Yammer 'All Company' Distribution #Yammer

Stan Garfield

From: Jeffrey Dlott (redirected from the old Yahoo group)
Date: 14 Nov 2019
Subject: Yammer 'All Company' Distribution

Hi Everyone,

Have a question for Yammer users. What is your policy for 'All Company' distribution?

We are finding non-business related messaging (e.g. Happy Friday; silly pictures, etc.) being posted which upsets some people. This issue only pertains to the 'all company' distribution and not other Yammer feeds.

Curious if people restrict access to posting vs. moderating vs. deleting the 'all company' option.

Thank you!

Howie Cohen

We don't stop people from posting in 'All Company' and we find that it isn't used enough to be a problem.  People have some natural fears from the word "All" and fear exposure.  I post in there all the time and see very little traction as opposed to other communities.  If someone posted something inappropriate, we would moderate it.

From: Jeffrey Dlott (redirected from the old Yahoo group)
Date: 14 Nov 2019

Hi Everyone,

Have a question for Yammer users. What is your policy for 'All Company' distribution?

We are finding non-business related messaging (e.g. Happy Friday; silly pictures, etc.) being posted which upsets some people. This issue only pertains to the 'all company' distribution and not other Yammer feeds.

Curious if people restrict access to posting vs. moderating vs. deleting the 'all company' option.

Thank you!

Stan Garfield

Howie, thanks for your reply.

I know there are other Yammer users among our community's members.  Can someone else reply to Jeff's query?  Thanks!

Jonathan Gordon-Till

We have similar experience to Howie's regarding 'All Company' Yammer postings.

Anyone can post to the 'All Company' group, but there seems to be a natural restraint, with almost no frivolous messages. Anything really inappropriate would be quickly removed, though there is no active moderation otherwise.

We have plenty of subject specific and location specific groups which do seem to attract more of the non-business related messages.

Perhaps more of a challenge is for the 'All Company' group to be used for truly important company-wide messages, rather than messages which may seem important to the writer but which are in fact merely 'nice-to-know'.

Ashley Hartley

Our firm monitors the "All Company" posts. In some cases we take them down and then discuss with the poster what they should/should not post to All. Or we remove the post from "All" and put it into the appropriate group - likewise informing the poster so they'll do it right the next time.

Nicky Hayward-Wright

Hi Jeffrey

We have a range of groups covering teams/departments, projects, action groups, work groups, social, etc. and in most instance posts are created in the correct/best location. We don't restrict posting to All Company, however we have in place guidelines about posting what and to where, which is covered in staff induction (Yammer self paced online learning undertaken in a private Yammer training group)

Below is wording which is in the Location, Location, Location document (referenced in the Yammer training), which may be useful

---------------------------->>

Q: Where should I post content?
A: The idea is simple - consider who you want to read your content and then post the content in the group that most closely matches your audience.

Some examples:

  • If your audience is 1or 2 people you might consider a private message

  • If your conversation is confidential or private in nature use private messaging

  • If your audience (who you want to reach) matches the members of a group and the purpose/topic of the group, post to that group

  • If there are a few people who might have 'extra' need to see an item who aren't in the group you are posting to use @ symbol to notify those individuals

  • If have a wide audience you want to alert, post to the most appropriate group and then share to All Company

  • For casual or non-business posts, always use a social group

  • Avoid posting to the "All Company" group unless it truly warrants whole of company notification

  • Note that 'All Company' periodically gets a clean out, so it's best to post in the right group

---------------------------------->>

Remember If a post is created in the 'not best location' it can easily be moved using the move option (see
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Move-conversations-in-Yammer-149c6399-4ac1-4ced-84d7-e0660960a872). If you have a moderator they can recommend to the post owner to move the post.

Also consider that many people post from the publisher in their Home Feed, and unless they select a group to post to, the post goes to All Company.. Awareness and training helps to change behaviour.

Hope the above is useful.
Regards Nicky

Jeffrey Dlott

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience and insights. My team met today and found this information most helpful although we are still working to obtain consensus. @Nicky - looking forward to sharing your information too. Will likely publish a guideline inspired by what you just shared.

Best,

Jeff

David Graffagna

Similar to others who have responded here, our "All Company" distribution on Yammer is open to all, and while there are the occasional non-business postings ito that group they are few and far between. It's a very self-regulating environment for "All Company" postings. Plus my organization is open to, and has many non-business related Yammer groups on a very wide variety of topics and interests ... allowing people to have their non-business-related interactions without the need to address the entire organization.