Invitation: Cortex from the KM Perspective (4/30 9 ET) #webinar

Katrina Pugh

Hello, SIKM community:

Please join the SIKM Boston chapter as we host a “KM-ish” discussion about Microsoft Cortex.

4/30 9AM - 10:00 AM EST

“Cortex from the KM Perspective” (working title)

SIKM Boston is pleased to welcome our very own alum, Chris McNulty, Director of Product Marketing for SharePoint, Microsoft 365, and Project Cortex at Microsoft (bio below). Chris will be discussing Microsoft's new Knowledge Management product, Project Cortex, from the perspective of the knowledge leader. Come discuss the considerations for taxonomy, term sets (controlled vocabulary), topic governance and experience management. We’ll explore the general improvements to enterprise findability as Cortex uses the O365 Graph, and how our SIKM Boston community can help contribute to Cortex‘s evolution.

Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

+1 978-494-6402   United States, Lowell (Toll)

Conference ID: 613 180 427#

Local numbers | Reset PIN | Learn more about Teams | Meeting options

Note: SIKM Boston community, an 11-year old entity, has its monthly meeting 8-9 AM ET. If you would like to Join the SIKM Boston chapter, please feel free to request here: http://sikmBoston.pbworks.com

Chris McNulty, Director of Product Marketing, Microsoft

Chris McNulty is Director of Product Marketing for SharePoint, Microsoft 365 and Project Cortex at Microsoft.  Chris’s experience as CTO includes companies including Dell Software and Quest.  He was first recognized as a SharePoint MVP in 2013, and led the consulting practice at Knowledge Management Associates, a US based Microsoft Gold Partner.

A frequent speaker at events around the globe, Chris is the author of the “SharePoint 2013 Consultant’s Handbook” among other works.  Chris holds an MBA from Boston College in Investment Management and has over twenty years’ experience in financial services technology with John Hancock, State Street, GMO and Santander.  He blogs at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com

LinkedIn profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/cmcnulty/ )

Katrina Pugh
AlignConsulting | Collaboration, Analytics and Strategy
Columbia University | Information and Knowledge Strategy Master of Science Program

Thanks Katrina. That’s 0600 on the West Coast and will try to make this.

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

[...]

Heather Fox

Katrina,

Will you have a recording available for this very interesting session, for those of us not available to join your session on Thursday? I have been participating in Chris’s Office Hours sessions, but I’d love to catch this SIKM discussion/presentation of Project Cortex.

Best, Heather

Heather J. Fox

heather@...

+1 302 287 0240

[...]

Hello, Heather et al
Yes, this will be recorded. Apologies to all if the time is early. We invited Chris to our standing monthly SIKM Boston meeting.
Thanks
Kate

[...]

<image001.jpg>

[...]

Stan Garfield

Kate can post a link to the recording in this thread, so there is no need to reply to ask to be added to a distribution list for it.

Thanks, Kate!

Katrina Pugh

Edited

Hello, SIKM Community.

Thank you to all of you who participated Chris McNulty’s Cortex introduction, hosted by SIKM Boston Chapter. Here is the link to the recording on our new SIKM Boston YouTube channel:

We had lots of good questions about Cortex - for example, how it integrates with the MS Graph and other sources, how the KM’er can scope, set permissions, and manage subscriptions. There is a lot here in the recording, so I recommend you also go to the Project Cortex overview on Microsoft.

These were the questions Chris answered from the chat:

1. Why do we as KM'ers need this?
2. Can your search scope go outside of O365 (e.g., WWW, other databases, Powerpoint files, audio/video)?
3. Can you search (and tag) MS Teams posts?
4. What's the licensing (e3, e5)?
5. What's the approach to information protection, security,, HIPPA, GDPR?
6. Can individuals see only certain content?
7. Can individuals personalize/subscribe to certain content (opt in or subscription)?
8. Who can edit the topic cards?
9. Can you say you don't want to be associated with a topic?
10. Can topics trend up and down (infer the topics, like "too big to fail")?
11. Can you do the same for individuals (emerging leader or group of leaders/page or site)?
12. Can the admin manipulate the emphasis of different “sources of truth”?
13. What languages are coming?

Thanks goes to Chris for his great presentation, to Mike Gilronan for organizing, and Andrea Bracken for managing the Teams meeting, recording and YouTube channel.

Thanks
Kate Pugh

On Apr 29, 2020, at 1:21 PM, Stan Garfield <stangarfield@...> wrote:

Kate can post a link to the recording in this thread, so there is no need to reply to ask to be added to a distribution list for it.

Thanks, Kate!

Tammy Bearden

Thank you, Kate, for sharing the playback! I'd encourage everyone to listen to it. Having heard Chris a few times now, I greatly appreciate his KMer-directed talk far better than all previous talks.

Thankful that Microsoft is catching up and finally offering knowledge solutions that also incorporate the people and process needs after KM practitioners have been working on people profiles, metadata, COPs, and CMS for 3 decades.

It has puzzled me why solid, value-added disciplines (like KM)

take so long to get actionable attention. Another institutionalized example of KM finally taken seriously is with the Project Management Institute, who officially incorporated KM into their PMBOK in 2017, 26 years after Nonaka introduced the concept of KM as a valuable discipline. I hosted a workshop on that specific session with our local PMI chapter for professional development days in October because I want others to benefit from the value of applying KM principles.

Long live KM!

Jamie Park

Edited

Hi Katrina,
Has this already been done?

If so are there any recordings or slides I can refer back to?

Many thanks
Jamie

Jamie, the recording is available. See https://groups.io/g/SIKM/message/7466