Topics

Knowledge Transfer - Feedback questionnaire #discussion-starter

Grazyna Wykowska

Dear All,

I am a knowledge manager and one of my tasks is to establish a company wide knowledge transfer process and facilitate knowledge transfer cases.

I would like to monitor the satisfaction and added value of the knowledge transfers performed with support of knowledge management department,  when people are leaving their positions. The goal is to continuously improve the method we use to facilitate the transition from the departing employee to the successor.

In the closure meeting of the transfer I (KM facilitator) would like to distribute a questionnaire which departing employee, successor & manager would need to complete. (HOT FEEDBACK)
Possible questions:
1. Are you satisfied with the knowledge transfer process (1-not satisfied; 5- strongly satisfied)
2. Do you think you have received all the necessary knowledge to smoothly take over the position ( 1 - no - strongly disagree; 5 - yes, strongly agree) - For successor
3. Do you think you have transferred all the necessary knowledge the successor needs to smoothly take over the position (1 - no - strongly disagree; 5 - yes, strongly agree) - For departing employee
4. If possible, please quantify the added value of the performed transfer (time saving, money saving,...): Manager
5. Do you have any improvement suggestions for our transfer method? Please share it with us

3 - 6 months after the closure I would like to talk again to the successor and the manager to reflect on a transfer and what we might have missed (COLD FEEDBACK).
For successor
1. Do you think knowledge transfer helped you with familiarisation with your new job?
2. Did knowledge transfer help you to gain all the necessary knowledge to fulfil your position?
3. Please name any knowledge areas that we missed while identifying topics to transfer
4. Do you have any improvement suggestions for our transfer method? Please share it with us

For the manager
1. Do you think knowledge transfer helped your employee with familiarisation with his or her new job?
2. If possible, please quantify the added value of the performed transfer (time saving, money saving,...)
3. Do you have any improvement suggestions for our transfer method? Please share it with us

My question to you: do you use this kind of feedback questionnaires? If not, why not? If so, what are the questions you use? What do you think of the questions I listed?

Thanks a lot for you support!

Kind regards,
Grazyna

Stan Garfield

Grazyna, thanks for your post.

Your questions are good ones. Here are a few suggestions.

  1. Replace the 1-5 scale with a simple yes or no, e.g., Are you satisfied with the knowledge transfer process?
  2. Instead of asking them to quantify the value, which is hard to do, ask for one or two expected benefits.
  3. Ask no more than 3 questions of any one person.
By keeping the number of questions to a minimum and not making anyone have to think too hard about a 1-5 rating or a quantitative value, you can assure people that it will be fast and easy.

Grazyna Wykowska

Dear Stan,

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback! Greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Grazyna