VIRTUAL EVENT: Build it so that they will come #usability

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Hello,

This is a joint event between ISKO Singapore and Information Innovation @ UTS. It is free, it is virtual, and we invite everyone to participate. More info & RSVP here: https://www.meetup.com/Information-Innovation-UTS/events/251934697/

Regards,

Matt Moore

Organisations have spent millions on information and knowledge systems over the years and it is not always clear that they have extracted maximum value from those investments. Getting business value from these systems requires people to use them, and poorly designed systems that do not support work typically send staff into avoidance mode. Knowledge and information professionals have often struggled with this problem. In this joint session between ISKO Singapore and the Information Innovation Group at University of Technology Sydney, we will be discussing how to design information and knowledge systems to ensure user adoption and therefore return on investment.

This will be a virtual and face to face session. We'll have presentations from industry experts and practitioners and a panel discussion followed by a Q&A with audiences in Singapore and Australia. We will cover:
- Case studies of good practice.
- Principles for effective design.
- Lessons learned and traps to avoid.
​The format will be 3 x 10 min presentations by industry experts and practitioners followed by a discussion panel and then Q&A.

About the Speakers

"Designs that draw people to participate: examples of good practice"
James Robertson is one of the global experts on intranet strategy and design. He is the author of Essential intranets: inspiring sites that deliver value, What every intranet team should know and Designing intranets: creating sites that work. He is also the founder of the Intranet and Digital Workplace Awards (formerly Intranet Innovation Awards). James is the founder and managing director of Step Two, a vendor-neutral consultancy located in Australia.

"Design principles for adoption"
Michael Sampson is a research consultant, industry analyst, and internationally recognised expert on collaboration technology and user adoption. In addition to his consulting work at The Michael Sampson Company, he is also Research Consultant at Silverside in the Netherlands, helping clients with Office 365 and developing the PACE methodology, and Industry Analyst at Osterman Research. Michael is the author of seven books, including Re-Imagining Productive Work with Office 365, User Adoption Strategies (2nd Edition), and Collaboration Roadmap.

"The mysterious case of the disappearing user: why just doing user needs analysis is not enough"
Patrick Lambe is the author of Organising Knowledge: Taxonomies, Knowledge and Organisation Effectiveness (Oxford 2007), one of the leading books in knowledge organisation. He is co-founder and Principal Consultant of Straits Knowledge, Visiting Professor in the KIM PhD programme at Bangkok University, and President of the ISKO Singapore Chapter. His latest book, co-authored with Nick Milton, is The Knowledge Manager's Handbook, published by Kogan Page (London 2016).

About the Panelists

Bill Proudfit (鮑偉霖)
Bill says this about himself. "Hong Kong has been my home base since 1989. I’ve worked in records, information and knowledge management since 1978 at large public and private organisations, such as New York University Law School, Philip Morris International, Hong Kong Airport Authority, Galaxy Entertainment and Hong Kong University. I’ve had some success and some failure. Both are equally important."

Carolyn Austin
Carolyn is Associate Director, Knowledge and Practice Support (Australia) and Co-Lead, K&L Gates Australian Innovation Committee. She is a practice support lawyer and Special Counsel with a broad range of experience in Australian legal services, and a passion for legal innovation. In her current roles she leads a national team focused on creating sustainable precedents, knowledge management, process improvement, digital adoption and innovative approaches to client services delivery. Carolyn is also a sessional lecturer in the Masters of Digital Information Management at UTS.