Evolution of KM 2 AI #AI

Karim Hussein

Greetings,

I have been assigned by my Management to handle the digital transformation initiative for KM.
I have started with investigating all possible technologies that can used to automate knowledge discovery and support remote knowledge transfer activities in my organization.
I need your opinion about the following action items that I am working on right now to achieve my goal and meet my management expectations:

1- Deploy a cognitive engineering KM system(e.i. IHS Goldfire)
2- Adopt a remote assistance technology embedded with augmented reality(e.i. Microsoft Dynamics 365)
3- Upgrade to SharePoint 2019 Enterprise

What do you think about these actions and can I add more actions to it?

My organization is an environmental management entity within a huge Oil & Gas Company?

Looking forward,

Karim

Robert L. Bogue

Karim –

I’ll comment to say that I believe that starting with the technology is the wrong end of the animal to start with.  The problem with KM in today’s environment is almost never technology.  It’s almost always attitudes and culture.  Certainly you can use technology to smooth out any barriers that are too hard to cross easily, but in truth the questions are more about what are the barriers that are preventing people from sharing their knowledge and consuming the knowledge that others have?  Once you understand the people dynamics you can come back to talk about the technologies that can help you shift those attitudes and beliefs.

Rob

-------------------

Robert L. Bogue

I have been assigned by my Management to handle the digital transformation initiative for KM.
I have started with investigating all possible technologies that can used to automate knowledge discovery and support remote knowledge transfer activities in my organization.
I need your opinion about the following action items that I am working on right now to achieve my goal and meet my management expectations:

1- Deploy a cognitive engineering KM system(e.i. IHS Goldfire)
2- Adopt a remote assistance technology embedded with augmented reality(e.i. Microsoft Dynamics 365)
3- Upgrade to SharePoint 2019 Enterprise

What do you think about these actions and can I add more actions to it?

My organization is an environmental management entity within a huge Oil & Gas Company?

Looking forward,

Karim

Douglas Weidner

Dear Karim,

This response may seem trivial, but it is fundamental, an imperative.

You haven't stated what you are really attempting to solve.

If just "handle the digital transformation initiative for KM," then others must define the needs, and you can find the best technology solution related to that problem/need.

Often, organizations take the alternative approach, that the technology will lead. While knowing what is possible is not bad, it can end up with the infamous 'hammer' aphorism -  'once you have a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.'

Typically, that approach leads to mediocre KM.

Douglas Weidner
Exec Chairman,
Chief CKM Instructor
KM Institute

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 7:50 AM Karim Hussein karimkm77@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Bounds

Hi Karim,

While it's certainly fair to say that not all KM requires technology solutions, it is just as premature to discount technology as it is to mandate it.

The truth is that every organisation consists of a mix of people, processes, and technology. Technology externalises processes in a way that is robust, but this can often happen at the expense of resilience. Understanding the correct balance is the key.

If you're running an enterprise KM function, you need a way to prioritise work that has the biggest impact. One approach that I increasingly feel has legs is the idea of an RROI ranking of initiatives. I've attached slides of a recent talk about the idea.
(I reference IM because it was a "data management summit" but it's really a KM way of looking at the world.)

Happy to chat more about the concept if you like.

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 1/03/2019 11:54 pm, Robert Bogue rbogue@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

[...]

Hi Stephen,

Excellent model.

At the KM Institute we recommend one additional step, which I think you implicitly consider, but we like to make it more explicit.

It is about the solution/action/intervention itself. To simplify, it is typically an exploit or explore scenario.
To exploit a well documented approach is relatively low risk, higher likelihood of success.

To explore, means there is no proven solution. In fact, there may not even be a better approach. To explore is obviously a less likely, higher-risk situation.

Cheers,

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 6:29 PM Stephen Bounds km@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback Doug, you raise an interesting point: How do you establish the value of an exploratory exercise with uncertain benefit?

Presumably you need to establish a correspondingly higher potential upside to justify the work -- and really, how many individual KM exercises are going to even double productivity? There are a couple of possible exceptions (eg large-scale knowledge reuse within consulting firms) but these are few and far between.

To me, this really reinforces the importance of quality publicly-funded research. Having practical, business-focused research available that adds rigor around potential impact may enable hundreds of organisations to implement a change with greater confidence.

(I hasten to point out that non-deterministic methods which explore a problem space without a fixed goal aren't the same as unproven methods. In a complex environment, an intervention tool like SenseMaker can have a proven track record without knowing the final form of the eventual business solutions it will guide organisations towards.)

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
On 3/03/2019 12:50 am, Douglas Weidner douglas.weidner@... [sikmleaders] wrote:

[...]

Randhir Pushpa

Dear Karim,

Wish you the best in your journey.

As mentioned by folks, do not start with technology in mind, but what you want to do with knowledge. Focus on what you want to achieve and then map the technology. However it is important that you are aware of the technology available.

My quick view:

1.       Since your focus is on automated knowledge discovery and remote knowledge transfer, the suggested first two focus (Cognitive engineering and AR based sharing) are good choice. The missing piece is social networking platform and probably digital assistant.

2.       Instead of employees going in search of knowledge and information, make it proactive and push relevant knowledge to them

3.       Didn’t understand how you are linking upgrading to SP2019 with your objective. SharePoint is more of a glorified content management system. If you are using for your KM purpose then be clear how you can use it

4.       Do some research on digital workplace and also look into KM world’s top 100 companies that matter in KM. http://www.kmworld.com/Articles/Editorial/Features/KMWorld-100-Companies-That-Matter-in-Knowledge-Management-2018-123291.aspx

5.       Move your focus beyond employees to task level. That way you can make KM more relevant.

We can discuss further on this.

Regards,

Randhir

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 6:20 PM Karim Hussein karimkm77@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephan,
I agree with your assertion.

(I hasten to point out that non-deterministic methods which explore a problem space without a fixed goal aren't the same as unproven methods. In a complex environment, an intervention tool like SenseMaker can have a proven track record without knowing the final form of the eventual business solutions it will guide organisations towards.)

I'm not challenging a proven research tool, but only the outcome, either a proven approach or not.

I recommend a focus on proven techniques first...there are many...as long as they solve a worthwhile issue.

A few convincing successes, before a more risky attempt, is always a good prescription as well.

For instance, if an organization has very complex, non-routine processes with high turnover, etc., etc., then they will need more proven solutions than just a traditional repository.  Detailed, process-oriented KBases, with very granular knowledge are much closer to the need. In 1999, I coined an expression 'Connect & Collect' to account for the fact that no KBase can ever be complete ('Collect'), and access to others who might know the answer ('Connect') covers that probable gap.

Cheers
Douglas Weidner
Exec Chairman and Chief CKM Instructor
KM Institute

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 6:15 AM Stephen Bounds km@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Rhandir,

Your last point:
Move your focus beyond employees to task level. That way you can make KM more relevant.

is the topic of another SIKM thread, where very granular, process-oriented KBases are discussed.

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 6:57 AM 'Randhir R.P' randhir.rp@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

I second what Douglas said about identifying the problem you're solving. You asked for advice on meeting your goal and management expectations, but I'm not clear about what these are from your message. Can you clarify? What is the business value and outcome expected from these actions?

If I may offer my perspective...Coming from tech where I run KM from digital workspace experience group, I view us knowledge managers as product managers where our product is about knowledge and our organizations are our customers. With this framing, what is the most compelling market problem (your market being the people in your organization that will be impacted by KM) you're solving that will want to make your customers buy your product? Will it fly off the shelf? Have you done user interviews and competitive analysis, for example, to understand what is needed, what aligns with org objectives, and where you would have the distinctive advantage to be doing this work and offering a "product"?

With all of this, you will be able to more easily prioritize and focus on actions that will meet customer objectives and buyer objectives (i.e. management). You'll also be able to show the business value along the journey.

I hope this helps!

Rosanna

On Sat, Mar 2, 2019, 5:50 AM Douglas Weidner douglas.weidner@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for pointing that out. Will dig that out and share my thoughts.

Regards

Randhir

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 7:12 PM Douglas Weidner douglas.weidner@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

Rhandir,

Your last point:
[...]

Joel Muzard

I agree with Robert
Have a good day!

Joel mobile
-----------------
Joel Muzard, Ph.D.

[...]

Hi  Rhandir,

Happy to chat about it in this forum or offline.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 7:50 AM 'Randhir R.P' randhir.rp@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Will mail you separately.

Regards

Randhir

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 6:46 PM Douglas Weidner douglas.weidner@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Good Morning Everybody,

Our main goal from this initiative is to save/optimize our time and efforts needed to support all our proponents.

My organization is a small one and we are  managing lots of environmental and health compliance programs side by side with providing consultations and technical support to more than 70 plants and facilities.

This is why we need to leverage from the latest advanced technology in KM and analytics to help our SME to 1) Know who, what, where and how with speed and accuracy 2) Provide an easy way to remotely share/transfer knowledge with proponent, 3) Conduct root cause analysis and find the best solution to solve environmental and health concerns 4) Build easy and simple operational dashboards 5) Automate tagging  6) Automate summarization and 7) Automate knowledge discovery.

Hope that I answered all your questions,
Best regards,
Karim

On 4 Mar 2019, at 15:49, 'Randhir R.P' randhir.rp@... [sikmleaders] <sikmleaders@...> wrote:

[...]

Guillermo A. Galdamez

Hello Karim,

First of all, congrats on your new assignment. It sounds very exciting! Now to answer your questions:

Your challenge sounds a lot like something my company is currently working on (incidentally, in a similar industry): Like you, our client has operations across the word, producing and storing data in a lot of disparate sources.  Their analysts and SMEs spend much of their time in creating custom queries to be able to answer their internal customers' questions. To solve this, we are building a graph database which allows us to map the data from multiple sources into a single layer, and on top of this, we have an NLP/semantic layer to be able to interpret users' questions in their natural language and provide answers.

In terms of proactive recommendations, we are building a recommendation service for another of our clients. Their users can sign up for a recommendation service: when they accept a meeting, the system automatically suggests reading material to prepare for it - these can be formal publications, working documents, memos, etc. Again, we are leveraging different techniques and best-of-breed technologies to make this happen: Taxonomies, ontologies, knowledge graphs, and NLP.

Here are some articles my colleagues have published relating to building AI solutions by leveraging KM: 'Achieving Real AI Through KM', 'Beyond Find: The Five Levels of Artificial Intelligence for Knowledge' and 'Bringing KM, Search, and AI Together'

With regards to your second and third points:
  • Augmented reality: I haven't personally been involved in a project using this technology, but I can see how KM can improve its outcomes: making sure that content being delivered to the device is accurate, relevant, and timely; as well as making sure that you can connect to the right experts when you need to.
  • Upgrading to SharePoint: We have done several of these in the past - and there is a lot to unpack: From Governance (Roles, responsibilities, processes), to structuring content, to cleaning and preparing content, to defining the new site architecture and permissions... I think I could write on any of these topics for an entire day. Generally speaking though, the technology piece is easy in comparison to the people part. Change management and communication is critical to ensure the process is as smooth as possible.

Hope this was helpful, and I gave you a few ideas to explore.  Feel free to email back with additional questions.

Best,

Guillermo Galdamez
Enterprise Knowledge