Topics

Knowledge Management article #COVID-19 #KM-research #CoP

Heather Johnson

Sharing with the SIKM community 

Please use this link to see my latest research on radical innovation and knowledge management. I got published in the Journal of Innovation Management on April 28th, 2020, accepted on 1st submission. My research started out covering all high technology industries but due to space constraints, I restricted my conversation in this article to the pharma biotech industry. The research is applicable to all industries, particularly since the advent of COVID-19 and the ramifications to businesses across the world. Please tag others who will benefit from this research.

http://www.montroseconsulting.net/publications1

Heather Johnson

Cindy Young

Heather,

Congratulations on your success in being published in the Journal of Innovation Management. That is a great feat! I look forward to reading your article.

Regards,
Cindy

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 3:47 PM Heather Johnson <heather57johnson@...> wrote:

Please use this link to see my latest research on radical innovation and knowledge management. I got published in the Journal of Innovation Management on April 28th, 2020, accepted on 1st submission. My research started out covering all high technology industries but due to space constraints, I restricted my conversation in this article to the pharma biotech industry. The research is applicable to all industries, particularly since the advent of COVID-19 and the ramifications to businesses across the world. Please tag others who will benefit from this research.

Heather Johnson

--
Dr. Cindy Young, PMP, LSS MBB, CMQ/OE

Murray Jennex

Nice article Heather.  My journal, International Journal of Knowledge Management, also publishes articles on KM and Innovation if you are continuing this line of research....murray jennex

-----Original Message-----
To: SIKM@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jun 6, 2020 12:47 pm
Subject: [SIKM] Knowledge Management article #kmresearch #CoP #covid-19

Heather Johnson

Dennis Thomas

Heather,

Besides being a monumentally complex research study, I think your paper surfaces important points for the KM Tech industry.  I like the focus on teams and the point you made about the relationship between technology and behavior.  It has long been my contention that as valuable as technology is, it is also behaviorally limiting.  People have to work the way the machine dictates.  For many, perhaps most, what is being offered to the KM community is “good enough.”  Not for me, especially from the standpoint that knowledge is multi-dimensional and normal to human interpretative intelligence.

As an example, our short term memory is less than 5 seconds.  So when we click through conventional linked navigation processes to find the knowledge we need, or to execute ideas that are on our minds, the probability of forgetting our train-of-thought, or worse yet, getting lost in the linked maze, is a subtle form of resistance that conditions our behavior.  It’s like running on the beach in bare feet.  After a quarter mile, we begin to feel the effects of each divot our feet make in the sand, then after a mile or so, we really feel it.  

I also liked, among other great points, that your participants said that management’s concern for failure was a major deterrent to radical innovation (which you defined as “rare”).  Most of us in the technology world know that some large companies purposefully make their technology difficult to setup, use, and change.  The reason for this is strategic, its their way of forcing their customers to require the services of their legions of support affiliates.  This daisy-chain of misery extends from the developer company, through consulting firms, to their clients, to the end user.  The point of resistance is the Total Cost of Ownership, especially that related to change-reconfiguration, and training.  This means that day-by-day vital organizational knowledge is left behind in the massive global wake of binary, logic-based technologies.  

Kafka would liken this situation as subservience to a Fetish God.  After being beat every day, people come to expect it.  

So what is the solution?  You address this through Fig 4, Model of dynamic “Knowledge Management” graphic stating breakthrough technology  designed first or “Business Model Performance.” 

What a great read!!

Dennis L. Thomas, CEO
IQStrategix, Inc. 
(810) 662-5199

Dennis L. Thomas
IQStrategix
(810) 662-5199

Leveraging Organizational Knowledge 

On June 6, 2020 at 3:47:03 PM, Heather Johnson (heather57johnson@...) wrote:

Heather Johnson

Heather Johnson

Thank you Dennis for your kind response. I put my heart and soul in this article because I am very passionate about the topic on several levels. I am estatatic that yoou took the time to mention specific quotes from my article. I always love to get feedback from engaged readers.

I am looking forward to sharing more in this arena.

Heather Johnson

Hi Cindy
Thanks for your comment. Please let me know when have completed reading my article. We have a similar background in terms of Six Sigma, PMP and ASQ credentials. I will look you up on LinkedIn.

Cheers,

Heather

Heather Johnson

Dennis
I wanted to also acknowledge that indeed the constructs in this research made the research very difficult. I had many high impact topics that were converging on to each other. Great observations!

Your mention of the ability to capture someone's attention is fleeting at best makes it more important for us as knowledge management experts to ensure that knowledge is imparted in such a way to leave lasting impressions on the brain.

Heather

Cindy Young

I will Heather.  It's a lot to try to read in one sitting.  :-) I wrote my doctoral study on Knowledge Management and Innovation so I recognize many of references you used prior to 2016.  I will check my LinkedIn today.  Look forward to connecting with you!

Regards,

Cindy

Dennis Thomas

Heather, and thank you for your feedback.  

I understand your work because our Radical Innovation team is developing two parallel KM “team oriented” technologies.  One, a common language, multi-dimensional KM knowledge ecosystem development, management, and real-time delivery technology, and the other, a concept computing technology.  A system that will interact with people on a conceptual level, meaning, the way people naturally think.  Ultimately, these two systems will converge. 

I was literally looking for feedback from NSF on this project when I found your response.  

I am happy to give you a complimentary subscription to the tools when ready later this year.   I would be interest in your enlightened feedback.

Dennis

On Jun 9, 2020, at 11:36 PM, Heather Johnson <heather57johnson@...> wrote:

Dennis
I wanted to also acknowledge that indeed the constructs in this research made the research very difficult. I had many high impact topics that were converging on to each other. Great observations!

Your mention of the ability to capture someone's attention is fleeting at best makes it more important for us as knowledge management experts to ensure that knowledge is imparted in such a way to leave lasting impressions on the brain.

Heather