KM that impacts the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) #request

Nancy Dixon

Friends,
I’ve been invited by a journal to write an article on how KM can move the SDGs (the UN Sustainable development Goals) forward.  I’d be interested in any references or ideas you have about that topic. What KM can and can’t do.

Nancy

On Jul 2, 2020, at 3:47 PM, Dan Ranta via groups.io <danieleranta@...> wrote:

Michael - this is a tough question to answer succinctly.  You will get lots of replies here on this one - lots of good ideas.  Let me start with a basic point.  There are generally two ways to find content - Search and Browse.  Don't forget of about helping your users browse.  Think about wikipedia in this sense and the way articles are arranged in portals (or portal spaces).  When done well, you give a use the ability to have "knowledge accidents" (or serendipity) when browsing.  Next, in my experience, creating a google search within a company is a fantasy.  Not possible for a number of reasons.  However, improving search can be done in a number of ways.  I have seen several examples, but I do not have to technical expertise to explain them.  I am a huge wiki fan and this may be radical for you, but I would consider shifting the knowledge from ServiceNow into a wiki.  Of course, MediaWiki is the best, hands-down.  Based on what you have said, I can see this helping solve many of your challenges.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 2:19 PM Michael Hutchens <m.hutchens81@...> wrote:
Hi folks,

I've just started a new role as a Knowledge Adviser within the ICT component of a government organization. We are using ServiceNow to store customer-support related information. A key challenge that has been raised with me from a number of different users is "I can't find the information I'm looking for". Obviously this statement requires unpacking as it can be a result of a number of different challenges:

1) ServiceNow search configured sub-optimally
2) Knowledge gaps
3) Knowledge articles don't being sufficiently search-centric (either through metadata, article content, or categorisations)
4) Users not understanding how to effectively search (training)

These are all things that I'm persuing, but #4 is what I'm most interested in here - I think that users are applying 'Google-style' search habits to our internal closed environment, and their expectations are not being met (e.g. searching for single words such as 'Outlook', rather than using 2-3 keywords and refining them as they go). As part of a wider training plan, I'm looking for research, articles, or opinions on this topic that I can socialize with my users. If anyone is able to point me in the right direction, or provide some thoughts, I'd be most appreciative :)

Bruce Boyes

Hi Nancy,

Not sure if you're already aware that the Knowledge for Development Partnership (K4DP) has produced the Agenda Knowledge for Development which puts forward 14 knowledge development goals to complement the SDGs. Many people from KM4Dev were involved in the preparation of the Agenda.

The following research summaries are also relevant:

Bruce.

Bruce Boyes

Abdul Jaleel

Hi Nancy,
Well I was doing some research into this area recently, here are my views ( I had an opportunity to work with SDG initiatives, close to two years), purely based on my reading/observations. (Many of them do feed into each other)

1. Focus on Strategic Knowledge Management (Strategic knowledge gap analysis and evolving appropriate action to close the gaps), based on evidence and data.
2. As always, greater impact will be felt where "Story Telling" (either learnings or good practices) ultimately leading to practice adoption/influence the change - Various types of knowledge products capturing/exchange (Video, etc)
3. MEAL System -  to review and incorporate cross-country learning and exchange of experience through technology, enhanced utilisation of virtual meeting/webinars and the likes for knowledge exchange.
4. Some countries like Afghanistan require Technical Assistance as well (I'm not sure, how prevalent this problem is...)
5. Focus on evidence based KM (there seems to be difficulty in bringing out the impact of KM, sometimes due to lack of proper data, etc...issues of collecting proper evidence.)
5. Promoting KM in administrative functions, perhaps launching a Community for Admin Roles, leadership (where much of the support for KM would come from )

I'm also preparing a presentation on this, so in case anyone of you have any thoughts/comments, pls do share it with me as well.

MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning)

Abdul Jaleel Tharayil
Kuwait

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 03:02, Nancy Dixon <nancydixon@...> wrote:
[...]

Bruce,
Thanks so much for these two references. As it happens I was a member of this group back in 2015 when it first met.  Great to have the update

Nancy

On Jul 2, 2020, at 8:34 PM, Bruce Boyes via groups.io <bruceboyes@...> wrote:

Hi Nancy,

Not sure if you're already aware that the Knowledge for Development Partnership (K4DP) has produced the Agenda Knowledge for Development which puts forward 14 knowledge development goals to complement the SDGs. Many people from KM4Dev were involved in the preparation of the Agenda.

The following research summaries are also relevant:

Bruce.

Bruce Boyes

Nancy Dixon

Abdul,
This is very helpful.  Perhaps we could have a brief conversation about your observations.  You can reach me directly at nancydixon@...
Thanks
Nancy

On Jul 3, 2020, at 4:35 AM, Abdul Jaleel via groups.io <abdul.tharayil@...> wrote:

[...]

Yasmin Khan

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 3:24 PM Nancy Dixon <nancydixon@...> wrote:
[...]

Yasmin,
Is this open for everybody or limited to students ?

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 03:06, Yasmin Khan <yk2644@...> wrote:

[...]

My apologies, I tried to register and it looks like it is open to students only. However, maybe the speakers can be contacted for more information and you can look up their research and published articles and books.