ISO 30401 #standards

Sandra Lopez

Hi, does anyone have the full draft of the new ISO 30401 and could I share it?

Thank you
Sandra López PhD Ingeniería

Enviado desde mi iPad

Chris Collison

Hi Sandra,

I understand it is not due for publication until November, but am unsure of the specific day.

Watch this space!

Kind regards,

Chris

chriscollison.com

@chris_collison

From: <sikmleaders@...> on behalf of "Sandra López sandralopezm@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...>
Date: Friday, 19 October 2018 at 13:45
To: "sikmleaders@..." <sikmleaders@...>
Subject: [sikmleaders] Iso 30401

Hi, does anyone have the full draft of the new ISO 30401 and could I share it?

Thank you
Sandra López PhD Ingeniería

Enviado desde mi iPad

Sandra Lopez

Standard is set to publised 2nd November
Tks

From: <sikmleaders@...> on behalf of "Sandra López sandralopezm@... [sikmleaders]" <sikmleaders@...>
Date: Friday, 19 October 2018 at 13:45
To: "sikmleaders@..." <sikmleaders@...>

Hi, does anyone have the full draft of the new ISO 30401 and could I share it?

Thank you
Sandra López PhD Ingeniería

Enviado desde mi iPad

Boris Jaeger

Hi Sandra,

which version of the draft do you pefer? The English, French or Russian? They're all avilable on the web.

It's funny, at first the final version of this standard was scheduled for the beginning of 2019, then this July for the beginning of  September 2018. After that the date of publication was continuously postponed. Now we're at the beginning of November 2018. Probably we'll land again at the beginning of 2019 until the final is published :-)

Sunny regaeds from Germany,

Boris Jaeger - "Curiosity is the beginning of all learning!"

CONTACT
jaegerWM - Boris Jaeger
Albert-Stehlin Str. 6
79365 Rheinhausen
DEUTSCHLAND / GERMANY
-----
fon: +49-(0)7643-913880
mobile: +49-(0)1577-7544883
-----
mail: boris.jaeger@...
home: www.jaegerWM.de
-----
mail: boris.jaeger@...
home: www.KMeducationHub.de

ACHIEVEMENTS
KM Thought Leader (2016)
Top 100/50 KM Influencer (2013/15)
KM Multiplier (2010)
KM Expert Team Member (2007-2010)
KM Community Leader (2007-2014)
#1 KM Blogger (2008)
TLO Reviewer of the Year (2006)

Sandra Lopez

I prefer the English version

#1 KM Blogger (2008)
TLO Reviewer of the Year (2006)

Arthur Shelley

Hi SIKM Leaders,

The committee are also a bit puzzled as to why ISO 30401 is delayed.

The draft is complete and approved, but ISO are “tidying up” for consistency and according the standards format and style.

Latest date seems to be Nov 2 (according to BSI website).

As you see in the Draft, the KM Standard is about WHAT needs to be done, but not HOW. So it is a principles based standard, not process

Clearly every instance of successful knowledge initiative/program is unique to that particular organisation/person. However there are critical common elements to successful comprehensive programs and what the standard provides is a framework for these. Like any tool - done well for the right reasons, it will accelerate performance and sustainability. Implemented poorly (for “image” or JUST marketing, but without the commitment to purpose), it will potentially decrease value and create false impressions.

When ISO9000 series came out there was a similar challenge. Lots of people saw it as a way to make quick consultancy money. However, these self-proclaimed “experts” with the wrong approach (short term value extraction instead of long term investment in sustainable value creation) did a LOT of damage by setting up complex procedural manuals that were ore about control of knowledge than leveraging it to stimulate growth. Hopefully we, the knowledge professionals, we be clear as to why the standard is important.

This is one of the reasons why we are building an international knowledge professional Society. Sii that we are recognisable as a true profession and that there are people who care about the ethics and standards that highlight the (evolving) optimal approaches and practices in knowledge related initiatives. We are a broad and diverse community and our strength is that we facilitate flow of knowledge across disciplines.

Exciting times to be a knowledge professional!

Next week we will release a DRAFT charter for the society that has been cocreated by people who want to ensure Knowledge professionals are internationally recognised, as is the value we collectively cocreate. We would like your inputs to make this even better than it is already is.

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/10390250/

Arthur Shelley

Producer: Creative Melbourne

Author: KNOWledge SUCCESSion  Sustained performance and capability growth through knowledge projects

Earlier Books: The Organizational Zoo (2007) & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader (2009)

Principal: www.IntelligentAnswers.com.au

Founder: Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network

Mb. +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley  Twitter: @Metaphorage

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4229168

Free behavioural profiles: www.organizationalzoo.com

#1 KM Blogger (2008)
TLO Reviewer of the Year (2006)

Sandra Lopez

Thanks Arthur, that is a great initiative, I think that is necessary to share experience and lessons learning to build an authentic km, avoiding the wrong ideas that round I. The enterprises.

Enviado desde mi iPhone

#1 KM Blogger (2008)
TLO Reviewer of the Year (2006)

Arthur Shelley

Yes Sandra,

This is so true. Many people (especially those from large organisations) think BOTH knowledge and Standards are just for the BIG organisations.

No doubt this is where the attention is focused.

However, knowledge is a characteristic of PEOPLE

Organisations can perform better when people accelerate the flow of knowledge through sharing, conversations and stories. This is reinforced in the standard, but it does not take it as far as I would have liked to see. The challenge is the standard is a REQUIREMENTS document,  so needs to be able to be measured or demonstrated to validate compliance. Many aspects of knowledge are intangible and these are the elements that are hard to put into the standard, but in reality these intangible aspects are the elements that drive the value from the knowledge.

This is acknowledged in the standard and some of us wanted more on this, but we ended up with less that some of us wanted. This is the nature of documents verses knowledge. Knowledge will always be richer than information artifacts. Knowledge exists in peoples’ heads as an intangible asset and is quite fluid. It can be well supported by tangible artifacts, tools and processes, but in the end it is unique each person.

This does not mean a KM standard cannot be useful (deliberate double negative).  It is in fact WHY a standard IS useful. It provides a basic common foundation for everyone to get the basics of what it is. Although it is simple, it is helpful to guide people outside the knowledge profession and also to  assist those inside the knowledge profession from around who we are and what value we can (collectively) bring to decision-making and value creation.

Most people have an entirely different perspective of what knowledge, and KM is!  If respected KMers can’t agree with each other, how can others outside of KM understand. Who do they go to? How can they come to trust what can and can’t be done?

If you have a finance problem, you ask a trusted financial advisor what the options are (who, if ethical, advises within relevant standards).

If you have a drainage issue, you seek the help of a plumber (who implements to a standard) etc…

Who do you go to get rich trusted advice on knowledge initiatives?

Now we have a standard and we are forming an international society of knowledge professionals!

We are catching up with other disciplines! When we achieve this we will have a much bigger impact on decision making through knowledge fuelled options creation and prioritisation. The future is less about what we already know and more about what we don’t yet know. Our role as knowledge managers and leaders is to cocrreate new knowledge form existing to stimulate new options for better future outcomes.

This is why we have finally reached the “Knowledge Era” in PRACTICE (despite it being talked about theoretically for decades).

To be fair, some individual people and smaller teams have been practicing knowledge informed decision making in their own way for a long time and this is what gives them the edge over others in their field. Typically they are market leaders.

However, now we have a KM standard we can amplify the leveraging of knowledge at higher levels to advance wider society. We all  know how necessary this is right now with too many “leaders” making self-indulged, short term selfish decisions at the expense of long term strategic decision for sustained humanity.

Our success depends on us collaborating around what we agree on instead of arguing endlessly about what we disagree about. We will always see some things differently and this diversity of view is what makes us powerful (constructive leverage of diversity drives creativity and innovation). This approach will enable us to become an important advisory for many outside our field and collectively create more value.

Regards

#1 KM Blogger (2008)
TLO Reviewer of the Year (2006)