Documentation within Technology companies #communications

Maureen Mason

Hello

I am doing research on how technology companies approach their documentation problems and would love to hear from members of this amazing group. At my firm our documentation spans from code based documentation to guides/how to’s to on-boarding documents etc for our engineers. Our challenges stem the gamut from what system to use, who should write the documentation, finding the correct/current version of a document etc. We are currently exploring how to best set up a documentation strategy, which areas to focus on, what tools and staffing we may need.

I would love to hear from anyone who works in a technology company and/or works with engineers and the documents they create. What challenges do you have? What solutions have worked for your teams?

Thanks for all your help.

Maureen, Dropbox

Andrew Gent

Hi Maureen,

I've been involved with documentation for large and small tech companies for years and would be happy to share. But I think you will find there are a number of other groups out there that might be more helpful to you. To start with, try searching on "content strategy", which is very much focused on the larger strategic issues you are interested in. There's also an agile tech writer's group on linkedin that has a number of discussions about managing the documentation process.

Andrew Gent

On Thursday, September 6, 2018, 2:22:48 PM EDT, toastersam@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

Hello

I am doing research on how technology companies approach their documentation problems and would love to hear from members of this amazing group. At my firm our documentation spans from code based documentation to guides/how to’s to on-boarding documents etc for our engineers. Our challenges stem the gamut from what system to use, who should write the documentation, finding the correct/current version of a document etc. We are currently exploring how to best set up a documentation strategy, which areas to focus on, what tools and staffing we may need.

I would love to hear from anyone who works in a technology company and/or works with engineers and the documents they create. What challenges do you have? What solutions have worked for your teams?

Thanks for all your help.

Maureen, Dropbox

Susan Ostreicher

Hi Maureen,

I'd also recommend the Write the Docs community on Slack, if you're not already a member. It's full of friendly, helpful people working on documentation, mostly at tech companies:

They also organize conferences and post the videos publicly. Some of these might be relevant too:

Hope it helps!

Susan