KMS for Non-Profit Network #tools

Alina Pukhovskaya

Hello everyone!

I wonder what would be a possible way to organize a KMS in a NON-profit international NETWORK (very affordable solution).

Main purposes: wiki, forum, document sharing.

Simple but centralized?

I would mix Facebook group for communication, Notion for wiki and documents, plus/or Google Drive somewhere. But these type of solutions seem being too much for non-profits with which I work.

I would appreciate some new ideas! Thank you

Maria Svoisky Goldberg

Hi Alina, 
For the best saving, consider using the tools you already have. For example,  if you have Office 365 you can get Yammer (community), SharePoint (can be a portal and also a Knowledge base).
A couple of years ago I worked for a Non profit and we used the Atlassian suite which gave us the Confluence as a Portal and a Knowledge Base (not the optimal tool for a knowledge base, in my opinion, however it is good for Wiki).

CRM systems can also have a solution that you might find useful. 

Before selecting a tool, though, I'd recommend analyzing the needs/goals of the organization and then make decisions based on it. 

Good luck!

Katrina Pugh

Hello, Alina
As with Maria’s note, it’s so important to realize that money is scarce, and time is as scarce, if not scarcer, when you are a nonprofit pulling in other nonprofits. We had this in mind ten years ago when the Boston chapter of the SIKM leaders chose PBWorks. (Google docs were not even mature enough then.) Our goals were simple:
- Connect people
- Announce meetings and other events
- Share docs and insights
- Take notes on meetings
- Share job opportunities
- Link to email

You can read about it here, http://sikmbostonopen.pbworks.com and you can click through and someone will let you in to the closed community site. All are welcome with the understanding that this is just a bunch of KM’ers helping KM’ers. The centerpiece is the participation, not the presentation. Please feel free to come to tomorrow’s 8-10 am ET meeting (in person or virtually). 

We are starting a pilot of YouKno (http://youkno.ai/)  which is mobile-first. No commitment - we are going to pilot having SSO to go between PBWorks (where we can share docs, annotate them, and write pages), and YouKno (where we can post questions, polls, links, announcements, and use gamification). John Coles and Stan are also looking at a pilot of YouKno to complement SIKM@groups.io

Again, PBWorks is very primitive, but it was good enough for the last 10 years, given our focus on just getting people connected and sharing content. 

Kate

Katrina Pugh
AlignConsulting | Collaboration, Analytics and Strategy
Columbia University | Information and Knowledge Strategy Master of Science Program
Mobile: 617-967-3910

On Nov 20, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Maria Svoisky <arthemis28@...> wrote:

Hi Alina, 
For the best saving, consider using the tools you already have. For example,  if you have Office 365 you can get Yammer (community), SharePoint (can be a portal and also a Knowledge base).
A couple of years ago I worked for a Non profit and we used the Atlassian suite which gave us the Confluence as a Portal and a Knowledge Base (not the optimal tool for a knowledge base, in my opinion, however it is good for Wiki).

CRM systems can also have a solution that you might find useful. 

Before selecting a tool, though, I'd recommend analyzing the needs/goals of the organization and then make decisions based on it. 

Good luck!

Depends on whether it needs to be public or private. If public, then something like DKAN (https://getdkan.org/) or CKAN (https://ckan.org/) would work well.

They both are open-source, free to use and install – can be installed privately on an intranet if they need to keep content private – and are relatively straightforward from a user perspective. DKAN is a Drupal extension, so you get all the functionality of Drupal as well.

>--------------------<

Gavin Chait is a data engineer and development economist at Whythawk.

uk.linkedin.com/in/gavinchait | twitter.com/GavinChait | gavinchait.com

From: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io> On Behalf Of Alina Pukhovskaya
Sent: 20 November 2019 16:39
To: SIKM@groups.io
Subject: [SIKM] KMS for Non-Profit Network

Hello everyone!

I wonder what would be a possible way to organize a KMS in a NON-profit international NETWORK (very affordable solution).

Simple but centralized?

I would mix Facebook group for communication, Notion for wiki and documents, plus/or Google Drive somewhere. But these type of solutions seem being too much for non-profits with which I work.

Christoph Schmaltz

Hey Alina,

You already got some great feedback on tools and doing some requirements gathering upfront before deciding on any tool. Confluence was already mentioned which is indeed free of charge for NPO/NGO if you install it on your own server or available at a 75% discount when you go for the cloud option. https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/community-license-request

Another product you may want to look at is Basecamp: https://basecamp.com/pricing

It is not free of charge but maybe still affordable.

I would try to avoid using too many different tools, as this is confusing to users and you are creating information silos.

Best, Christoph

=====================

Gravelottestraße 3

81667 München

Mobil: +49 (0) 176 724 864 98

Twitter: @christoph

From: <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of Alina Pukhovskaya <alina.pukhovskaya@...>
Reply to: <SIKM@groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, 20 November 2019 at 16:38
To: <SIKM@groups.io>

Hello everyone!

Simple but centralized?

Murray Jennex

a university is a non-profit so assume an academic answer is okay for this.  We use google drive with each group in the organization having their own drive for sharing.  We use facebook groups to communicate to external stakeholders.  We use gmail for internal communication.  We use Blackboard for course based KM.  We use our websites for large group communication and some KM.

-----Original Message-----
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Nov 20, 2019 7:38 am

Hello everyone!

Simple but centralized?

Vinod Shenoy

I'll add to what others have already recommended as considerations before picking a tool set:
  1. Define what you primary objectives are - document sharing, communication of information, discussion (informal vs threaded)
  2. Understand your users comfort level with technology they already have, and gauge the change required if you propose a tool outside their comfort zone.
  3. Define the effort and technical know-how required to set up and maintain the tools you choose for the short and long term. This is often the most overlooked component that leads to disuse and misuse of the tool(s) depending on how much effort it takes and what happens after the expert/champion has left.
  4. Define accessibility features like offline use, internet connection speed especially in remote locations.
You have a variety of options that are free/discounted for non-profits:
  1. All in one solutions like Office 365 and Google Suite that all your users to remain on the same platform. It include email, messaging, pages, storage, search and file creation/editing through the browser itself.
  2. Collaboration-centric tools like Confluence, Huddle and Igloo.
  3. Document-centric tools like Box, Dropbox.
Hope that helps.Let me know if you need more help.

Alina Pukhovskaya

Hi Maria - thank you for such a fast reply!

I am not familiar with "Confluence", but see that it keeps coming up through the discussions here. I will check it out in more details! And then will have probably hundred other questions

I will also look again into Office 365-Yammer-SharePoint set up

Thanks!

PS Just wondering if I can reply to this forum directly from the email that I received? It took me ages to get to the laptop :)

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 11:29 AM, Maria Svoisky wrote:
Confluence

Alina Pukhovskaya

Thank you for your extensive reply, Katrina - extremely helpful! I am looking now into PBWorks and YouKno.
I also knocked to the community - thanks!

Maria Svoisky Goldberg

Alina,
Let me know if you need any help with Confluence  or ShrePoint. I know both of them  pretty well. :)
If I remember  correctly,  Confluence  has a free trial  that you can check online. 
For SharePoint, you can also view some tutorial videos (though for some reason most are around document  management  per se, and now KM).Confluence is probably  easier to set with limited resources, while SharePoint has more robust capabilities.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019, 9:41 AM Alina Pukhovskaya <alina.pukhovskaya@...> wrote:

I am not familiar with "Confluence", but see that it keeps coming up through the discussions here. I will check it out in more details! And then will have probably hundred other questions

Thanks!

PS Just wondering if I can reply to this forum directly from the email that I received? It took me ages to get to the laptop :)

Confluence

Nice discussion. is there any such application in open source?

----
Deependra Tandukar
http://deependra.tandukar.net

A 'TEAM' is not a group of people who work together, rather it's a group of people who 'TRUST' each other.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/22/19 04:54 (GMT+05:45)
To: SIKM@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] KMS for Non-Profit Network

Alina,
Let me know if you need any help with Confluence  or ShrePoint. I know both of them  pretty well. :)
If I remember  correctly,  Confluence  has a free trial  that you can check online. 
For SharePoint, you can also view some tutorial videos (though for some reason most are around document  management  per se, and now KM).Confluence is probably  easier to set with limited resources, while SharePoint has more robust capabilities.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019, 9:41 AM Alina Pukhovskaya <alina.pukhovskaya@...> wrote:

Thanks!

Confluence

Alina Pukhovskaya

Thank you Gavin! It needs to be private. I will check out the web page of DKAN

Have a great weekend!
Alina 

Alina Pukhovskaya

Thank you for your comment, Christoph! Confluence’s deal for non profits sounds great. Basecamp also has a 10% discount plus I love that it has a fixed cost (not per user) - will check out the functionality. Thanks!

Alina Pukhovskaya

Hi Murray! That’s sounds more like something I am used to :) Do you have a special deal with Google drive as university or use the 15gb that are included for free? Need to check what Blackboard is. Thanks! 

Alina Pukhovskaya

Hi Vinod! Thank you for your comments. Totally agree on the 4 points to consider - huge topic in itself. About tech solutions - thanks for adding Huddle and Igloo, will check them out. 

One nonprofit is actually on Google Suit and has it as a special deal for nonprofit. But the space is still limited to 15GB per user, which became the main limitation

Alina Pukhovskaya

Hi Maria! Thank you for your offer to help with Confluence/SharePoint :) I might take on that in a little bit! Have a beautiful weekend!

Best regards from Mexico
Alina

Murray Jennex

our google drive is kind of a mix of special deal and standard in that we pay google for our university mail and some other things and google drive comes with it.  Blackboard is a course content management system.  I use it for managing a class but also to create a knowledge repository of relevant articles and other documents.  What makes it real KM is that you can copy a past course into the new course so I can easily grow the repository over time and pass it forward....murray

-----Original Message-----
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Nov 23, 2019 7:35 am
Subject: Re: [SIKM] KMS for Non-Profit Network

Hi Murray! That’s sounds more like something I am used to :) Do you have a special deal with Google drive as university or use the 15gb that are included for free? Need to check what Blackboard is. Thanks! 

John Coles

Alina,

In addition to the great advice posted here, I'd suggest reaching out to Edwin Morris. His focus is KM in non-profits.

Regards,
John