KM in disaster management #COVID-19

Eli Miron

Hi All,

I want to expose my students to use cases of KM in disaster management and handling of emergency situations.

I would much appreciate receiving publications on the subject or links to online references.

Thanks,

Eli Miron

Eli

Check out the Wildland Fire Lessons Learned Center, a previous client of mine.  Their website has much content related to their work and experience that you may find useful.

Best

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

I want to expose my students to use cases of KM in disaster management and handling of emergency situations.

I would much appreciate receiving publications on the subject or links to online references.

Thanks,

Eli Miron

Two that I'm familiar with, and that are well-researched in the KM community, are the Wildland Fire Service and the US Army's Center for Army Lessons Learned (the latter being the inspiration for the former).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildland_Fire_Lessons_Learned_Center
https://www.army.mil/standto/archive_2017-06-22/

Both are focused on creating and maintaining a culture of continuous learning, and constantly improving their respective organizations' ability to quickly integrate lessons learned from failures that resulted in injury or loss of life so as to prevent similar failures from happening again. This became a critical capability for the US Army during the Gulf War when IED attacks were frequent and devastating.

There are less obvious sources of inspiration on this topic as well.
Sense and Respond theory and practice provide an interesting metaphor that found its way from its origins in control theory to management thinking about how to build an adaptive enterprise.

A great case example of what this looks like in action comes from the world of social media marketing, where the marketers behind Oreo cookies pulled off a marketing coup with a quick response to a blackout during the Superbowl. Fun stuff. https://www.wired.com/2013/02/oreo-twitter-super-bowl/
What lessons can be learned from this, in terms of disaster preparedness and KM? How could this be applied to other functional areas and contexts? Where's the KM in it?

Good luck - let us know how it goes!
Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Eli Miron

THANKS

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

I want to expose my students to use cases of KM in disaster management and handling of emergency situations.

I would much appreciate receiving publications on the subject or links to online references.

Thanks,

Eli Miron

Eli Miron

Thanks.
It will take some time till I can report since my plan is to give it to the students in some form of homework

[...]

Eric Herberholz

I recall Bill Ives speaking at a global KM telecon run by Stan Garfield. Bill mentioned wiki use during Katrina hurricane for people separated by the disaster, to locate each other.

Kind Regards,
Eric Herberholz - www.linkedin.com/in/herberholz | about.me/ericherberholz
Contact Info:
(916) 300-7569  erich13@...
Skype ID: ericherberholztwitter.com/@erich13
P.S. Please email with any questions or concerns.
My Timezone is US/Pacific http://bit.ly/PST8PDT

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 11:24 AM Eli Miron <emiron@...> wrote:

[...]

Stan Garfield

Valdis Krebs

Tracking what we know about a spreading disease… visualization helps.

Valdis

Valdis Krebs
Orgnet, LLC
@orgnet

Eli Miron

THanks

Tracking what we know about a spreading disease… visualization helps.

Valdis

Valdis Krebs

Orgnet, LLC

@orgnet

Murray Jennex

I did a paper with one of my students in 2006 that investigated KM and Hurricane Katrina including doing a fairly detailed analysis of PeopleFinder and ShelterFinder.  I've attached the paper for anyone interested.  It is an academic research paper so you can probably ignore the first couple of pages after the introduction until you get to the analysis section....murray jennex

[...]

I actually have many materials on this topic as it has been a research topic of mine for 20 years.  I've attached some here:

a report on the massive exercise 24 social media/km crisis response exercise
a keynote presentation made at ISCRAM 2007 in Harbin, China on KM and emergency response
a presentation on KM and emergency response I use in my classes
a paper on using KM to guide social media application to emergency response

let me know if you have any particular needs, I'm the editor in chief of the International Journal of Knowledge Management and until 2 months ago of the International Journal of Crisis Response and Management.

I'm still looking as I have a couple more articles on KM and crisis response but didn't see the files yet....murray jennex

I want to expose my students to use cases of KM in disaster management and handling of emergency situations.

I would much appreciate receiving publications on the subject or links to online references.

Thanks,

Eli Miron

Murray Jennex

I sent 4 more articles but on one email and I don't think they went through, so will send one at a time:

the attached is a keynote presentation I made at ISCRAM in Harbin, China in 2007

[...]

this is a public consumption article on the largest social media/crisis response exercise ever held (it was guided by KM)

[...]

this is an article on using KM to guide social media application in crisis response

[...]

this is a general presentation I use in my classes on KM and crisis response

I have much more material, I'm the editor in chief of the International Journal of Knowledge Management and until a month ago of the International Journal of Crisis Response and Management, let me know if there are any areas you are looking for and I'm happy to check on it.  Also, this has been a research area of mine for 20 years so I do have more papers, just need to find the files

[...]

Christoph Voegeli

Dear Eli

You may be interested to read about governance of crisis knowledge in tourism.

Rgds

Chris

On Saturday, March 21, 2020, 04:38:26 AM GMT+7, Murray Jennex via Groups.Io <murphjen@...> wrote:

[...]

Daan Boom

Reading the article in the NYT (link attached) I conclude that it is not the knowledge but the bureaucracies that hampers action and decision making. And it is not only bureaucracies if government but also of corporations if you look into the Boeing Max and Volkswagen gate disasters. It is the inept of senior people in a line of command structure that fails to act on the information and knowledge available. You can have all the good information systems in place but if you ignore the information it falls flat.

NYT: Before Virus Outbreak, a Cascade of Warnings Went Unheeded
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-outbreak.html?referringSource=articleShare

Daan Boom

On Mar 21, 2020, at 05:19, Murray Jennex via Groups.Io <murphjen@...> wrote:

[...]

<Bressler_Jennex_Frost_TWFRMarApr2012_Exercise 24.pdf><Jennex_IJISCRAM_social_media_KM_2011_published.pdf><Jennex_ISCRAM_China_2007.ppt><Jennex_KM_and_Emergency_Response_r1.ppt>