but I am housed within HR and Talent Development.  While we are still building our framework and testing our approaches, my immediate questions would tie to employee development planning and succession planning.  From my perspective, there is quite a bit of overlap and integration with KM - Learning & Development - Workforce Planning. I have had success working our our HR Business Partners and asking where their current challenges are and how could KM be part of that solution.  I'm excited to hear updates about your journey and endeavors!

Murray Jennex

I agree with you on the link between KM and HR.  My journal, the International Journal of Knowledge Management, has a special issues (Volume 14, Issue 4) due out soon that is focused on personnel issues.  Additionally, you may find my attached article on how to assess knowledge loss risk in departing employees interesting....murray jennex, Professor, Fowler College of Business, San Diego State University, editor in chief International Journal of Knowledge Management