Topics

Use of videos in KM programs #question #video

Nirmala Palaniappan

Hi All,

Got a quick question for all of you. Please spare a few minutes to let me know your thoughts.

How many of you are a part of KM programmes that use videos to communicate one or more of the following aspects:

A) Vision and Purpose of the KM programme
B) Subject matter expertise converted into short but effective videos
C) Videos on KM practices and platforms that improve traction

If yes, what is your experience in terms of its effectiveness? If not, any reasons why you haven’t made videos (apart from lack of budgets)?

Thanks a lot for your time
Regards
Nirmala
--
"The faithful see the invisible, believe the incredible and then receive the impossible" - Anonymous

Hi Nirmala,

I'm currently developing a set of KM Video Scribes, bite-size pieces on the most frequent questions related to collaboration and knowledge communities.

My intention is to save time by answering the fundamental question in informal, visual and fun format. They will also act as discussion starter whenever i present the KM program.

I have observed videos have positive impact at raising awareness, later the adoption is another question to answer.

You may have a look at the initial set of the video scribes:

knowledge community - what is it? (1min 2") (link)
knowledge communities - What i can do? (1min 38") (Link)
Knowledge communities - How they can help in knowledge transfer? (1min 31") (Link)

Let me know if you have any suggestion for improvement.

Thank you
Rachad Najjar

Dan Ranta

Hi Nimala.  Good points / questions.  World class KM programs have videos - IMHO.  Like you said - short and effective.  Short videos help a small team play big since it's a great way to quickly share content when folks have questions -- better yet, you can position them alongside your KM governance materials (ideally in a wiki environment) for greater context.

Rachad is a video-making machine.  He's really good at them...even in his third language (english)!

Dan

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 11:15 AM Nirmala Palaniappan <Nirmala.pal@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Got a quick question for all of you. Please spare a few minutes to let me know your thoughts.

How many of you are a part of KM programmes that use videos to communicate one or more of the following aspects:

A) Vision and Purpose of the KM programme
B) Subject matter expertise converted into short but effective videos
C) Videos on KM practices and platforms that improve traction

If yes, what is your experience in terms of its effectiveness? If not, any reasons why you haven’t made videos (apart from lack of budgets)?

Thanks a lot for your time
Regards
Nirmala
--
"The faithful see the invisible, believe the incredible and then receive the impossible" - Anonymous

Mark Bennett

Hi Nirmala

In general, I believe videos provide a very powerful way to communicate various aspects of a KM programme.  Videos certainly can be expensive, but they don't have to be given the availability of both mobile phones to record people / practices and desktop tools to create screencasts and edit the final product.

I would like to pick up on your third point:

C) Videos on KM practices and platforms that improve traction

To my mind, nothing improves traction better than success stories, and video is a wonderful mechanism to celebrate success.  I can provide a public domain example from Rio Tinto (one of the world's largest mining companies), where I worked for 10 years and was responsible for the creation of a portfolio of Communities of Practice with some 15,000 members across the world.

To provide a little context, I became aware of the power of written success stories from companies such as Shell, and I wanted to push the boundaries by moving success stories from print to video media.  In 2007 I managed to convince the corporate communications team to include our CoP story in its quarterly showcase, and you can see the result on YouTube here.

Interestingly the video created its own snowball, in that large media organisations in Australia picked up the story.  The wonderful thing about videos is that they provide a way of connecting the audience to the actual people involved and the context that they are working in.  Video also provides a great mechanism to educate and train people in topics such as how to use online tools and the best way to get benefits from them.

Best wishes

Mark

Dr Mark Bennett
LearningCollaboration
82 Richmond St
Leederville
WA 6007
Australia

Phone: +61 419 903 859

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 02:12, Dan Ranta <danieleranta@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for sharing your work with me and responding to my questions, Rachad.
Very nicely done videos! I am guessing that usage of such videos would have increased engagement and traction from your audience!

The reason why I asked the questions in my previous email is because after playing a conventional KMer's role (heading KM functions and programmes) for 2 decades now, I am now setting out to be an independent consultant and am also working with a video animation company to explore if I can help KM departments communicate in a more exciting and engaging manner with their audience. I believe this is really critical because of the abstract nature of KM and I have seen good results in the organisations I worked with. I will stop here lest this paragraph be seen as a commercial pitch.

My intention is to find validation from the community and also understand the impact of using videos for communicating the purpose of KM, sharing content and orienting users.
Good luck with your endeavours to communicate using videos. I think they are well made and short enough to hold the attention of viewers. Keep going!

Regards
Nirmala

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 23:10, Rachad Najjar <rachadbn@...> wrote:
[...]

Exactly....I think it will be a wonderful idea to create such assets and make them a part of - say - a KM Wiki that allows new hires to understand how the KM team or its practices can help.

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 23:42, Dan Ranta <danieleranta@...> wrote:
[...]

This is brilliant, Mark.
Thank you!
I believe you hit the nail on the head when you say videos could be a great way to share success stories.
It is likely to remain in the memories of viewers and influence them - and can potentially be a viral share that reaches everyone that matters.

Is there a magic number as far as the duration of the video goes? Maybe not more than 3 minutes?

Regards
Nirmala

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 10:19, Mark Bennett <mark.bennett@...> wrote:
[...]

Nick Milton

I have a personal collection of several hundred short videos – 2 or 3 minutes – of KM success stories in various organisations I have worked with.  I tend to use them mostly in training or presentations, embedded in PowerPoint. They really enliven a presentation, and enable you to bring “the voice of the user” into the room.

I have also used Video embedded in wikis to illuminate specific points that are hard to put into diagrams or words, or to emphasise specific stories. Again, no more than 2 or 3 minutes.

Nick Milton

[...]

Chris Collison

Agree with you Mark – and that RioTinto story has been put to work in many organisations beyond Rio Tinto, I can vouch for that!  To my mind most powerful videos are the ones which tell a memorably story (and yours does that really well through the re-enactment and the involvement of staff at multiple levels).  Talking heads and testimonials are definitely useful, but it's the stories which really stick.

From: <SIKM@groups.io> on behalf of Mark Bennett <mark.bennett@...>
Date: Tuesday, 2 June 2020 at 05:49
To: "SIKM@groups.io" <SIKM@groups.io>

[...]

Murray Jennex

My favorite video KM system was developed in the mid 2000s for the military.  It was a IED deactivation knowledge system.  since the effective life of a bomb tech is about 2 years (mostly due to stress and rotation of duties) a lot of bomb disposal knowledge was being lost and it took too long to train the new bomb techs.  The system worked by creating a knowledge base of knowledge nuggets, short videos that described how to deactivate a specific IED and was a few to several minutes long.  the system was searched using visual description of the ied found in the field.  The most important lesson learned from this system was to keep the videos short and to the point.  I think many have already said this so this isn't new, but it is an incredibly fascinating case of KM being used to save lives.....murray jennex

[...]

Rahul Lama

Hello,

I am new to KM and am working on a KM program in a startup in Bangalore that is currently trying to make short videos to capture the expertise of experts in each department.

I am facing problem on how to design the whole program, how to identify experts, what knowledge to capture as well as how to capture knowledge as we are working from home and not meeting each other in person.  So, how do we engage with the experts to distill their knowledge and make videos also? Any sample videos/templates/best practices/websites/books I can look up to? And any thoughts on this from project management or content creation or KM knowledge capturing standpoint?

Gratitude,
Rahul
Email: rlama1990@...
Mobile: +91 8638156245

Nirmala Palaniappan

Thank you, Nick.
Good to hear about your experience with videos. I can connect with what you're saying, as training sessions may otherwise be drab and hard to absorb.

PS: How do you search through so many videos? Would be great if you have good tags and video search...

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, 13:14 Nick Milton, <nick.milton@...> wrote:

[...]

This is an amazing case in point, Murray.
Thank you for sharing.

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, 13:26 Murray Jennex via groups.io, <murphjen=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jane Dysart

I love this discussion about using video for knowledge sharing and transfer.  It made me think that a session around this topic at KMWorld would be appropriate!

Would any of you like to talk/share videos/provide tips, tech, tools on this topic at KMWorld in DC, Nov 16-19?  Please let me know.

Thanks

Jane

Jane Dysart, Program Director, KMWorld 2020

http://www.kmworld.com/Conference/2020/

Curator of Curiosity & Partner

Dysart & Jones Associates

jane@...

Twitter & Skype  jdysart

[...]

If I recall correctly, BP used videos (some over the shoulder following actual work tasks like mechanical part replacement) in the 90’s to demonstrate processes and procedures in oil operations as a way to share and transfer “how to” knowledge.  I believe Nick Milton and Kent Greenes could share good insights on this application.

Best

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

[...]

Here is another example.

I was the PM of a KM project focused on LL from Iraq reconstruction following the war that leveraged Army lessons learned videos about topics such as IEDs. This is an excerpt of a larger piece which was connected to soldiers explaining the learnings, what happened, and putting context into the learning.

Best

Bill

[...]

Raymond Olayinka

Nirmala,

Regarding
B) Subject matter expertise converted into short but effective videos...

I've used videos to capture some of the knowledge of SMEs particularly those that are retiring. Its great for capturing the 'know what' and 'know why' of say particular facilities or projects. Can also capture the 'know how' to an extent.

Videos can be great if:

- the audio visuals are great. You'll need a studio with good acoustics and green screen background to enable you super-impose props and slide decks. you'll need a good camera (or two) to record. Or you can get a self-recording camera equipment like the Rapdmooc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9AlawUjS9I or any other ones you can find out there
-the interviewer and interviewee are well prepared. You'll need good quality content, not hours of rambling
-videos are subtitled so people can watch at their desks without disturbing colleagues
-videos are edited and chopped into bitesize themes, say 5 minutes each. this can be painstaking. employ someone to do this!
-videos are well indexed, tagged, uploaded and assessable by simple search. Dont label/tag your interview by the interviewees name, label it by topics/themes
-your organisation has a media library compatible with their systems. e.g. MS O365 Videos (now MS Stream) that is if you use the MS O365 portfolio. There are many other non MS products out there

So to answer your question in a long-winded way, videos can be effective. And in a world where children are born with media devices in their hands, taught in school with videos, engage with the world through videos not to mention the spike in video use due to lock-down, videos and media libraries seem a good investment for knowledge capture and sharing

Hope this helps

Ray Olayinka
https://www.linkedin.com/in/raymond-olayinka-3466137/

On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎2‎ ‎June‎ ‎2020‎ ‎16‎:‎14‎:‎53‎ ‎BST, Bill Kaplan <bill@...> wrote:

[...]

Brilliant, Ray. Thank you so much.
Very useful list of things to remember in the process of video-making!

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020, 11:26 Raymond Olayinka via groups.io, <raymond.olayinka=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Nirmala,

Regarding
[...]

Stan Garfield

Rahul's questions may have gotten lost in this thread. If you can respond to him, please do.

He is trying to make short videos to capture the expertise of experts in each department. He faces these challenges:
  1. How to design the whole program?
  2. How to identify experts?
  3. What knowledge to capture?
  4. How to capture knowledge when working from home and not meeting in person?
  5. How to engage with the experts to distill their knowledge and make videos?
He asked for samples of:
  1. Videos
  2. Templates
  3. Proven practices
  4. Websites
  5. Books
He requested thoughts on this from the standpoints of:
  1. Project management
  2. Content creation
  3. Knowledge capture

Raymond Olayinka