KM Gap Assessment | KM Health check | KM Maturity Assessment #maturity #assessment

Minu Mittal

Questionnaire- What are some of the questions you would ask the Leadership, to assess gap in the Knowledge Flow. Do you have sample questionnaire of a KM Gap Assessment. any sample, template, or collateral you can share.

I am working on creating a best practice for constant feedback and one on one interview with the leadership. I will be happy to share it back with all the contributors. Happy to answer any questions.

Karen Budelier Brown

APQC has a KM Maturity assessment tool that helps with identifying gaps:

--
Karen Budelier Brown

Stan Garfield

Minu, thanks for posting your query here. The following may be helpful.

1. Maturity Models

2. Surveys

3. Self-Assessments

4. Knowledge Audits

5. Recent post by Johannes Schunter in the KM4Dev Community:

"From my experience, a KM Audit or Needs Assessment might include some or all of the following:

  1. Conduct a network mapping to identify existing networks, partners, focal points, along with their role, mandate and day-to-day practice interactions
  2. Conduct mapping of the organization's past and planned knowledge products and services, including purpose, target audience, format, and dissemination channels
  3. Conduct focus group interviews and online survey with staff with regards to knowledge needs of around specific key areas of work
  4. Conduct online survey with a selection of partners with regards to knowledge needs of partners and clients
  5. Conduct brief assessment of knowledge related processes within the organization
  6. Conduct brief assessment of key IT infrastructure for knowledge management, including needs/gaps analysis with regards to IT systems for document storage, online content management, internal communication and knowledge networking.
  7. Analyze interview and survey results"

Minu Mittal

Thank you Karen and Stan. This is great input. Highly Appreciate.

David Griffiths <david@...>

There is a BIG discussion to be had regarding KM maturity/auditing, which will be constrained by what KM actually means to you and your organisation and, more importantly, what you want it to mean in the future (current Vs anticipated state).

However, one critical consideration, regardless of beliefs, is to move beyond thinking of networks as purely being about people.

Instead, start looking at networks as influence maps populated by people and objects - for example, KM is governed/influenced by policy/SOP documents that act to constrain/liberate KM activity. From there, you can understand how to influence the system, as well as creating 'whole system views' of current and desired states.

Hope that helps and provides some food for thought.

Cheers, David

Jasper Lavertu

Hi Minu,

We (a shipbuilding company) developed a maturity model inspired by the one of APQC and added our definition of the knowledge processes to it (knowledge inventorying, creation, storage & accessibility, sharing, application, and (e)valuation). We made a matrix scheme to combine the maturity levels with the knowledge processes. At each knowledge process, we added descriptions of what we would see happening in the organization when a particular level was reached.

Making it a bit more tangible really helped management and team leaders to feel confident in working with the concept. Semi-structured interviews were conducted with team leaders and some team members to identify the current state of affairs.

Yes, this is a qualitative approach based on the views of team leaders and team members (and my interpretation of it) and therefore subjective. But our main goal of this maturity model is NOT to work on specific, quantifiable KPIs, but rather to raise awareness and start the discussion throughout the company about the management of knowledge and how to improve it. This approach also helped in visualizing our need to take a holistic approach and it helped to focus on the right things at the right time in the right order.

Btw, literature about qualitative research methods provide many suggestions on how to analyze interview data.

Hopefully this helps. Kind regards,
Jasper