Validation of an Idea (Business Objectives through Knowledge/Learning) #methods

Nirmala Palaniappan

Hi KM-Enthusiasts,

In the previous organisation that I worked with, I conceptualised a methodology that helped participants start with their business objectives (owned by a department/business unit) and arrive at simplistic components related to knowledge creation, reuse, learning and similar aspects. The methodology then converts these aspects into crystal clear action items along with measures, responsibilities, timelines and so on. The progress with each action item could be tracked through an online mechanism and presented in a consolidated form. [This can - subsequently - be correlated to the actual achievement of the business objectives]

I have two queries for this community:

1. Are you able to relate to this idea - Have you come across anything similar to this?
2. Would it be a worthwhile activity to convert this into a technology-based interface for business units to leverage on? Would it be beneficial and appreciated?

Thank you,

Regards
Nirmala
--
"The faithful see the invisible, believe the incredible and then receive the impossible" - Anonymous

Yes Nirmala,

I have experienced this idea twice in different approaches:

1- in my previous job position as Enterprise Architect: we worked with TOGAF framework to breakdown and align the strategy/ business objectives with the business activities and components (knowledge, processes, applications and data). We also had a software to make those enterprise maps and activity models. Main takeaway: nice conceptual idea, heavy in execution, requires continuous updates, development of APIs and involvement of many conflicting stakeholders.

2- In my current job position as knowledge sharing leader, I have applied the strategic visioning exercise (Dan Ranta' method) to align the business objectives with the business processes, knowledge components and collaboration requirements with high impact on the business. Main takeaway: Powerful, leaders need to be accompanied to help them identify the learning requirements for their business activities/ processes. It also requires constant updates and involvement of stakeholders.

Any technology/ software development should be able to connect with existing systems and applications, elsewhere it will quickly fade away.

Hope that was helpful.

Hi Nirmala

I infer you are talking about how the participants thought through, identified, and named what is their “critical and relevant” knowledge directly related to achieving their mission. Deciding on the “what” is then followed by achieving the “how” and measuring objective measure of success tied to the mission.  Makes perfect, solid sense. This concept and action is fundamental to many of my consulting engagements.

I believe if you can define a process for your organization then the business units would be bale to leverage this insight and the results and adapt to their context.  Colleagues with great experience in this group can provide you with more insight on the tech/dashboard about which you are thinking.

Bill

[...]

Extremely useful inputs and insights, Rachad.
Thanks a ton! I am able to completely connect with your experience that it needs to be constantly evolving and must address conflicts in stakeholder expectations.

Timely reminder that it must talk with other systems! :-) Thanks again!

On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 at 9:51 PM, Rachad Najjar <rachadbn@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, Bill. You are absolutely right.
That’s the exact process I utilised.
I am pondering over how universally relevant such a process would be.
Software customisations may have their limitations....

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

From: main@SIKM.groups.io

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 08:50

[...]