Topics

SUMMARY & NEXT STEPS: Are there gender differences in posting behavior in this community? #gender

Katrina Pugh

Hello, SIKM Community

Thank you for your courageous and insightful comments on your experience of gender and difference in our SIKM community. Nancy Dixon and I read every line in every post, parsed them, coded them, tallied common themes, and summarized this for us all to consider.(Please see attached.)

We summarized this with the goal of inquiring, not placing judgment. We may have missed some nuances or thoughts, so, please feel free to send us updates (emails in the attached).

Next steps will be two live one-hour discussions each including approximately six people, and representing a balance of genders, regions, experience levels and job types. If you would like to be a part of these discussions, please let Kate Pugh and Nancy Dixon know (emails in the attached), and if there is space available, we will contact you..

We hope to conduct those discussions over the next month, and bring back concrete recommendations. We will also conduct a survey of the full community to assess those recommendations.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
Kate and Nancy

Katrina Pugh
AlignConsulting | Collaboration AI and Strategy
Columbia University | Info and Knowledge Strategy Master's Program Faculty
Mobile 617-967-3910

Jane Dysart

Wow, thanks so much for doing this wonderful summary, Kate & Nancy.  Very interesting – some of the very issues we discuss around KM!

Perhaps this will work into a session for next year’s KMWorld, Nov 6-19!

Thanks for including me.

Jane Dysart

Jane Dysart, Program Director, KMWorld 2019

http://www.kmworld.com/Conference/2019/

Curator of Curiosity & Partner

Dysart & Jones Associates

jane@...

Twitter & Skype  jdysart

[...]

Stephen Bounds

Thanks Kate, you've done a great job.

One thing that I've often struggled with (as someone who likes lengthy dialogue and debate) is that a good conversation can take over the email list. Knowing when this becomes disruptive to the list versus provides interesting insights to those reading is difficult - and from what I can see there is usually not consensus on that issue in these situations. However, I acknowledge that this might be contributing to the gender dynamics discussed here.

One practice which seems to be universally enjoyed is the idea of a summary being generated at the conclusion of a discussion. One way which we might, as a community, support debate while not excluding other viewpoints is to more actively determine when discussions and debates need to be taken off-list, while encouraging people to come back with a summary of outcomes, if any.

I certainly want to respect the norms of a group, but it's not really a medium which is suitable for democratic consensus for things like referrals. IMO we either need clear rules that can be objectively enforced or an active moderator approach.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Stephen.

====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 28/11/2019 6:15 am, Katrina Pugh wrote:

[...]

Stephen
This is helpful. I think there were several people who brought this up, too. I was in a group where summarizing was the requirement. Summarization is what we meant by “translation” in the rules of engagement section. At Columbia learned that translation was important for online discussions — not just to let us all know how the discussion landed, but all along the way, so that people could jump in and not have to wade through historical posts.

Thanks
Kate

Katrina Pugh
AlignConsulting | Collaboration, Analytics and Strategy
Columbia University | Information and Knowledge Strategy Master of Science Program
Mobile: 617-967-3910

On Nov 27, 2019, at 4:13 PM, Stephen Bounds <km@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Collison

Great work Kate and Nancy - thank you so much. Good KM in action, at many levels.

On 27 Nov 2019, at 20:15, Katrina Pugh <katrinabpugh@...> wrote:

[...]

<SIKM Gender Discussion 191127.pdf>

Murray Jennex

I actually thought summarizing responses was expected for question posters.

I have to say some things but am of course afraid to do so (afraid of being labeled a misogynist, sexist, or cretin; or of being ignored because I am not jumping on the accepted bandwagon).  That said, if I speak poorly here please forgive me, no disrespect or misogyny is meant.

I have had a problem with this discussion for a couple of reasons:

I don't see gender differences in my work.  Yes I am an academic so what happens in the university may be completely different than what happens in practice, but the truth is that in the California State University system we have been working for inclusion and diversity for many years.  My experience with female professors in my department is that all speak up.  We expect and encourage it.  All are respected. All are listened too.  Also, this is not unique as my work experience as a nuclear engineer is that I have never met a shy female nuclear engineer, they all speak up as expected and they are respected.

Given this experience with face to face discussions and work I feel uncomfortable with the data used to drive this thread.  Unfortunately I replied to all when I meant only to reply to Stan on this.  However, a simple 80/20 split on the last 100 posts as evidence of a problem is fraught with potential error.  I asked for further analysis and have heard nothing but I do believe the following should be looked at:
1) most of the female comments I've seen have talked about not posting questions.  I am concerned, as I've said before, that we are a list dominated by a few experts.  To me, a much more compelling data argument is if we had looked at the last 100 question asking posts and seen what is that breakdown.  2) I'd still like to see a social network analysis to see who are the main nodes and if these posts are removed, what is the gender breakdown of the remaining posts.

I'm not saying there is no gender issue, although my personal professional experience does not support it, my experience is based on face to face and I am willing to concede that there may be a gender difference in on line behavior.  I would like to see further analysis of our data to see what is our real behavior.

My gut feeling is that what we are seeing is that there is a difference between alpha personalities and beta personalities and that gender is not the driving trait, but rather the comfort of communicating in an on line mode.  I do think that identifying barriers to participation is very important.  Current KM research (sorry to you'all who don't want to read about academic endeavors) in my journal, International Journal of Knowledge Management, is heavily biased to issues affecting knowledge sharing, flow, transfer.  I see some authors mentioning gender as a mediating variable but most use variables that are gender neutral with trust being the number 1 issue.  Trust is definitely influenced by gender but there are also many other variables affecting trust.

My read from the posts on this thread is that trust is really the top concern, trust that you won't be shut down or ignored or dominated or talked over.  My real question is wondering whether this is driven by gender or by personality as I see some of the male posts reflecting these same concerns.

Thank you for listening, sorry for the long post, and sorry if I offend any of you who are uncomfortable having the gender debate challenged.  Once again, no disrespect is intended, only an open debate of a real question that will not be solved if we cannot discuss all sides of the issue.....murray jennex, Professor MIS, San Diego State University, Editor in Chief International Journal of Knowledge Management.

[...]

Mila Malekolkalami

Hi, this file was great! Thanks for doing that! are there any other summarized files?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 10:45 PM, Katrina Pugh
<katrinabpugh@...> wrote:
[...]

Mila
I’m glad you are supportive of this gender/diversity effort. There is a group of 16 volunteers from our SIKM Leaders who are working hard to draft a “blueprint.” (That’s a working title for the output, for now.)  The blueprint’s topics came from suggestions people made in November in the gender discussion thread.

Three focus groups (Jan 7, 8, 15) reflected on personal goals from SIKM, and we knit together the suggestions. (These 5 topics are a bit more aggregated than what Nancy Dixon and I sent to everyone in November):
  1. Introduction
  2. Facilitating norms or rules of engagement
  3. Adding other participation forums
  4. Improving the platform (or use of the new platform)
  5. Community management roles
Nancy Dixon, Susan Ostreicher and I will consolidate the volunteer teams’ write ups of the topics, and then we will review them with Stan. We anticipate sending the blueprint to the whole group for feedback/survey in early March

This process has taken two months, with everyone’s holiday schedules. We have been pleased to see the energy and passion for SIKM leaders!

Kate Pugh, Susan Ostreicher, Nancy Dixon

On Feb 7, 2020, at 9:05 AM, Mila Malekolkalami via Groups.Io <Mila_malek_1365=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Norman

You may be interested to see the work the Major Projects Association does in relation to Gender Balance and EDI

https://majorprojects.org/gender/whatitis

BR

Jonathan

Jonathan Norman

Knowledge Manager

Major Projects Knowledge Hub

07387 268596

www.majorprojectsknowledgehub.net

www.majorprojects.org

If you no longer wish to receive emails from us please reply to this email address. View our updated privacy policy by following this link.

Major Projects Association is a Company Limited by Guarantee

Registered Company Number: 2157656 (England & Wales)

Registered Address: 1 Abbey Park Lodge, Abbey Street, Eynsham, Oxfordshire, OX29 4FN

<katrinabpugh@...> wrote:

[...]

Matt Moore <innotecture@...>

Murray,

I am not going to call you a misogynist. But I am going to say that your post reads as a little naive.

“I have never met a shy female nuclear engineer“

Well, the nuclear industry is heavily male dominated (only 22% of workers are women*). A “shy” female nuclear engineer is highly unlikely to thrive in such an environment. You could ponder the role that survivorship bias might play in your observations.

* https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/toward-closing-the-gender-gap-in-nuclear-science

My gut feeling is that what we are seeing is that there is a difference between alpha personalities”

Those of you with long memories and strong stomachs may recall a post of mine on ACT-KM some 14 years ago where I identified a small group of heavy posters as “alphas”. They were all men. Most in middle age. Either American or had worked for America companies. And who either ran their own businesses or has some similar level of professional autonomy.

Having worked in female-dominated professions (librarianship, training, marketing), I would note that my female colleagues often identify where they have been talked over by men or they have struggled with their own internal sense that they are not qualified to speak. I have had similar conversations with colleagues of East Asian backgrounds (whereas Dutch, South African and Israeli colleagues have felt... less inhibited).

Creating spaces where those of different backgrounds feel able to speak is worthwhile. And I think those people should take the lead and we white middle-aged dudes should help out where we can. And recognize the limits of our own experience. And sometimes be quiet.

Regards,

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Nov 28, 2019, at 12:46 PM, Murray Jennex via Groups.Io <murphjen@...> wrote:

[...]

Arthur Shelley

Kate, Nancy, Susan and volunteers,

This is a fantastic initiative thanks to all involved.

It is a very good idea to facilitate conversations about who we are and why we participate in the communities we engage with.

It is especially relevant for the volunteers in the activity to represent across the full diversity of the members (including if possible those that are less active, because we need to understand why they are here – even with low interaction. Thi will provide more insights into how to more actively engage interested parties to bring more perspectives into the conversations to the benefit of all).

I am very interested to see the outputs of this.

Thank you for your investment, so we can all benefit from an ever emerging community.

Arthur Shelley

Producer: Creative Melbourne

Author: KNOWledge SUCCESSion  Sustained performance and capability growth through knowledge projects

Earlier Books: The Organizational Zoo (2007) & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader (2009)

Principal: www.IntelligentAnswers.com.au

Founder: Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network

Mb. +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley  Twitter: @Metaphorage

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/arthurshelley/

Free behavioural profiles: www.organizationalzoo.com

Blog: www.organizationalzoo.com/blog

Creative-Melbourne-Banner_2018_Final_Smaller

[...]

I'm in!

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 1:39 AM, Katrina Pugh
<katrinabpugh@...> wrote:
[...]

I agree with Arthur & will make sure there is room for a session  on this topic at KMWorld, Nov 16-19 in DC! And perhaps as a Knowledge Café topic too!

Thanks

Jane

Jane Dysart, Program Director, KMWorld 2020

http://www.kmworld.com/Conference/2020/

[...]

John Hovell

Here’s a related D&I with KM event for anyone interested:

https://www.meetup.com/Knowledge-Cafe/events/268405198/

Thanks,

John