Topics

SharePoint to Microsoft 365 migration #discussion-starter

Joanna Dunne

Hi all
We currently use sharepoint 2013 to host knowledge content, but are starting on a project to migrate to Sharepoint online and integrate use of Microsoft teams and workplace.
Any advice / guidance from anyone who has done this would be most welcome.
Jo

T J Elliott

Hi Joanna,
The most significant problem that we faced and it may just have been peculiar to our situation was the number of links that did not transfer accurately. Therefore, we had so many pages in our overall document libraries, blogs, etc We are the links became defunct. It may be that Microsoft does a better job now of helping folks with this migration, but it took a lot of work for us to go back and maybe solve 80% of the problems. Even in my last days there in January years after the migration I would still occasionally come across a dead link. On the other hand, SharePoint online did have many advantages. Good luck!

Peace,
T.J.

"Doubt is unpleasant, but certainty is ridiculous' Voltaire

On Mon, May 4, 2020, 7:49 AM Joanna Dunne via groups.io <joannadunne45=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all
We currently use sharepoint 2013 to host knowledge content, but are starting on a project to migrate to Sharepoint online and integrate use of Microsoft teams and workplace.
Any advice / guidance from anyone who has done this would be most welcome.
Jo

Robert L. Bogue

We have solved the broken link problem by putting a redirector on the old SharePoint URL and having it manage the redirection since it’s impossible to find all of the old links that people have in various documents or saved on their machines.

-------------------

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Are you burned out?  https://ExtinguishBurnout.com can help you get out of it.

[...]

Dan Ranta

Joanna - the best guidance I can provide is to ensure you have defined the governance for how your users will be using the site constructs - Teams and Workplace.  Will you have communities, will you still have other sites?  How will those sites (the different varieties) be utilized?  Will you have Yammer Groups?  Governance is shared accountability (at a high level) and despite the fact that all your users will have the best of intentions, you must define for them what each of your site constructs is and how and when to use each.  Especially if you expect any individual to be able to spawn a site.  What I have experienced, is that without such governance, after several months, you will be in a position where you will have overlapping chaos and in a world of collaborative overload, that's hard to come back from that issue.  Now, prior to your migration, you have the opportunity to ensure your governance is in place and you can communicate this to all your stakeholders - including leaders in learning, IT, HR, the business, etc.  All the technical stuff (links, etc.) - you will work that out, as TJ and Robert have alluded to here.

Dan

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 5:49 AM Joanna Dunne via groups.io <joannadunne45=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all
We currently use sharepoint 2013 to host knowledge content, but are starting on a project to migrate to Sharepoint online and integrate use of Microsoft teams and workplace.
Any advice / guidance from anyone who has done this would be most welcome.
Jo

T J Elliott

Robert, it's great that you provide that specific advice, and we did do that although I think the redirectors are better now than they were with the first wave of migration. The problem was with our search function: they kept on taking people to specific pages and those specific Pages no longer existed. Thus, the value of the search function deteriorated greatly. what helped was a concerted effort to look at the most frequent searches, which SharePoint makes easy through its Analytics, and then seek to repair those instances.

Peace,
T.J. Elliott
609 306-4129
“The happy man in this life needs friends. … He does good to them, he delights in seeing them do good, and in turn they help him and do good to him.”

St. Thomas Aquinas

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 10:12 AM Robert L. Bogue <rbogue@...> wrote:

[...]

TJ –

So, we did a redirector that translated the pattern.  In our case, there weren’t that much that was reorganized.  It was a handful of things so we could write a few RegEx expressions and redirect them.  So they could hit any link on the old server and we’d map where we think we put the document.  If it matched they didn’t realize that it wasn’t where they asked for it (though we told the browser it was a permanent redirect)  If we didn’t match any of our patterns we sent them to a generic page indicating that we didn’t know where their document went.  (In slightly better language.)

Rob

-------------------

[...]

Joanna,

Migration is always a great opportunity to do 'content hygiene' , identify obsolete content and transfer the most relevant documentation. it's also an opportunity to engage respective owners and complete any missing meta-data for later search and discoverability.

hope this was helpful.

Thank you
Rachad

T J Elliott

Robert, where were you in 2015 when i was doing this?

:-)

Excellent advice for Joanna! Well done!!!

Hi.

If you are broadening from SharePoint to the full O365 capabilities, you might consider careful adoption and engagement programs along with the guidance and governance that Dan Ranta mentioned.

I have noticed in projects I've seen that energy towards enablement and training often drops off quickly after "rollout" leaving a gap in people's understanding of the different contexts for using the capabilities .    Developing good use case scenarios can be helpful.   Sustained adoption support is vital

Here are some questions or use cases that I've seen omitted or not addressed well.
  • When should we use Teams, when is Yammer a good idea?
  • How can we integrate various tools for different contexts?
  • Should we use Yammer for Corporate Communications? Teams for teamwork, 1:1 messaging,?
  • Would SharePoint with Yammer integration be good for Communities of Practice?
Etc.

Without this kind of explicit use case development and sustained adoption support, the capabilities may be frequently misapplied leading to user frustration and subsequently languishing.   Rollout is a technology project concept.  Sustained enablement applied to use cases and workflows is a separate concept.

Recent links
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3538811/defense-dept-rolls-out-microsoft-teams-to-millions-of-remote-workers.html?

https://mspoweruser.com/full-yammer-experience-microsoft-teams/

CATHERINE SHINNERS

DIGITAL WORKPLACE for Business Transformation

650.704-3889 mercedgroup.com Silicon Valley USA

catherineshinners@...

digital workplace | communications  |  knowledge management | community management | Prosci certified change professional

Joanna Dunne

Thanks so much for all the great advice - will certainly take it all on board. Jo

Patrick Lambe

Just to supplement to this great thread, the move is going to be a big change for your user communities, especially in now providing multiple options for where documents can be created and found, compared to SP2013. This IS going to produce confusion and information scatter, notwithstanding careful governance planning, migration planning and the technical fixes that Robert mentioned. This doesn’t really add anything new to the contributions, just emphasises their importance, for having great clarity upfront, and patience and persistence in working with the user communities over the medium to longer term to reshape habituated practices.

Patrick Lambe
Partner
+65 62210383

twitter: @plambesg

Knowledge mapping made easy: www.aithinsoftware.com

On 5 May 2020, at 12:53 AM, Catherine Shinners <catherineshinners@...> wrote:

[...]

At the risk of being redundant, while I have technical tricks up my sleeve, I fully concur with what others including Patrick has said.  The challenge is getting to clarity on the behaviors that you want people to have and then communicating the desired behaviors.

Simple questions occur like should I make a new team or a new channel?  I’ve attempted to answer some of those questions with a whitepaper “How Many Teams, Sites, Libraries, and Folders?” which you can get at https://thorprojects.com/connect/gifts/white-papers/how-many-teams-sites-libraries-and-folders/  I’ve not publicly announced the whitepaper yet but it will be launched this month.  (I just forced the page public so folks here could get it if they want, but it’s not linked from anywhere on the site yet.)

Anything that you can do to make what you want clearer will be helpful.

Rob

[...]

Image removed by sender.

CATHERINE SHINNERS

DIGITAL WORKPLACE for Business Transformation

650.704-3889 mercedgroup.com Silicon Valley USA

Image removed by sender.Image removed by sender.