Topics

Challenge: Identify the source of the high volume of replays for the Feb. 18, 2020 monthly call recording #monthly-call

Stan Garfield

A curious phenomenon has been occurring for the past two months. It relates to the recording of the presentation given by Luis Suarez on Feb. 18, 2020 on The Impact of Data Analytics in Digital Transformation Programs.

A high volume of daily replays started around the time of Luis's April 13 blog post. I assume that there is some very widely-viewed source that is linking to the recording or to Luis's blog post, but I have been unable to locate the source through search.

I receive a report each day listing replays of any of our monthly call recordings during the previous day. Normally there are some immediately following the monthly call, and then there typically are not many until the next month's call. But for the February call, there have been roughly 10 or more every day, with no decrease.

The latest example is from today's report. There were 9 replays of yesterday's monthly call recording.  There were 24 for the February call.

I thought some of our members with an interest in searching, online detective work, and problem solving would be intrigued by the challenge of identifying the source of the links to the recording.  It could be linking to Luis's blog post at http://www.elsua.net/2020/04/13/impact-of-data-analytics-in-todays-digital-workplace/ or directly to the recording at fccdl.in/3tav1ZmNQK .

Can you figure out the source? If so, you will solve a puzzle that has been on my mind for the past two months, and earn the respect and gratitude of both Luis and me. Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Stan

Lee Romero

Stan had emailed me yesterday about this but I hadn't had a chance to look at it (so he, rightfully asked the community here because I'm sure someone here likely knows some tricks I do not know).

I did some digging just now in Google - which used to offer a specific syntax of search to find pages that link to a specific resource (assuming Google indexes the page with the link, of course) but it looks like Google made changes in how that behaves a few years ago and so you don't get the precision you used to.

The syntax I'm familiar with is to use the link; operator - like:

In theory, that would show you search results that include that URL as a link.

Initially, what I see is that it provides results that mention the domain (fccdl.in) but I had to select an option to force that the ID mentioned in the URL (3tav1ZmNQK) to be in the results - that does give me a few results still but they look like results based on some older snapshots of some Twitter pages or pages on sites (nitter.com?) that scrape tweets.  The long and short of that seems to be that there is no publicly visible and indexed page that seems like an obvious source for this activity.

Can anyone determine otherwise?

Stan - I'm not familiar with the tool used to record these - you obviously get some metrics about playbacks of your recordings.  Do you have any options to analyze that activity in any way?

Regards
Lee

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 1:00 PM Stan Garfield <stangarfield@...> wrote:
[...]

Lee, thanks for your efforts.  The details that I receive are in the email message I sent you yesterday.  Here is a sample:

Conference - Ref# 45 - Recorded: Feb 18, 2020 10:52:14 AM EST - Duration: 68m:46s - 24 Plays

June 16, 2020 - 24 Plays

web access (195.154.123.75)

9:45:24 PM

web access (195.154.123.75)

7:53:28 PM

I don't see any source of additional data.  I request that you contact FreeConferenceCall.com to see if there is anything else available:
If you have any questions, please call our Customer Service Department at
(844) 844-1322 or email us at support@....

Stan Garfield

Today was a new high: 40 plays for the February call, as compared to 6 plays for the June call held earlier this week. Does anyone have any ideas as to how and why this is happening?

Conference - Ref# 45 - Recorded: Feb 18, 2020 10:52:14 AM EST - Duration: 68m:46s - 40 Plays

June 17, 2020 - 40 Plays

Conference - Ref# 49 - Recorded: Jun 16, 2020 10:49:48 AM EDT - Duration: 70m:52s - 6 Plays

June 17, 2020 - 6 Plays

Does Luis have google analytics installed on his blog? if so, you could go in google analytics to Behavior->Site Content->Landing Pages and then look for the past 30 days/etc. or different time period at how many sessions/day that page is seeing, and if you look at the Source or the "Referral Path" under secondary dimensions it will tell you what url those referrals are coming from.

Hi Lesley, thanks a lot for the feedback and for the info details. This is, indeed, what has baffled both Stan and myself. I don't use Google Analytics but Jetpack. When I look into the Jetpack analytics I can see some of the traffic to that blog post, but in no way to the numbers Stan is seeing in the recording itself. When checking out the Referrers I see some traffic, but most of that is coming from Google Search into that blog post. Again, in lower numbers than Stan reports from the recording.  And that's why are intrigued by that particular unknown source of the extra traffic created, because we just can't track what it is. That's why Stan decided to ask the community to see if anyone may be able to shed some light from similar experiences they may have encountered in the past.

I don't know where else to look to find that source that brings all of that traffic. But many thanks, anyway, for the hints and for the advice. I very much appreciate it.

Murray Jennex

people catching up?  there was a lot of work that needed to be done fast in February and March....murray