Topics

Need new KM professional inputs (0-2 years of KM experience) #request

Cindy Young

Good morning,

As some of you may remember, I am creating a KM for Beginners course (name to be finalized later). I had a huge response from this community for things you look back and would have wanted in your KM journeys.

I haven't had a lot of luck getting new KM professionals between 0-2 of experience in their first KM position. I have posted on LinkedIn and have had two interviews so far which have been extremely fruitful, but I definitely want more. If you know of any, please let them know I have openings this week in the evenings 5 PM and 6 PM for a half hour on Zoom. As I said on LinkedIn, "I am looking for professionals early (0-2 years) in their Knowledge Management journey for a 30-minute Q&A to share their pain points and successes with me to support an upcoming KM for Beginners program. This is not a sales pitch!" I am looking to talk to them so they can let me know one-on-one what would have made your job easier or less painful when starting your knowledge management journey.

Please feel free to share if you know of anyone that fits the 0-2 year window in the KM profession.

My Calendly scheduler can be reached for easy sign-ups this week: https://calendly.com/cjyoungconsulting/km-for-beginners-q-a?month=2020-07

I may extend this if I can't get more participation (no set numbers), but my full-time work schedule is different next week so that's still TBD.

Thank you for any help you can give me by sharing this opportunity.

Dennis Thomas

Hello Cindy,

I don’t have any 0-2 KMers to offer, but I can suggest something I think we all need to keep in mind.

Based on studies of human interpretative intelligence and a graphic I posted (updated version attached), humans interpret the world from genetic, sensory, and two primary modes of reasoning: logical and rational. Logic-based reasoning is rule-based as evidenced by linguistic grammar and mathematical axioms, and rational reasoning is demonstrated by highly contextualized question answering, problem solving, planning, defending or arguing for points-of-view, trade-off decisions where there are no right answers, and in general, figuring out the meaning and implications of situations and circumstances and the impacts, outcomes, and consequences.  In the wake of this dichotomy, a stream of confusion and misdirection follows because the two modes of thinking address two separate approaches to knowledge.

Rational thought has purpose.  When bound with imagination it paves the way for new inventions, understandings, and new organizational structures that are based on reason, rather than on rigid, rule-based logic.  Companies like GE and Danaher are focused on LEAN practices for good reason.  Their goals are to open, and keep open, the rational doors of discovery, rather than pouring more time and money into the 70+ years effort to prove that logic-based computing systems are the solution.  From my point-of-view, when technology reasons both rationally and logically we will have entered into a new age of computing. This is certainly one of our goals.

I am particularly encouraged to see that after 25 plus years of Knowledge Management, skilled and experienced big project practitioners like yourself, Cory Cannonn and others are emerging from the U.S. Military services where they gained significant experience in KM, Six Sigma, and Lean practices.

I have also attached a Kaizen graphic to help demonstrate rational thinking.  I hope this has some value, since I appreciate your ambition to help new KMers understand the basics ideas that underly the profession.

On July 8, 2020 at 8:27:15 AM, Dennis Thomas (dlthomas@...) wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Dennis. From the two conversations I had so far, the new KMers are more interested in the how-tos rather than the theoretical. Common concerns are how do they make their seniors care about KM and how to do they get the organization to keep KM and not just, in my words, fire and forget, on a KM program. One who has been in their job for two months is interested in the basics of tacit and explicit knowledge, knowledge sharing, transfer, etc.  The other one has been in their job for about a year and a half so they have the basic terms down, but have a higher interest in making things stick.

Even if you don't know of any 0-2 year KM professionals, would you mind sharing my post with your network?  It may reach others who have a 0-2 year person in their organization.

Regards,
Cindy

Dennis Thomas

Good enough, Cindy.  Will refer if I can. Dennis

On July 8, 2020 at 9:45:52 AM, Cindy Young (cjbutler97@...) wrote:

Thank you, Dennis. From the two conversations I had so far, the new KMers are more interested in the how-tos rather than the theoretical. Common concerns are how do they make their seniors care about KM and how to do they get the organization to keep KM and not just, in my words, fire and forget, on a KM program. One who has been in their job for two months is interested in the basics of tacit and explicit knowledge, knowledge sharing, transfer, etc.  The other one has been in their job for about a year and a half so they have the basic terms down, but have a higher interest in making things stick.

Even if you don't know of any 0-2 year KM professionals, would you mind sharing my post with your network?  It may reach others who have a 0-2 year person in their organization.

Regards,
Cindy

Alisha Hillner

Good morning Cindy.  We have several employees we just hired in the last year so I'll share this with them.  I know I have at least one interested in doing the interview for you.

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020, 7:31 AM Cindy Young <cjbutler97@...> wrote:

[...]

Rahul Lama

Hey, I can volunteer for this. I just completed a KM Internship and could help.

Regards,
Rahul

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020, 5:01 pm Cindy Young, <cjbutler97@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert L. Bogue

Cindy –

I’d echo that the feedback I get from folks about training in general is it’s too theoretical and not enough practical.  That’s one of the fun conversations about the Confident Change Management course (https://ConfidentChangeManagement.com) is “Well, what change model do you teach?”  When I answer that I don’t care and that we teach the skills that people need to be effective no matter what model they use, I generally get funny looks for a moment.  It’s find to say “create desire” – but only as long as people have tools to be able to do that.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with when it comes to specific skills that a KM person should have to be successful.

Rob

P.S. If anyone wants a discount code to register for the course, I’m happy to get you one.  If we were connected via LinkedIn you should have already received one but I’m happy to extend that discount to my SIKM friends.

-------------------

Robert L. Bogue

O: (317) 844-5310  M: (317) 506-4977 Blog: http://www.thorprojects.com/blog

Are you burned out?  https://ExtinguishBurnout.com can help you get out of it.

[...]

Rahul,

That would be great!  Please sign up via my Calendly link in the original post.

Regards,
Cindy

Cindy Young

Thank you, Robert.

Regards,
Cindy

Cindy Young

Thank you, Alisha!  I greatly appreciate your support.

Regards,
Cindy

Ginetta Gueli

Dear Cindy,
a very good community of KMers is KM4DEV (focus on Development - NGO): are you part of it? If not, I can post your message and contacts there.

Let me know if this might help.
Thank you and kind regards,
Ginetta
--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager

Cindy Young

I am not, but that would be extremely helpful.  I only have two more slots open this week, but could open more next week if there are people who will participate. Thank you.

Regards,
Cindy

On Jul 9, 2020, at 2:46 AM, Ginetta Gueli <libellula_d_estate@...> wrote:

Dear Cindy,
a very good community of KMers is KM4DEV (focus on Development - NGO): are you part of it? If not, I can post your message and contacts there.

Let me know if this might help.
Thank you and kind regards,
Ginetta
--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager

Douglas Weidner

Our past Certified K Manager (CKM) students (10,000) have had a substantial minority that have limited actual KM experience (less than one year).

Most all students have favored "the how-tos rather than the theoretical.."
Hence, we have converted from our initial decade on what I would call 'lecture', in favor of what we now focus on, aka the KM PRACTICUM. as befits a certification program vs other types of training programs. In other words, to be able to apply vs. merely to understand.

Our extensive research agrees with your anecdotal insights, "Common concerns are how do they make their seniors care." has many strategies, such as an Awareness Campaign, including: 'Create a Sense of Urgency,

We assess student pre-class and post-class opinions about the criticality of various KM Strategy options (CKM course deliverables), but especially their post-class assessment v-v their own 'Mastery' of each critical strategy type vs. merely 'Awareness, but not able to do'

We will be publishing these activities and often surprising results this year through the new KMI Press.

Douglas Weidner
Chief CKM Instructor
KM Institute

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:45 AM Cindy Young <cjbutler97@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for sharing.  Sounds like we are confirming a lot of what we knew when we started out!

Regards,
Cindy

On Jul 9, 2020, at 8:38 AM, Douglas Weidner <douglas.weidner@...> wrote:

[...]

Good morning Cindy,
yeap, let me insert it. I guess that if someone is available they can propose you some time next week, it is already Friday. Can I write that they have to contact you on LinkedIN, eventually? Of course I will use your message above with the link to your schedule.

Thanks and regards,
Ginetta

--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager

Cindy Young

Thank you.  Please have them get their spot through the link.  I set up four more for next week.

On Jul 10, 2020, at 1:55 AM, Ginetta Gueli <libellula_d_estate@...> wrote:

Good morning Cindy,
yeap, let me insert it. I guess that if someone is available they can propose you some time next week, it is already Friday. Can I write that they have to contact you on LinkedIN, eventually? Of course I will use your message above with the link to your schedule.

Thanks and regards,
Ginetta

--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager

Hey Cindy! I am new to KM (my first year) so I will signup for some time with you! Happy to share my experience and struggles so far as I learn this new world. :)

Ginetta Gueli

Perfect, just done!

Good luck!
Ginetta
--
Ginetta Gueli
Information & Knowledge Manager | Project Manager

Cindy Young

Great!  Thank you, Lesley!

Regards,
Cindy