Topics

Resource Questions #question #resources #km101

Julien Tremblay-McLellan

  1. Intro
  2. Resource Questions
  3. Terminology questions

1- Intro

I'm Julien a Library and Information Science student in Ottawa.

I always like to visit a person's web presence to get an idea about them. The only useful infot are my 2 Linkedin articles, (auto-extension dialing, modern email signatures) the rest is just window dressing.

I am really into lexicography and terminologies. A principle that has been inhabiting me lately, is the Rumplestiltskin principle. I am also curious about opensource technologies.

2. Resource Questions

2.1-- Where can I find a beginner guide to KM ? such as communication, media and literature?

2.2-- Does anyone know of a solid KM glossary?

2.3-- Is there any literature on the most effective models of online communication, ie how to structure an email, a web page, how to layout information so it is ingested in the correct manner.

I try to apply the funnel principle that has been popularized by newspapers. Start with the most important and work done to the minutae however that doesn't count for the fact that regular writing is not so myopic especially when communicating to an other person.

3. Resource Questions

Is there a word for : open communication that can be indexed and consulted by a late comer. For example, I can consult the archives of the SIKM mailing list, however private emails, chats and such other material are unaccessible to me.

Is there a term for the open side of this phenomenon?

I believe the latter would be private communication? Yet the problem with the open and private terms is that they are note accurate. Group communication can be done openly by private means (usually emails) that can not be consulted by a new party that was not present at the time.

Also, what would you call : the phenomenon of having an open and above board web presence. For example, take Stan Garfield's web presence vs Gwern who remains as active yet completely anonymous hiding his human form.

The term "identity exposure" comes to mind, but it doesn't feel succinct.

Best,

Julien Tremblay McLellan

jtremc@...

613-618-6699

Stan Garfield

Julien, welcome to the community, and thanks for your post!

Here are my answers. I hope that other members will also respond.

>Where can I find a beginner guide to KM?
  1. Recommended Sites, Books, Blogs, Newsletters, Consultants, and Thought Leaders
  2. KM Books
  3. Learning about the field of Knowledge Management
  4. 10 Ways to Build Expertise in Knowledge Management
  5. Implementing a Successful KM Program
>Does anyone know of a solid KM glossary?
  1. This article contains links to multiple glossaries: Defining knowledge management: Toward an applied compendium by John Girard  and JoAnn Girard
  2. Glossary of Knowledge Management by Olivier Serrat
  3. Glossary of terms used in competitive intelligence and knowledge management by Vernon Prior
  4. Knowledge Management Glossary by Karl Wiig and Elisabeth Wiig
  5. Knowledge Management Glossary by APQC
  6. Knowledge Management Glossary by Reid G. Smith
  7. A glossary of terms associated with Knowledge Management technologies and solutions by the Delphi Group
  8. Knowledge Management (KM) Glossary by The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)
  9. Glossary of Knowledge Management and Capacity Development by Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
  10. 100 Knowledge Management Specialties, 50 KM Components, and 50 Alternative Names for KM by Stan Garfield
>Is there any literature on the most effective models of online communication, i.e., how to structure an email, a web page, how to layout information so it is ingested in the correct manner?
  1. Articles about Communications
  2. User Interface, User Experience & Usability for Knowledge Management
>open communication
>I can consult the archives of the SIKM mailing list, however private emails, chats and such other material are inaccessible to me.
  • This is why I redirect queries sent privately to me to this open community. I prefer to answer questions here rather than in private exchanges. This allows others to also benefit, and allows for others to also provide answers.

Great questions and great refresher for all of us.

Bill Kaplan

Julien, welcome to the community, and thanks for your post!

Here are my answers. I hope that other members will also respond.

>Where can I find a beginner guide to KM?

  1. Recommended Sites, Books, Blogs, Newsletters, Consultants, and Thought Leaders
  2. KM Books
  3. Learning about the field of Knowledge Management
  4. 10 Ways to Build Expertise in Knowledge Management
  5. Implementing a Successful KM Program

>Does anyone know of a solid KM glossary?

  1. This article contains links to multiple glossaries: Defining knowledge management: Toward an applied compendium by John Girard  and JoAnn Girard
  2. Glossary of Knowledge Management by Olivier Serrat
  3. Glossary of terms used in competitive intelligence and knowledge management by Vernon Prior
  4. Knowledge Management Glossary by Karl Wiig and Elisabeth Wiig
  5. Knowledge Management Glossary by APQC
  6. Knowledge Management Glossary by Reid G. Smith
  7. A glossary of terms associated with Knowledge Management technologies and solutions by the Delphi Group
  8. Knowledge Management (KM) Glossary by The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)
  9. Glossary of Knowledge Management and Capacity Development by Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
  10. 100 Knowledge Management Specialties, 50 KM Components, and 50 Alternative Names for KM by Stan Garfield

>Is there any literature on the most effective models of online communication, i.e., how to structure an email, a web page, how to layout information so it is ingested in the correct manner?

  1. Articles about Communications
  2. User Interface, User Experience & Usability for Knowledge Management

>open communication

>I can consult the archives of the SIKM mailing list, however private emails, chats and such other material are inaccessible to me.

  • This is why I redirect queries sent privately to me to this open community. I prefer to answer questions here rather than in private exchanges. This allows others to also benefit, and allows for others to also provide answers.

Julien Tremblay-McLellan

Haha thank you Stan this is great and should keep me busy for a few years !

I am curious on how you organize your information, especially your digital resources.

  • Do you use your site as your "bookmark" platform, and then diffuse what you see fit? Is that how you principally organize digital resources?

I couldn't help myself and went to the end of the recent activity log to see when and how many edits are on the site.

I took a screenshot because it is pretty neat and impressive.

To the community esp. David, Bill and Michael thank you for the warm welcome. I will be in touch as I figure things out.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 09:22 AM, Julien Tremblay-McLellan wrote:
  • Do you use your site as your "bookmark" platform, and then diffuse what you see fit? Is that how you principally organize digital resources?
  • site/stangarfield is 10 years
I use my site as a curated collection of my content and also of useful KM resources from others.  Just as I curate the work of KM thought leaders in my monthly Profiles in Knowledge series, I do the same for my own work and for citations and references to my work.

The current site is 10 years old, but before that in 2007 I created it at http://stangarfield.googlepages.com/ - see http://web.archive.org/web/20070217052805/http://stangarfield.googlepages.com/ for an early snapshot. Prior to that, in April 2006 I started it as an MSN group - see http://web.archive.org/web/20070421071752/http://groups.msn.com/KnowledgeManagement for a later snapshot and https://stangarfield.medium.com/bionic-eteamwork-km-links-and-documents-problems-in-threaded-discussions-99e68c9c39ac for the original table of contents.

Julien Tremblay-McLellan

Thank you so much for every Stan, this is a wealth of information.