Topics

COP Charters or Templates #CoP

Mike Aguilar

Hi Everyone,

I am working to get a COP established within my company.  I was wondering if anyone has any templates for charters that they would be willing to share?  I've pulled the template from the AQPC site, but wanting to see if anyone had one that was really helpful in getting a COP started with clear goals and guidelines.

Thanks,

mike

Brett Patron

There's this dude named Stan that hangs out here that knows a bit about it.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020, 11:36 AM Mike Aguilar <michael_aguilar@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am working to get a COP established within my company.  I was wondering if anyone has any templates for charters that they would be willing to share?  I've pulled the template from the AQPC site, but wanting to see if anyone had one that was really helpful in getting a COP started with clear goals and guidelines.

Thanks,

mike

Katrina Pugh

Thanks, Brett. Mike, an example is our blueprint

You can also take a look at the SIKM Boston charter. Though the Wiki is for members (welcome to join!), we’ve also copied the charter here:

Http://sikmbostonopen.pbworks.com

Katrina Pugh
AlignConsulting | Collaboration, Analytics and Strategy
Columbia University | Information and Knowledge Strategy Master of Science Program
Mobile: 617-967-3910

On Jun 17, 2020, at 11:39 AM, Brett Patron <longtabsigo@...> wrote:

There's this dude named Stan that hangs out here that knows a bit about it.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020, 11:36 AM Mike Aguilar <michael_aguilar@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am working to get a COP established within my company.  I was wondering if anyone has any templates for charters that they would be willing to share?  I've pulled the template from the AQPC site, but wanting to see if anyone had one that was really helpful in getting a COP started with clear goals and guidelines.

Thanks,

mike

Dan Ranta

Hi Mike - attached are a ppt and WORD version of a charter I used for a global automotive manufacturer back in 2014/5.  If you want to talk about it more - we can have a quick call.  I have a nice Network (community) communication plan template also - but it was a hassle to sanitize it - you may want that also.

Glad to help and share.  Dan

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 9:36 AM Mike Aguilar <michael_aguilar@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am working to get a COP established within my company.  I was wondering if anyone has any templates for charters that they would be willing to share?  I've pulled the template from the AQPC site, but wanting to see if anyone had one that was really helpful in getting a COP started with clear goals and guidelines.

Thanks,

mike

Douglas Weidner

Hi Mike,

We focus on CoPs, as one of about 15 such proven strategic KM initiatives, in our CKM and CKS-Social Business courses.

Having a KM Team Charter, or in your case a CoP Charter, is a very important activity, among many others as well.
Research claims that governance and charters substantially improve your likelihood of success.

Even more critical to your success is section 9 Performance Evaluation, which is included in ISO 30401:2018

Our maxim, and the initial step of our KM Methodlogy is Learn Before.
It is always easier, and much less embarrassing/career threatening, to make ongoing continuous improvements than to need a major change in direction.

We use a NASA charter as an example, see:

Best wishes,

Douglas Weidner
Chief CKM Instructor
KM Institute

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 11:39 AM Brett Patron <longtabsigo@...> wrote:
There's this dude named Stan that hangs out here that knows a bit about it.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020, 11:36 AM Mike Aguilar <michael_aguilar@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am working to get a COP established within my company.  I was wondering if anyone has any templates for charters that they would be willing to share?  I've pulled the template from the AQPC site, but wanting to see if anyone had one that was really helpful in getting a COP started with clear goals and guidelines.

Thanks,

mike

Files
Links to other resources

Excerpt from my forthcoming book

A community charter is a document that defines the scope, objectives, and participants in a community. It explains the community’s purpose and benefits, identifies preliminary roles and responsibilities, and provides strategies and measurements to support community success.

Identifying the objectives for a community before creating it is always a good idea. Writing a community charter makes those objectives explicit and adds other important information. Having to commit these details to writing helps those launching the community to think through important concepts and make key decisions before the community goes live.

Working with the community sponsor, community manager, and a facilitator, the community champions and potential initial members should create a community charter. Doing this in a facilitated workshop will help community members come together quickly, focused on a finite, common task. The charter can be discussed, modified, agreed to, and posted on the community site.

Here is a template that can be used or adapted to create a community charter:

  1. Community Name (Identify the name of the Community, e.g., Project Management Community of Practice.)
  2. Community Audience (Identify the types of members the community is targeting or is trying to attract, e.g., project managers, program managers, and project administrators.)
  3. Community Purpose (Identify the intent of the community, e.g., the community is focused on documenting, sharing, and transferring project management lessons learned and proven practices.)
  4. Type of Community (Identify the community type, e.g., role-specific community of practice.)
  5. Community Objectives (Identify the short-term and long-term goals for the community, e.g., short-term: hold monthly lessons learned sharing sessions; long-term: routinely reuse proven practices on all new projects.)
  6. Critical Business Issues (Identify the challenges the community will address.)
  7. Tools and Activities (Identify the tools and activities that will be used to support the community, e.g., Site, CalendarEvents, News, Threads,)
  8. Measures of Success (List measures of success, e.g., Activity, Content, Membership, Events.)
  9. Community Roles (Identify by name the individuals who are filling key roles.)
  • Community Sponsor:
  • Community Manager:
  • Community Champions:

Tom Barfield

There have been great resources shared in this thread.  I have had added the following to the KM Collection

- SIKM Charter (Kate)
- ABC Charter Examples (Dan)
- NASA example (Doug)
- Stan's post with several links (Stan)

Here is a public link to the Community of Practice section of the KM Collection.
Anyone who has registered on the KM Collection and has installed the browser extension will be able to easily find these materials when searching on the internet.

Tom