Jan. 21 SIKM Call: David Eddy on Alchemy of Data Elements #monthly-call

Lee Romero

Thanks, Stan, for everything you do to keep this community thriving and sharing!

And, thanks to David for what I thought was an intriguing topic.  

I did not so much have a question but just a few thoughts to share.

I actually arrived at working in the knowledge management domain (in recent years, specifically focusing on enterprise search) after working for quite some time as a software engineer - so I found David'd thesis resonated well with me.

I always thought naming in software engineering to be of critical importance - largely because software is almost entirely a mental construct.  Unlike, say, a hardware tool you can hold in your hand, you can't really "hold" a variable or a function or module or class, etc.  But you have to refer to them.

Following good naming conventions is important especially in any environment where you work with others, but I have found even on code that I never plan to share with anyone - I'm a different person the next day or next week or next year and my context and perspective will change and then names that seemed appropriate initially suddenly seem inadequate.

There is a lot of similarity between the work of an enterprise taxonomist and a developer in the area of "naming" I find - but the developer tends to be less rigid (Or, maybe that's just me :) ) in following even self-defined naming conventions.

So I am definitely on board with the idea - but also don't have much to say about how we "get there".

Thanks, though, for an interesting discussion, David.

Regards
Lee Romero

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 12:59 PM Stan Garfield <stangarfield@...> wrote:
TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Today we held our 173rd monthly call. 
Here are the details:

• January 21, 2020 SIKM Call: David Eddy on Alchemy of Data elements - Top Down Meets Bottom Up
  • Slides
  • Recording

Thanks to David for presenting, to Dennis Thomas for the ensuing discussion, and to those who attended. Please continue the discussion here by replying to this thread.

References

Stan Garfield

Edited

TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Today we held our 173rd monthly call. 
Here are the details:

• January 21, 2020 SIKM Call: David Eddy - Alchemy of Data Elements: Top Down Meets Bottom Up
  • Slides
  • Recording

Thanks to David for presenting, to Dennis Thomas for the ensuing discussion, and to those who attended. Please continue the discussion here by replying to this thread.

References

Stan Garfield

This is a reminder of tomorrow's monthly call from 11 am to 12 noon EST.

SIKM Leaders Community Monthly Call

• When: Tuesday, January 21, 2020, 11:00 AM-12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
  • Where: (712) 770-4035 (US and Canada) Passcode 178302
  • International Dial-in Numbers
  • You can join online using your computer’s speakers and microphone at http://join.freeconferencecall.com/stangarfield
    - Online Meeting ID: stangarfield
  • If you join online, be sure to click on the grey phone icon and then choose your audio preference. If your audio is live, you should see a red phone icon.
  • If you have problems connecting, call customer service at 844-844-1322.
  • Occurs the third Tuesday of every month from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Eastern Time (USA)
  • Commnituy Site 
  • Slides
  • Previous Calls
  • Future Calls
  • Calendar