March 2020 SIKM Call: John Hovell and David Gurteen - Conversational Leadership #monthly-call #conversation #leadership

This is a reminder of tomorrow's monthly call from 11 am to 12 noon EDT. Note: We are now on Daylight Savings Time in the US.

  • March 17, 2020 SIKM Call: John Hovell and David Gurteen on Conversational Leadership: Leading a conversational approach to life
  • Slides - There is no live screen sharing - you follow along by advancing the slides in SlideShare.
  • For online chat, visit tchat.io and sign in with your Twitter account, or use the #KMers hashtag in Twitter.
  • The story of our community

SIKM Leaders Community Monthly Call

  • When: Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 11:00 AM-12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
  • Where: (712) 770-4035 (US and Canada) Passcode 178302
  • International Dial-in Numbers
  • You can join online using your computer’s speakers and microphone at http://join.freeconferencecall.com/stangarfield
    - Online Meeting ID: stangarfield
  • If you join online, be sure to click on the grey phone icon and then choose your audio preference. If your audio is live, you should see a red phone icon.
  • If you have problems connecting, call customer service at 844-844-1322.
  • Occurs the third Tuesday of every month from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM Eastern Time (USA)
  • Community Site
  • Slides - There is no live screen sharing - you follow along by advancing the slides in SlideShare.
  • Previous Calls
  • Future Calls
  • Calendar

Good call today. Thanks, John Hovell and David Gurteen (and, of course, Stan!).

Further to my comment comparing Conversational Leadership to Michael Kahn's 1971 piece on The Seminar, I did a web search and found a number of items referencing Kahn's work, including this presentation that nicely summarizes his work and puts it in a modern context. https://www.wcu.edu/WebFiles/PDFs/FYSSeminar_-_What_Makes_A_Seminar_Unique_-_JHabel.pdf

There are references toward the end of this deck, including a pointer to a PDF containing Kahn's original essay, The Seminar.

--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Edited

Attached below is a PDF containing a printout of an email newsletter from The Ready I just received this morning that I'd add as another resource related to the Conversational Leadership topic.

Here's the opening quote from this week's newsletter:

We live in unprecedented times. We’re seeing our clients, friends, and acquaintances across the world grapple with a fundamental disruption to their organizational operating systems. For many, this means nearly overnight shifting to a primarily remote work culture (and everything that entails) as well as throwing away the yearly plan that was probably only recently codified. Instead, organizations are needing to move quickly, make decisions with incomplete information, and generally operate in unfamiliar yet necessary ways to survive.

For us, it’s validation that the work we’ve been doing for the past four and a half years is incredibly necessary. Evolutionary organizations with adaptive operating systems are fundamentally designed to function — and even thrive — in situations where traditional bureaucracies fail. An OS that doesn't optimize for transparency, autonomy, or people positivity is not an OS that can handle shocks like the one we're currently experiencing. Some of these newly perceived OS cracks can and will be repaired or mitigated along the way. Others, however, will shine a light on the need for a fundamental rethinking of how organizations should function.

Good info, links to podcasts, free signup.

-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

All of my previous SIKM Posts

TO: SIKM Leaders Community

Today we held our 175th monthly call.
Here are the details.

Thanks to John and David for presenting, to Tom Short, Diana Russo, Merrill Anne Jordan, Andrew Muras, Dan Ranta, and Kate Pugh for participating in the conversation, and to those who attended. Please continue the discussion here by replying to this thread.

Here is the group chat transcript:

[3/17/2020 11:16:12 AM] David Gurteen: https://conversational-leadership.net/introduction-to-conversational-leadership/

[3/17/2020 11:18:18 AM] David Gurteen: https://conversational-leadership.net/communityship/

[3/17/2020 11:21:47 AM] Tom Short: "useful self"??

[3/17/2020 11:25:31 AM] Merrill Anne Jordan: Or "resources" for that matter. We are not resources, we are people

[3/17/2020 11:27:48 AM] David Gurteen: "use of self"

[3/17/2020 11:29:41 AM] John: "use of self" also known as "self as instrument"

[3/17/2020 11:29:41 AM] John: Dr. Mee-Yan Cheung-Judge has a lot there

 [3/17/2020 11:42:08 AM] Katrina Pugh: Catherine Turco (MIT Sloan) talks about the Conversational Firm. It's many layered, and involves exposing data with humility (and confidentiality) to the larger firm with the readiness to get both productive and messy response

[3/17/2020 11:44:45 AM] Merrill Anne Jordan: It's contextual

[3/17/2020 11:45:49 AM] Tom Short: sounds descriptive, Kate, as opposed to prescriptive.

[3/17/2020 11:46:41 AM] John: conversational firm, yup...

[3/17/2020 11:46:44 AM] Tom Short: culture-based variables like level of openness and trust are difficult to change, sometimes even if led by leadership.

[3/17/2020 11:46:48 AM] Katrina Pugh: Yes - Many layered. You can just put ugly, messy data out there without the psychological safety: "I want to hear your words"

[3/17/2020 11:46:51 AM] John: and conversational intelligence is another one

[3/17/2020 11:46:51 AM] John: Talk, Inc.: How Trusted Leaders Use Conversation to Power their Organizations is one of David's fav books on it

[3/17/2020 11:48:09 AM] Tom Short: closest thing to this I've heard about might be various tries at Holocracy

[3/17/2020 11:51:57 AM] John: yup, holocracy could be like an org design/structure perspective...

[3/17/2020 11:53:42 AM] Stan: From The conversation: A short manifesto about the future of online interaction by Seth Godin: Let’s have a conversation instead.

A conversation involves listening and talking. A conversation involves a perception of openness and access and humanity on both sides.

People hate meetings but they don’t hate conversations.

[3/17/2020 11:54:03 AM] Tom Short: also, Google's research on what makes effective teams, whereby they concluded that the best teams weren't a function of the talent of the individual members. The best teams had established trust and a safe space for all the members to contribute.

[3/17/2020 11:54:26 AM] John: "Are we in a meeting, or are we being met?"

[3/17/2020 11:54:26 AM] John: from Katherine Woods

[3/17/2020 11:58:11 AM] Tom Short: reminds me of an article by Michael Kahn, 1971, called The Seminar.

[3/17/2020 12:00:50 PM] Eve Porter-Zuckerman: wonderful conversation - spending a lot of time now prompting and coaching leaders on participating in virtual conversations now. would welcome resources on this as well

[3/17/2020 12:00:54 PM] John: thanks all for dialing in :)

[3/17/2020 12:00:54 PM] John: yup, hi Eve, lot of interest and great work in virtual conversations! :)

[3/17/2020 12:01:46 PM] Merrill Anne Jordan: thanks so much to David and John, I have to hop off for another meeting. Please speaking with you all today! Stay healthy everyone!

[3/17/2020 12:01:47 PM] John: check out Judy Rees

 [3/17/2020 12:02:51 PM] Eve Porter-Zuckerman: thanks!

[3/17/2020 12:03:12 PM] Katrina Pugh: Great discussion! Let's keep it going!

[3/17/2020 12:03:22 PM] John: thanks all!

[3/17/2020 12:03:25 PM] Beto do Valle: Good insights, thank you.

[3/17/2020 12:03:27 PM] Grazyna Wykowska: Thanks a lot!

Guy St. Clair

Thanks, Tom.

Good reference to Michael Kahn's ideas about The Seminar.

The slides are fun (helps us not get too serious about all this).

And the essay itself is good, especially the list of the four types of seminars.

So we can certainly use these ideas in the knowledge-focused work we're trying to do.

And those of us who teach will like playing with these (especially the barn-raising – can't wait to get to that!).

Guy St. Clair
Lecturer in Knowledge Services
Business Certification and Post-Baccalaureate Studies Programs
olumbia University in the City of New York
School of Professional Studies

Good to hear, Guy - thanks. As I read through this again, it occurred to me that the four types he presents aren't necessarily prescriptive. Particularly the last two, barn raising and house tour. Either of them seem to me to be perfectly valid depending on the nature of the conversation. I think fitness for purpose is important, which means understanding intent and then determining which tool is best suited for the job. (cf, Vroom and Yetton decision hierarchy - sometimes an autocratic decision is perfectly reasonable or even expected. E.g., when the plane is going down with both engines out, it is not the time for the captain to go back and poll the passengers about what they think should be done next).

-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

All of my previous SIKM Posts

John Hovell

Thanks Tom and everyone, much appreciated! So many great resources out there I’m not even sure where to start 😊