Topics

KM in disaster management #covid-19 -- failure theme for KMWorld? #COVID-19

Jane Dysart

Tom, I love this!

Can we look at a possible discussion/conversation at KMWorld, Nov 16-19 in DC?

We have extended our call for speaker to the April 26, https://www.kmworld.com/Conference/2020/CallForSpeakers.aspx

Jane

Jane Dysart, Program Director, KMWorld 2020

http://www.kmworld.com/Conference/2020/

Curator of Curiosity & Partner

Dysart & Jones Associates

jane@...

Twitter & Skype  jdysart

From: SIKM@groups.io [mailto:SIKM@groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Short
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 4:31 PM
To: SIKM@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] KM in disaster management #covid-19

Here's a nice little summary of a particular type of failure known as cascading failure. These are failures due in part to the chaotic nature of complex systems. Lots of well-known examples. https://qz.com/emails/quartz-obsession/1831111/

Might make for an interesting discussion on KM, and what KM has to offer by way of prevention or mitigation of these types of failures (I haven't given it any thought myself, and nothing comes to mind). Might be a fun exploration. 
--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
Image removed by sender.
+1 415 300 7457

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Thanks, Jane. Don’t see why not. What did you have in mind? (I don’t have anything prepared on this topic; and I wasn’t the thread starter for it). 
thanks.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

+1 415 300 7457

Anthony Rhem

Jane, Tom

For KM World maybe we can get a panel discussion on this topic.

I wrote a chapter in my latest book Knowledge Management in Practice, (2016) titled: “Sound the Alarm! - KM in Emergency and Disaster Preparedness” which details specific KM Strategy to address disaster preparedness. I would welcome being a part of the panel and if you want a copy of this chapter please let me know.

All the best, be healthy and Safe!

Tony

Dr. Anthony J. Rhem, PhD.

CEO/Principal Consultant

A.J. Rhem & Associates, Inc.

500 N. Michigan Ave Suite 600

Chicago, Illinois 60611

Phone: 312-396-4024

Cell: 312-696-9705

From: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Short
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: [SIKM] KM in disaster management #covid-19 -- failure theme for KMWorld?

Thanks, Jane. Don’t see why not. What did you have in mind? (I don’t have anything prepared on this topic; and I wasn’t the thread starter for it). 
thanks.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

+1 415 300 7457

Jane Dysart

Sounds great to me.  You are on my list Tony.  Thx!

Any others want to join the panel discussion?

jane

From: SIKM@groups.io [mailto:SIKM@groups.io] On Behalf Of Anthony Rhem
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:10 PM
Subject: Re: [SIKM] KM in disaster management #covid-19 -- failure theme for KMWorld?

Jane, Tom

I wrote a chapter in my latest book Knowledge Management in Practice, (2016) titled: “Sound the Alarm! - KM in Emergency and Disaster Preparedness” which details specific KM Strategy to address disaster preparedness. I would welcome being a part of the panel and if you want a copy of this chapter please let me know.

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

thanks.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
Image removed by sender.
+1 415 300 7457

Eli Miron

Hi Anthony,

I would appreciate receiving a copy of the chapter.

Thanks for your generosity

Eli

From: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io> On Behalf Of Anthony Rhem
Sent: Friday, April 3, 2020 4:10 AM

Jane, Tom

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

thanks.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
התמונה הוסרה על-ידי השולח.
+1 415 300 7457

Yes, a panel discussion sounds like a great idea. Perhaps that could be primed by bringing in disaster case studies from various realms - military, engineering (Kansas City hotel skywalk collapse, anyone?), political, social. I’d be interested in participating. 
--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

+1 415 300 7457

Good morning,
The cascading failure problem of our public health response was recently written about by Zeynep Tufecki in the Atlantic Monthly - you might find it of relevance to the conversation.

As Tufecki notes, the pandemic is taking place along with our annual flu season.   We here in the San Francisco Bay Area live atop two massive faults in the earth's crust.
What are cascading failures that would arise from an earthquake happening in a pandemic?   The day Gavin Newsom locked down our six counties, I thought about the challenges of that scenario.
Catherine

CATHERINE SHINNERS

DIGITAL WORKPLACE for Business Transformation

650.704-3889 mercedgroup.com Silicon Valley USA   

catherineshinners@...

digital workplace | communications  |  knowledge management | community management | Prosci certified change professional

Dennis Pearce

Clearly, it would be disastrous to have simultaneous catastrophes whose counter-measures were at odds with each other.  For example, some large natural disaster (earthquake, hurricane, etc.) that required people to shelter together in cramped quarters at the same time that a pandemic was requiring them to shelter apart.

I think one could argue that the size and complexity of the disaster(s) is proportional to the speed at which good decisions and their subsequent actions have to be taken, meaning that these scenarios have to be thought about and planned for in advance.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 11:50 AM Catherine Shinners <catherineshinners@...> wrote:
Good morning,
The cascading failure problem of our public health response was recently written about by Zeynep Tufecki in the Atlantic Monthly - you might find it of relevance to the conversation.

As Tufecki notes, the pandemic is taking place along with our annual flu season.   We here in the San Francisco Bay Area live atop two massive faults in the earth's crust.
What are cascading failures that would arise from an earthquake happening in a pandemic?   The day Gavin Newsom locked down our six counties, I thought about the challenges of that scenario.
Catherine

CATHERINE SHINNERS

catherineshinners@...

digital workplace | communications  |  knowledge management | community management | Prosci certified change professional

Joel Muzard

Thanks Catherine,
Excellent article !

Joel

Le 3 avr. 2020 à 11:49, Catherine Shinners <catherineshinners@...> a écrit :

Good morning,

Catherine

CATHERINE SHINNERS

Anthony Rhem

As promised attach is a copy of my chapter on KM in Emergency and Disaster Preparedness.

In my latest book “Knowledge Management in Practice”, I wrote a chapter on Knowledge Management in Emergency and Disaster Preparedness (see attached). I began that chapter stating “During a time of crisis, (such as national disasters, pandemics, acts of terrorism) relevant information is usually not received by the Individuals or Group of Individuals that need it the most. For instance, many times First Responders are not able to respond quickly and effectively without the right information during a crisis situation. The lack of timely and correct information increases level of confusion, resulting in their ineffectiveness that may cause a loss of life.”

This chapter of my book focuses on First responders (i.e. Police, Fire, and Emergency Medical Teams), who many times are not able to respond quickly and effectively in an emergency situation. This causes the increase probability of the seriously injured or sick not receiving care in a timely fashion. This has led to lose of life in situations where one's life could have been saved. This chapter was a direct response to the responsiveness during hurricane Katrina and Rita, which exposed a problem in effectively and efficiently enabling First Responders in their effort to prepare, respond and provide recovery during an emergency and/or crisis situation.

As a nation and the world, we are fighting the COVID-19 pandemic and searching for consistent reliable information and knowledge about this virus. Executing a consistent knowledge management plan with mechanisms to disseminate and share consistent knowledge to the public and first responders is a lesson learned for how our nation and the world has and will handle this pandemic now and in the future.

I hope you can take some nuggets from this chapter and welcome your feedback.

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

From: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jane Dysart
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 11:48 PM

jane

Jane, Tom

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

thanks.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
Image removed by sender.
+1 415 300 7457

T J Elliott

Anthony, 
This is really great stuff. Everyone may be interested in this Twitter thread from the Washington Post health reporter Yasmeen Abutaleb because it confirms your finding in a very specific fashion.
See

Peace,
T.J.

“A man may do an immense deal of good, if he does not care who gets the credit for it."
Fr. William Strickland, SJ

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020, 3:25 PM Anthony Rhem <tonyr@...> wrote:

As promised attach is a copy of my chapter on KM in Emergency and Disaster Preparedness.

In my latest book “Knowledge Management in Practice”, I wrote a chapter on Knowledge Management in Emergency and Disaster Preparedness (see attached). I began that chapter stating “During a time of crisis, (such as national disasters, pandemics, acts of terrorism) relevant information is usually not received by the Individuals or Group of Individuals that need it the most. For instance, many times First Responders are not able to respond quickly and effectively without the right information during a crisis situation. The lack of timely and correct information increases level of confusion, resulting in their ineffectiveness that may cause a loss of life.”

This chapter of my book focuses on First responders (i.e. Police, Fire, and Emergency Medical Teams), who many times are not able to respond quickly and effectively in an emergency situation. This causes the increase probability of the seriously injured or sick not receiving care in a timely fashion. This has led to lose of life in situations where one's life could have been saved. This chapter was a direct response to the responsiveness during hurricane Katrina and Rita, which exposed a problem in effectively and efficiently enabling First Responders in their effort to prepare, respond and provide recovery during an emergency and/or crisis situation.

As a nation and the world, we are fighting the COVID-19 pandemic and searching for consistent reliable information and knowledge about this virus. Executing a consistent knowledge management plan with mechanisms to disseminate and share consistent knowledge to the public and first responders is a lesson learned for how our nation and the world has and will handle this pandemic now and in the future.

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

jane

Jane, Tom

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

thanks.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

+1 415 300 7457

Anthony Rhem

Thanks T.J., I really appreciate the feedback and the link to the twitter thread.

Tony

From: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io> On Behalf Of T J Elliott
Sent: Saturday, April 4, 2020 3:43 PM

Anthony, 

This is really great stuff. Everyone may be interested in this Twitter thread from the Washington Post health reporter Yasmeen Abutaleb because it confirms your finding in a very specific fashion.

See

Peace,
T.J.

“A man may do an immense deal of good, if he does not care who gets the credit for it."
Fr. William Strickland, SJ

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020, 3:25 PM Anthony Rhem <tonyr@...> wrote:

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

jane

Jane, Tom

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

thanks.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

+1 415 300 7457

Murray Jennex

Tony, another lesson we learned from Katrina and Rita and other disasters in the 2000s is that the true first responders are the people there at the time of the crisis.  What we call first responders may be there but they may not in which case they are second responders.  The advent of states having disaster preparedness webpages and such, emergency warnings via cell, disaster apps on cells, as well as they advent of large scale disaster drills that included locals are all a fallout of this lesson. So while I agree on a focus for first responders, I am an even bigger fan of training the population in basic disaster response.  I've attached my keynote speech in China on KM in crisis response for everyone's use (I've posted other work on this topic already)....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Apr 4, 2020 12:25 pm

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant
Chicago, Illinois 60611

jane

Jane, Tom

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant
Chicago, Illinois 60611

thanks.

--
-Tom
--
Tom Short Consulting
TSC
Image removed by sender.
+1 415 300 7457

Eli Miron

Ushahidi    https://bit.ly/3bXXF29     was developed to provide a convenient platform for  communicating with first responders.

From: SIKM@groups.io <SIKM@groups.io> On Behalf Of Murray Jennex via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, April 5, 2020 2:28 AM
To: tonyr@...; SIKM@groups.io

Tony, another lesson we learned from Katrina and Rita and other disasters in the 2000s is that the true first responders are the people there at the time of the crisis.  What we call first responders may be there but they may not in which case they are second responders.  The advent of states having disaster preparedness webpages and such, emergency warnings via cell, disaster apps on cells, as well as they advent of large scale disaster drills that included locals are all a fallout of this lesson. So while I agree on a focus for first responders, I am an even bigger fan of training the population in basic disaster response.  I've attached my keynote speech in China on KM in crisis response for everyone's use (I've posted other work on this topic already)....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Apr 4, 2020 12:25 pm

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

jane

Jane, Tom

Tony

CEO/Principal Consultant

Chicago, Illinois 60611

thanks.

--
-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
Image removed by sender.
+1 415 300 7457