Topics

The New Yammer and the best ever KM service being developed: Project Cortex. #Yammer

Last month, Microsoft just announced a new redesigned yammer and I just finished watching the on-demand video and I can say that MSFT is putting Knowledge in the forefront of Office 365.

I've attached a deck with the reference to all the yammer sessions at Ignite but let me say that yammer is now fully integrated in outlook so you can carry conversation in outlook, MSFT Teams or yammer as you like. What is most impressive is that they are leveraging AI across O385 including in the office suite,

In the first half of 2020, MSFT will release what I believe is the most significant KM service ever produced and it will come from what is known as Project Cortex. Enjoy the video here.

I feel they are bringing their offering closer to realize the MSFT Services KM Visio that is" Instant, Relevant Knowledge in Context".

All the best,

Jean-Claude
Digital Productivity Coach
Former MSFT CKO

Jean-Claude,
Thank you for this update.   I am currently working with a 6B+ global tech company embarked on an enterprise-wide business transformation effort that will affect many of the functions and operations of the company.   I'm doing change management and communications for this long-term initiative and am building a knowledge center on SharePoint (they use O365, teams,SP and some Yammer).  Teams seems to be used casually and as their messaging platform.  I don't find Teams inviting for a broad, enterprise-wide experience.   To really leverage the work of the initiative and accelerate the change process, I am thinking about building out a community of practice.

The information you shared will help me have forward-looking conversations with the IT dept.   Adoption/engagement programs seem under-developed.   I would prefer to build the COP in Yammer, and integrate it with the knowledge center architected on SharePoint.

Thanks so much for this up-to-the-minute information.

Regards,
Catherine

CATHERINE SHINNERS

DIGITAL WORKPLACE for Business Transformation

650.704-3889 mercedgroup.com Silicon Valley USA

catherineshinners@...

digital workplace | communications  |  knowledge management | community management | Prosci certified change professional

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jean-Claude F. Monney <Jean-Claude@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Catherine,

You’re welcome and congratulations for your Prosci ACM certification 😊.

I do not recommend Teams for enterprise-wide collaboration and would use yammer for this. The best way to use Teams is to focus on projects and create a team site relevant to each project where all the information related to that project can be integrated in one place and conversation can take place on the chat or outlook.

I would also make sure Stream is being used for meetings recording and search. They are using video Indexing technology so that you can search on a word/topic and the video will start at that word/topic.

Best,

JC

From: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of Catherine Shinners <catherineshinners@...>
Date: Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SIKM] The New Yammer and the best ever KM service being developed: Project Cortex.

[...]

Dan Ranta

Jean-Claude - I agree with you that it's getting better, but many companies want and need more...after all, it's almost 2020.  At GE, we enabled communities to do many things (see the list below).  Central was learning where it "hurt the most" from each business (and business segment) and getting real peer-to-peer problem solving that delivered the collective elaboration on a silver platter to those with the expertise to answer - and help.  We worked very hard to avoid collaboration overload (still a major pitfall with Yammer-type enablement) - turning instead to precision-based, surgical knowledge delivery.  Also, if an organization does not organize all types of significant knowledge by topics / competencies / capabilities - then there is very little chance to effectively curate, organize, find, and re-use the knowledge.  Of course, without effective governance, any social-based technology easily becomes a run-away train...chaotic overlap and and more collaborative overload.

So, can you have it all?  Can you satisfy everyone?  Is it possible to be optimal?  I am not saying it is.  Rather, what I am simply saying is that Yammer is better (I have watched the videos and seen the materials) - but it's a FAR, FAR cry from what it can be and what organizations really need in 2020 to be world class in KM.  By the way, I agree with the AI part.  About 70 percent of the bullets below had at least some minimal AI built into them.

Dan

General Capabilities / Benefits (high-level)

·        Supports LEAN Concepts (common operating practices and problem solving)

·        Knowledge Access and Re-use:  improved search / findability to drive knowledge re-use / productivity

·        Supports Competitive Differentiation - supporting both work processes and customer interactions

·        Supports the Retention of Critical Knowledge - helping to overcome demographic challenges (knowledge retention)

·        Support T-Shaped "Systems Thinking" competency development (critical informal learning channel)

Community-Specific Capabilities - Collaboration Support

·        Enables Impactful Collaboration (peer-to-peer problem solving) while focusing on Trust-based Engagement

·        Enhance capturing and organizing knowledge content with intuitive taxonomies that drive "aboutness"

·        Manages Expertise - elevating sanctioned experts and ability for all to nominate their respective expertise and find people with specific expertise at various levels (nominated and sanctioned)

·        Enables precision-based alerts to members based on nominated expertise - "right knowledge to right person at right time"

·        Enables finding people with specific expertise (or expert) by business in Discover Connections pages - across thousands of terms / capabilities

·        Connects communities as appropriate with sister-community sharing, which enhances cross-collaboration

·        Communication Support - Blogging and Newsfeed - parts of a digital strategy - particularly important to be able to comment on blogs and revisit these exchanges periodically

·        Enable mission-based teams (continuous improvement) - with built-in workgroups capability

·        Wiki enablement for more contextual knowledge - key piece of the Knowledge Architecture (wiki Lessons Learned approach) - New in Wiki produces article notifications using same community taxonomy

·        Enables Mentors to connect with Mentees when taxonomies are converted into career capabilities / competencies (Mentor Connect)

·        Enables Calendaring for community events - fully integrated with personal outlook calendars - supporting community-based learning

·        Enabled Taxonomy Coverage Radial Graph - to analyze the usage of each community taxonomy - showing gaps and opportunities

·        Enables RSS feeds for the right journal subscriptions to technical journals and periodicals - delivering articles based on community taxonomy

·        Wiki supports both Lessons Learned and documenting Governing Processes

·        KM Governance Materials comprehensively explain all elements of the solution including providing engagement

·        Aligned with Business Leaders to ensure each group created helps with significant business opportunities (Less is More) - the sets of communities by business are mapped to most significant business issues and opportunities

·        Community Business Case with clear objectives and means to measure results (outcomes)

·        Security - supports open and confidential (controlled with DL groups for enhanced security)

·        Supports managing membership - to view by business, import members, export members, change email alert settings, and view map locations

·        Organize user analytics using Sociograms (ONA) by community, business, and overall - featuring easy identification of community brokers

·        Wiki has the ability to create University summaries of all learning materials / courses by community

·        Identifying exemplary collaborative behavior made easy by Featured Member area in each community

·        Maturity Model to help with effective sustainability - focus on driving engagement (collaborative behavior)

·        Scalability - ability to become enterprise-wide with a common look and feel (UX consistency)

·        Adoption is fluid with an intuitive user interface and experience - supported by an extensive set of help articles and videos

·        Workflow capability out of the box (and customized as needed)

·        Scorecards on member usage and engagement - easy & effective to see who leading contributors and collaborators are in each community

From: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of Catherine Shinners <catherineshinners@...>
Date: Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>

[...]

Image removed by sender.

CATHERINE SHINNERS

DIGITAL WORKPLACE for Business Transformation

650.704-3889 mercedgroup.com Silicon Valley USA

catherineshinners@...

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.

[...]

Hi Dan,

Good to hear from you.

Likes like you have done a great job at GE, congratulations.

See my comments inline.

Best,

JC

From: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of Dan Ranta <danieleranta@...>
Date: Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 8:37 PM
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>

Jean-Claude - I agree with you that it's getting better, but many companies want and need more...after all, it's almost 2020.

At GE, we enabled communities to do many things (see the list below).  Central was learning where it "hurt the most" from each business (and business segment) and getting real peer-to-peer problem solving that delivered the collective elaboration on a silver platter to those with the expertise to answer - and help.  We worked very hard to avoid collaboration overload (still a major pitfall with Yammer-type enablement) - turning instead to precision-based, surgical knowledge delivery.  Also, if an organization does not organize all types of significant knowledge by topics / competencies / capabilities - then there is very little chance to effectively curate, organize, find, and re-use the knowledge. Yes and taxonomy is key. Project Cortex will bring taxonomy automation to a new level.  Of course, without effective governance, any social-based technology easily becomes a run-away train...chaotic overlap and and more collaborative overload.

From: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of Catherine Shinners <catherineshinners@...>
Date: Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>

[...]

Error! Filename not specified.

CATHERINE SHINNERS

DIGITAL WORKPLACE for Business Transformation

650.704-3889 mercedgroup.com Silicon Valley USA

catherineshinners@...

Error! Filename not specified.Error! Filename not specified.

[...]

Yours is one of the most specific set of capabilities requirements I've seen.   I have also viewed one of your SIKM talks on communities at GE.

GE has clearly invested in a KM needs first approach, and all too often, organizations have done cursory work in this regard and it becomes a tools first approach.
There is often disconnect between "business needs" and a mandate to move to technology that helps companies move to the cloud, help stabilize a core set of content, collaboration and communication capabilities for a broad, functionally diverse set of needs.   Little time is spent on developing the core capabilities that you articulate in your formidable list.

Here are some gaps that are all too common.
  • Lack of investment in identifying and clarifying capabilities needs (as your list does)
  • Incomplete or negligible guidance on modalities of collaboration and knowledge sharing mapped to the toolset.  (When to use which tool, in which context)
  • Poor understanding by organizational leadership in how to themselves benefit from new tools and practices.  They also struggle to understand how to appropriately resource the kind of stewardship and facilitation, measurement and reporting that your excellent program undertakes.
  • Under-informed decision-making on the investment for culture change needed to accompany  toolsets.  Your capabilities list is unique in it's clarify, specificity .
  • Underinvestment in behavior change - Daily I am alarmed at  how much critical business knowledge is buried in email threads inaccessible to few - limited connection, no taxonomies, little to no discoverability.
  • Cultures that do not recognize the impact of leveraged expertise using collaborative, network-based approaches of contact, knowledge sharing and knowledge leadership
I help people pick up the tools they've been dealt, clarify the best use cases and contexts for using them, and gradually lead them towards high impact knowledge sharing and knowledge building.   I would welcome a new era for KM being more integrated and valued into the core operations of the companies I know, whose success is solidly based on the knowledge and talent of the people who work for them, and collaborate together.

Cheers,

From: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of Catherine Shinners <catherineshinners@...>
Date: Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 4:39 PM
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>

[...]

Cristina Whelan

Hi Jean-Claude

I was really curios about Project Cortex when I read about it. I'm about to start a new position and have a good opportunity to elevate KM within the organisation. They say they already do KM, but as far as I understand, this is a group of people that work on a case studies repository. I know the organisation is a Microsoft partner and have access to Office 365. And while I intend to do a full inventory of needs and existing tools, I was excited with the possibility of using a MSFT tool to help with the implementation plan. The use of AI is promising.

From what you have seen, do you believe Project Cortex could be a game changer? Other than the well-known pitfalls we are all too aware of, what you think is the most critical success factor for it to work to its full potential?

Thank you for sharing!
Cristina.

Robert L. Bogue

Cristina –

I’ve got a post that explains my perspective on Project Cortex that will post tomorrow.    Everyone here is welcome to look at it before it posts.  The Word version is available at https://thorprojects.sharepoint.com/:w:/s/ShepherdMarketing/ESIc18ex30xGosW2G2AvmVQBdZruSPYHg-i-5vWYropNjQ?e=Wh2ggk

My short version is that it’s not really KM.  It does, however, reduce the friction that is felt in many ways and is therefore a useful tool

Rob

-------------------

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Are you burned out?  https://ExtinguishBurnout.com can help you get out of it.

I was really curios about Project Cortex when I read about it. I'm about to start a new position and have a good opportunity to elevate KM within the organisation. They say they already do KM, but as far as I understand, this is a group of people that work on a case studies repository. I know the organisation is a Microsoft partner and have access to Office 365. And while I intend to do a full inventory of needs and existing tools, I was excited with the possibility of using a MSFT tool to help with the implementation plan. The use of AI is promising.

From what you have seen, do you believe Project Cortex could be a game changer? Other than the well-known pitfalls we are all too aware of, what you think is the most critical success factor for it to work to its full potential?

Thank you for sharing!
Cristina.

Robert L. Bogue

Howie –

Can you clarify what you mean?  I don’t understand how this project shows technical debt.  As for doing more harm… I think that it will make people expect more and have more disappointments but that isn’t always negative in the long-term sense.

-------------------

[...]

I’d advise us to ask Naomi Moneypenny to present to our group.  I think enough of us here know her to ask.   I sat down with her a few weeks ago and discussed this project.  Beyond what is available in a public forum there is a lot to learn.   In my role today, I lead a team that facilitates M365 globally in over 200+ locations with 100k plus identities.   What Microsoft is doing today technologically is testing in production.   There is a lot they don’t know and it causes millions of dollars of damage.   In regard to debt,  we employ solutions with the idea they will work but wind up having to rip them out and rework or redeliver constantly.  If you need a list, we can start with Modern.   I have spent a considerable amount of time with engineering.   The answer they give when they break you is “sorry, we didn’t know”  but this apology doesn’t come with a check.   It comes at a cost to the business and in some cases harm to people.   On the onset,  insight and findability are critically important but when these are delivered without the appropriate context or story, this can bring a large company to a screeching stop.

Something to think about.

[...]

You and I have discuss this fact that sometime, O365 new features “break” the past. Having led the largest O365 platform implementation inside MSFT with  56,000 users, internal and external, I can appreciate the pain my team went through some time.

That said, it is a far cry from alternatives…

I think it’s a good idea to invite Naomi. Stan, please let us know how you want to proceed.

Best,

JC

From: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of Howie Cohen <howardscohenmba@...>
Date: Monday, December 2, 2019 at 8:50 AM
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>

From: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of "Robert L. Bogue" <rbogue@...>
Date: Monday, December 2, 2019 at 6:38 AM
To: SIKM <SIKM@groups.io>

Cristina –

I’ve got a post that explains my perspective on Project Cortex that will post tomorrow.    Everyone here is welcome to look at it before it posts.  The Word version is available at https://thorprojects.sharepoint.com/:w:/s/ShepherdMarketing/ESIc18ex30xGosW2G2AvmVQBdZruSPYHg-i-5vWYropNjQ?e=Wh2ggk

My short version is that it’s not really KM.  It does, however, reduce the friction that is felt in many ways and is therefore a useful tool

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the early view of the article, looks great.

For those of us that have been around for a while (no grey hairs yet for me thankfully!), we've seen a number of solutions be released to the market that "mine interactions" to infer expertise and knowledge. All have ultimately foundered.

There are a few ways that this could be different:

  • Scale: Microsoft is the single most dominant player in this market, so a *lot* of organisations will end up with this capability without having to consider a standalone purchase.
  • Reach: these tools are limited by the interactions and resources they can see. If Microsoft is successful, then people will be working *in* O365 more than in previous environments, which gives Cortex greater visibility.
  • Smarts: there's no doubting that Microsoft is investing heavily, and in AI in particular.

However:

Talking with a number of MVPs about different aspects of O365, it's clear that Microsoft doesn't always have a clear strategic vision that joins up the various products, and they can be very weak on the underlying architectural thinking.

O365 is also *not* the entire universe for staff, and to the point that Rob made, integration with other information sources will be key (although likely not a priority for Microsoft).

Lastly: this will only succeed if O365 gains deep and wide adoption. This is far from certain. Despite the investment in Teams for example, we're seeing most of our clients still dabbling in shallow waters, not ready to dive in deep...

Fun times, that's for sure!

Cheers,
James

--
Step Two James Robertson
Founder and Managing Director | Step Two

Robert L. Bogue

James –

I’ve got more than a few hairs, whether it’s the children or Microsoft can’t be determined 😉

Let me hit a few of your points.  First, I agree that Microsoft doesn’t have one architecture for Office 365.  It’s an internal battle.  However, Microsoft has settled on Microsoft Search as a single platform.  Fluent framework means everyone will be using the same display framework.  More than ever Microsoft is standardizing in key places.  They’re still doing bonehead things but they’re getting less scattered.

More than anything, I can tell you that Project Cortex has the right architecture (internal to itself.)  It’s Naomi Moneypenny’s team and she’s without a doubt the smartest person I’ve met.  She understands this space better than anyone at Microsoft ever has.

In terms of mining interactions – that’s easy.  Microsoft Graph already does it – and it does work.  The signals are light weight – and the users do them.  It gives Microsoft visibility about relationships.  The only challenge I have with it is that it’s currently implemented on a 60 day window (or it was) so people that you don’t talk to in a while don’t count.  However, there was some discussion about augmenting it with your LinkedIn network – basically you could pin people into your graph.  I’ve not checked on that progress lately – but you can see the UI goodness showing up in places.

As for not being the universe… I totally agree.  If you think about the platform as being powered by search… then search connectors expand this world appropriately.  Also, for those of us who have built solutions to intentionally surface information for search engines (think reverse connector, the app makes itself easier to crawl) this opens an opportunity to expand the access even further.

For us, we see people living in Office 365.  I’ve got a handful of customers who’ve not made the leap – but most have.  I’ve got some customers with Hybrid deployments – which is fine when you’re looking at a search powered platform.

I’m actually really excited because I know how much friction matters when you’re talking about end users.  I still don’t think it’s the same as KM – but I think the reduction of friction is a critical component that this gives us a way to address.

Rob

-------------------

[...]

Image removed by sender. Step Two

James Robertson
Founder and Managing Director | Step Two
Ph: +61 2 9319 7901 | M: +61 416 054 213
www.steptwo.com.au

Cristina Whelan

I just want to say that I would love the opportunity to see a presentation from Naomi Moneypenny on Project Cortex!

It's been really enlightening to get your perspectives on the tool and I'll certainly be much more conscious of everything you brought up here.

Thank you!

Christian De Neef

I am at the European SharePoint Conference in Prague this week (follow the #ESPC19 hashtag on Twitter for updates) and Naomi presented on Project Cortex on Tuesday morning.  I was talking with Luis Suarez afterwards, who is here too this week, and we both agreed that although Cortex was stunning... it isn't KM!  It is Microsoft's most interesting and powerful attempt to exploit the graph and present information (not knowledge) based on connections, conversations and/or other forms of interaction, profiles, themes, etc. which may make it incredibly more efficient to source the right data/info, but there is a serious danger for organizations to think that they just need Cortex and their KM needs will be fulfilled! @cdn

Howie Cohen

Truth..

Message sent from mobile device