A reflection on the value of the ISO KM Standard #standards

Arthur Shelley

Stan and Knowledge Professionals,

Thanks for sharing insights from your ISO 3040 call. I am pleased that there is growing constructive conversation about the importance of the ISO KM standard. Despite a diverse set of reactions to the release of ISO30401, the standard is recognition of the importance of Knowledge Management as a support to individual, team, organisation (and Global) performance. The whole KM community will benefit from the independent acknowledgement that knowledge IS a critical factor across management systems (and becoming more so as we are now well into the “Knowledge Economy”). ISO do not release standards randomly – they ONLY develop standards that they know will make a difference for industry, based on solid research across many countries. This is a VERY solid argument for proposing KM initiatives into senior management (I.E. not just the knowledge professional arguing for their job preferences  and opinions – ISO30401 is formal international demonstration that knowledge initiatives are a critical element of high performance).

The standard provides guidance on WHAT should be done to secure the benefits of better management of knowledge assets, but not the specific way in which to achieve this (because this will vary with each organisation, situation and desired priority outcomes). However, the two books mentioned in your links provide useful guidance for practitioners on HOW to achieve best outcomes. The authors have all been around for a long time and share insights and practical experiences on how it works best.

I am very confident that wide adoption of the standard will elevate the performance expectations of whole industries - just as the ISO 9000 Quality standard did in 1990’s (after the initial troublesome period where some organisations tried to inappropriately leverage it for short term gain by “getting certification” for marketing purposes, but not actually making the changes for longer term strategic performance improvement). Just as applying the principles of quality management changed everything, so too will adoption of ISO 30401 (along with integration of other Management Systems Standards like ISO 44001 Collaboration and ISO 56000 Innovation).

Like any useful knowledge asset - do it for the right reasons and there will be sustained benefits, including both tangible outputs and intangible outcomes. Try to pretend that the organisation is “certified” for “market image” without the elevated mindset and commitment to the principles of the standard and there will be no real value. Paying a Gym membership and documenting an exercise plan is not where the benefits come from - it is doing the exercise that generates the value!

Regards

Arthur Shelley

Producer: Creative Melbourne

Author: KNOWledge SUCCESSion  Sustained performance and capability growth through knowledge projects

Earlier Books: The Organizational Zoo (2007) & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader (2009)

Principal: www.IntelligentAnswers.com.au

Founder: Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network

Mb. +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley  Twitter: @Metaphorage

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/arthurshelley/

Free behavioural profiles: www.organizationalzoo.com

Blog: www.organizationalzoo.com/blog

[...]

Paul McDowall

I agree with Matt,

While I respect the level of effort put forward to develop a standard, I don't foresee much concrete impact in the leadership ranks of the many organizations that I've done work with and been associated with, especially in the federal government space.  There's a dearth of understanding about leadership and management disciplines, including its foundations and standards.  As an example, I often asked senior leaders if they had ever heard of Peter Drucker - nope - or of any of the key international standards - nope.  I attended leadership development courses and there was no mention of standards or resources for further exploration of management disciplines.  In the same way there's also been virtually no indication of certification being a requirement for work.

My suspicion is that highly regulated industry sectors (such as Nuclear energy sector organizations that I've worked with) may have some possibility of adapting the standards into their own set of management frameworks but that would still be questionable and only part of a long-term process.

While this is the case for federal government agencies and the nuclear industry, I obviously cannot speak for other industry sectors.
Best
Paul