Interested in chatting Knowledge Management for research/education purpose #request

Maureen Mason

Hello

My company Dropbox is exploring and looking to understand better the problems and needs within the Knowledge Management space. I am able to provide my perspective and research internally but they would benefit from some additional view points.

Would anyone be interested in speaking for 30 mins with the Paper product team?

Any questions please let me know.

TIA
Maureen

Arthur Shelley

Hi Maureen,

Please provide a little more context to where you think KM may assist and where the opportunities might be for your organisation (and what you/they desire to achieve). This will enable prospective advisors to understand how they might assist you best. KM Is a very broad discipline with a very diverse group of people across many expertise areas. “Generic KM” does not help much, whereas specific challenges and projects in which to apply (or even cocreate new) knowledge is how most value is generated.

Regards

Arthur Shelley

Producer: Creative Melbourne

Author: KNOWledge SUCCESSion  Sustained performance and capability growth through knowledge projects

Earlier Books: The Organizational Zoo (2007) & Being a Successful Knowledge Leader (2009)

Principal: www.IntelligentAnswers.com.au

Founder: Organizational Zoo Ambassadors Network

Mb. +61 413 047 408  Skype: Arthur.Shelley  Twitter: @Metaphorage

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/arthurshelley/

Free behavioural profiles: www.organizationalzoo.com

Blog: www.organizationalzoo.com/blog

Creative-Melbourne-Banner_2018_Final_Smaller

My company Dropbox is exploring and looking to understand better the problems and needs within the Knowledge Management space. I am able to provide my perspective and research internally but they would benefit from some additional view points.

Would anyone be interested in speaking for 30 mins with the Paper product team?

Any questions please let me know.

TIA
Maureen

Maureen Mason

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for asking, and yes KM is a very broad field. That is one of the concepts that I am trying to impart to them and why I wanted them to have the opportunity to get additional POV's. Dropbox announced in June our new category, the Smart Workspace (https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/product/introducing-dropbox-spaces) . Part of that is taking an internal tool we created and making it a feature called Dropbox Binder. It has the potential to be a really great KM tool but the team is still learning about the space, the problems etc. Hence asking if anyone was willing to talk KM with the team, help them better understand the field. And on the flip side let's us have a front row into telling developers what is needed in tooling. Which of course is only a part of a KM function, also a conversation I often have on repeat.

I hope that helps to clear up my ask a little. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Maureen

Hi Maureen. I’d be willing to lead a dialogue with them. When I worked for Jive (and before that at Lotus) we used to have these conversations frequently. It was always an uphill battle, though, to get product teams’ heads out of the product and into the place where work gets done, where a given software-based product might afford some meaningful benefit.

In order to do that, these teams needed to move past generic use cases, and get to the point of understanding the nuances of a real-life application of the product to an actual team or workflow. Only then could they start to understand and appreciate how variable the uptake of a new technology can be, and how dependent it is on company and local culture, and the individuals who are expected to use it.

Absent this, you end up with the kitchen sink approach to product development - every conceivable feature anyone can think of is thrown in, with no regard at all to the actual configurations that real life users might actually end up using over and over again.

Good luck with your effort here - sounds like an interesting opportunity!

Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Alina Pukhovskaya

I am a dig fan of Dropbox for personal use and would love to understand better how it could potentially support an organization in KM effort.

Just saying, in case the discussion of Tom with Dropbox could be recorded/summarized/attended.

Thanks!
Alina