Topics

KM best practice in professional services #proven-practice #knowledge-retention

Cristina Whelan

Hi All

I'm looking for some recent KM best practice approaches, ideally in the professional services field, but not exclusively. I found the Knowledge Management Excellence award by APQC and was trying to see if there are any other publications around on the topic to complement that.

Any pointers?

Thank you in advance!
Cristina.

Cristina Whelan

M&BD Special Projects Senior Manager, Marketing and Business Development

Grant Thornton UK LLP

Edited

Hey Cristina

In my opinion, and much deeper and more comprehensive from a practical perspective than APQC was the no longer existent and original (Most Admired Knowledge Enterprise) MAKE awards framework. I believe it provides some excellent insight that may help you. The framework applied globally and regionally.  I incorporated many of these performance dimensions into my evolving client consulting practice started after leaving a company where I was CKO scored in the top 20 North America MAKE awards in 2007, 2008, and 2009. I saw the value and it is still meaningful today , focused on creating value from knowledge.

Best

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

I'm looking for some recent KM best practice approaches, ideally in the professional services field, but not exclusively. I found the Knowledge Management Excellence award by APQC and was trying to see if there are any other publications around on the topic to complement that.

Any pointers?

Thank you in advance!
Cristina.

Cristina Whelan

M&BD Special Projects Senior Manager, Marketing and Business Development

Grant Thornton UK LLP

Stephen Bounds

Hi Cristina,

For a start, I would suggest looking at ISO 30401 to guide your approach. RealKM published a mandatory requirements implementation guide for ISO 30401 shortly after publication. For something a little more guided, I would suggest looking into:

Cheers,
Stephen.
====================================
Stephen Bounds
Executive, Information Management
Cordelta
E: stephen.bounds@...
M: 0401 829 096
====================================
On 2/06/2020 1:18 am, Cristina Whelan wrote:

Hi All

I'm looking for some recent KM best practice approaches, ideally in the professional services field, but not exclusively. I found the Knowledge Management Excellence award by APQC and was trying to see if there are any other publications around on the topic to complement that.

Any pointers?

Thank you in advance!
Cristina.

Cristina Whelan

M&BD Special Projects Senior Manager, Marketing and Business Development

Grant Thornton UK LLP

Christopher Parsons

Edited

Hi Cristina,

One of the book I would recommend is "The Art of Managing Professional Services" by Maureen Broderick. There are dedicated sections on KM in there, including some stories about Grant Thornton. While it is from 2010, I still that that the main points advanced by the author about both Professional Services and KM in Professional Services are true.

Our company is 100% focused on KM in Architecture and Engineering firms. While the terminology and business is different, I think there is enough similarity between Professional Services that you might enjoy the content on our site. We have a talk archive from our annual KM conference, a book list, and a periodic table of common KM program elements for Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC)  that breaks down the way we look at KM our the industry. I have attached the periodic table. You can watch a short talk explaining it here

I hope that helps.

Best,
Chris

Cristina Whelan

Thank you all for your suggestions. All very helpful.

If you work in professional services, what you think is the KM programme that worked best in your organisation?

I feel like there is so much that can be done if you look at KM holistically, but funnily enough, in a knowledge organisation there seems to be a reticence in documenting and sharing knowledge for fear of discouraging people from listening to the client and advising a bespoke solution to their needs
.

Has anyone else faced the same challenge before?

Cristina.

Cristina Whelan

M&BD Special Projects Senior Manager, Marketing and Business Development

Grant Thornton UK LLP

Stan Garfield

>In professional services, what is the KM program that worked best in your organisation?

When I led the KM program for professional services at HP, the initiatives that worked best were:
  • The capture and reuse process, supported by the Project Profile Repository
  • The communities initiative, supported by HP Forums
  • The recognition and rewards initiative, supported by KM Stars
For details, see:
>There seems to be a reticence in documenting and sharing knowledge for fear of discouraging people from listening to the client and advising a bespoke solution to their needs.

The reluctance in documenting and sharing knowledge was based more on the lack of time provided for those activities.  There was some reluctance to reuse knowledge for the reason you mention, and also because reuse could decrease the number of billable hours needed to deliver a project and thus prevent achieving billable hour goals.  The capture and reuse process, which required documenting and reusing, and the KM Stars initiative, which rewarded documenting and sharing, both helped overcome these challenges.

Nick Milton

>In professional services, what is the KM program that worked best in your organisation?

Based on KM survey data, with 143 data points from professional services companies:

  • The primary business driver is to use KM to provide a better service to clients, with increasing internal efficiency as a close second, and knowledge retention as a more distant third.
  • The highest priority approach is connecting people through communities and networks. Knowledge retention and improved access to documents are joint second, and provision of knowledge to customer facing staff, knowledge retention, and creation of best practices are also important
  • The bar chart below shows the level of value delivery the survey respondents assigned to these approaches (the line is a weighted value score)

Tom Barfield

Nick - I added your response to the KM Collection here. Visit https://kminvite.keeeb.com to create a login.
I'd like to connect to talk about how I can bring attention to your insights via the KM Collection.
tom@...

Tom