Topics

Case studies in KM #case-studies

Martin Dugage

Dear KM friends,
I am teaching KM to a bunch of students in Paris, and I realize that I need a few case studies to support my teaching, such as the ones I had in business school when I was their age. The ones I use are totally made up, and therefore not very convincing. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could find this?
Many thanks for your help.
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

Edited

Check out the book chapter I wrote describing nine lessons learned from two case studies a colleague and I wrote up based on client projects we did.

Don’t let the 2002 publication date put you off - these lessons learned are as relevant now as they were then. Here is the book on Amazon (check out the first review - the commenter name checked me and our chapter):
https://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Management-Lessons-Learned-Monograph/dp/1573871818

Here’s a link to a PDF copy of the book chapter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oettcGSTj7js3AtXJJoFMHxS79RpycGR/view?usp=drivesdk
Feel free to use with your class! (And I’d be happy to join a zoom discussion about it if you’re interested - let me know :).

Best,

-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC
+1 415 300 7457

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Dan Ranta

Martin - I recommend our recent case at GE.  The case is told very well in the 11-page attached chapter that I narrated and Chris Collison wrote from the excellent and recent book:  "The KM Cookbook" by Chris, Patricia Eng, and Paul Corney.  Since I left GE about a year ago, Rachad Najjar has taken this story, this program, and this case to new levels - integrating learning concepts and more into the program.  I suggest you talk to Rachad on this since he's in Grenoble, France (in charge of KM for GE's 55,000-person Renewable Energy business).  Of course, Rachad is a Francophone and this will make the sharing of this case even better for your students.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:39 PM Martin Dugage <mrdugage@...> wrote:
Dear KM friends,
I am teaching KM to a bunch of students in Paris, and I realize that I need a few case studies to support my teaching, such as the ones I had in business school when I was their age. The ones I use are totally made up, and therefore not very convincing. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could find this?
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

--
Daniel Ranta
Mobile:  603 384 3308

Paul McDowall

Hi Martin,
I have a case study on my website.  It's about my program in a central government agency.
Cheers
Paul

Paul McDowall
Know How Works
Ottawa, Canada
Tel: 613-825-7374
Cell: 613-796-7257
Web: www.knowhowworks.com

Dan Ranta

Martin - after my post and reading the post that Tom Short shared, something occurred to me.  You most likely don't want all cases to be very positive.  I want to share one other case with you that I don't consider a success.  I very recently finished a KM strategy job for a fast-growing startup company.  This case will be 100 percent sanitized - no sharing of the company name.  In short, here's some very high-level details:
  • I interviewed 37 employees - all discovery done by interview virtually due to the pandemic.
  • I integrated the KM strategy with concepts of Operational Excellence since this company was very interested in using better collaboration to drive consistency in their operations.
  • This was a company with a focus on technology first.  They had a "glued together" set of adhoc technology enablers thinking that this gave them a leg up on connecting people.
  • In the end, their leaders rejected my messaging around blending people, behavior, leadership (and other non-technical elements) into the mix as a better overall approach to building a sustainable, collaborative culture.  They were fixated on technology delivering them to the promised land!
I don't consider the case a failure as much as a reality of the world we live in today in the KM space.

Dan

Dear KM friends,
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

--
Daniel Ranta

Murray Jennex

I've done several and published several:  The ones I've written are:

My book:
Jennex, M. E. (Ed.). (2005). Case studies in knowledge management. IGI Global.

My favorite chapter:
Jennex, M.E., “Introduction: The Need for Knowledge Management,” Current Issues in Knowledge Management, edited by M.E. Jennex, IGI, 2008, pp. 1-5. (this is about why the US could not return to the moon in the 2000s) an updated version is: Jennex, M.E., (2013).  “Knowledge Management: The Risk of Forgetting.”  iKNOW, the magazine for Knowledge Workers, 3(1), pp. 4-7.

Other Articles/chapters: (some case studies, some qualitative based on case studies)
Jennex, M.E., (2013).  “Knowledge Management Success in an Engineering Firm.” Engineering Management Reviews, 2(3), pp. 65-74.
Jennex, M.E., (2014). “A Proposed Method for Assessing Knowledge Loss Risk with Departing Personnel”  VINE: The Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems, 44(2), pp. 185-209.
Chantarasombat, C., Srisa-ard, B., Kuofie, M.H.S., and Jennex, M.E., (2010). “Using Knowledge Management to Create Self-Reliant Communities in Thailand.” International Journal of Knowledge Management, 6(1), pp. 62-78.
Alemu, D., Jennex, M. E., & Assfea, T. (2020). An Agricultural Knowledge Management System for Ethiopia. In M. Jennex (Ed.), Knowledge Management, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship in a Changing World (pp. 334-359). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-7998-2355-1.ch013

I've done several books plus I'm editor in chief of the International Journal of Knowledge Management.  Let me know more specifically what you are looking for and I can see if there is something related in the books or journal

Murray Jennex, San Diego State University, editor in chief International Journal of Knowledge Management

-----Original Message-----
To: main@sikm.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Nov 21, 2020 10:39 am
Subject: [SIKM] Case studies in KM

Dear KM friends,
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

Patricia Eng <Patricia.Eng@...>

Hello Martin

May I suggest some stuff that I wrote?

I have two books full of real life case studies - one is called Navigating the Minefield which profiles KM programs at 19 companies around the world including Airbus, ARUP, Lloyds, the Port of Antwerp and others.  This book presents the KM programs in terms of the issues they faced and how the KM managers addressed them.  These are all based on one on one interviews.

And the KM Cookbook which profiles another 16 KM programs including GE, the World Bank, the Olympics, Medecins Sans Frontieres and Technip FMC.  This book describes the KM program from the point of view of the KM manager - also based on interviews.  The electronic version of the KM Cookbook is available on Amazon for less than 10 pounds.  

I think either would give you a number of case studies that you could use.  

The interviews were fun to do and I learned a lot.

All the best!

Patricia Eng

Fred Nickols

Wow! Looks like a wonderful piece of work, Patricia. Well done!

Fred Nickols
Solution Engineer & Chief Toolmaker
Distance Consulting LLC

On Nov 21, 2020, at 4:34 PM, Patricia Eng <Patricia.Eng@...> wrote:

Hello Martin

May I suggest some stuff that I wrote?

I have two books full of real life case studies - one is called Navigating the Minefield which profiles KM programs at 19 companies around the world including Airbus, ARUP, Lloyds, the Port of Antwerp and others.  This book presents the KM programs in terms of the issues they faced and how the KM managers addressed them.  These are all based on one on one interviews.

And the KM Cookbook which profiles another 16 KM programs including GE, the World Bank, the Olympics, Medecins Sans Frontieres and Technip FMC.  This book describes the KM program from the point of view of the KM manager - also based on interviews.  The electronic version of the KM Cookbook is available on Amazon for less than 10 pounds.  

I think either would give you a number of case studies that you could use.  

The interviews were fun to do and I learned a lot.

All the best!

Patricia Eng

Leif Edvinsson

Edited

Connecting with Prof. Pawlowsky will help you, especially as ISO 30401 is a milestone in KM.

there are a number of studies on the outcome of KM. Suggest a literature analysis.

A major study with n= 3401 companies  that we conducted for the German ministry of Economics  shows clear evidence (structural equation model) with regard to  a number of outcome variables such as monetary performance, Basel credibility indicators, product and process innovation. Unfortunatly most publications on this are in German. Currently working on KM certification process (ISO 30401), here the most promising empirical evidence is moulded into certification specs.   

Best      

Peter Pawlowsky

Pawlowsky, P. (2011): Knowledge 2010 – Intellectual Capital as Driver of Wealth. In: Jeschke, S./Isenhardt, I./Hees, F./Trantow, S. (Hrsg.): Enabling Innovation. Innovative Capability – German and International Views. Heidelberg, Dortrecht, London, New York: Springer. S. 307 - 330. ISBN 978-3-642-24502-2.

Pawlowsky,P. /Gözalan,A. / Schmid,S. (2011): Wettbewerbsfaktor Wissen: Managementpraxis von Wissen und Intellectual Capital in Deutschland - Eine repräsentative Unternehmensbefragung zum Status quo FOKUS prints 08/11

Pawlowsky, P./Gözalan, A./Schmid, S. (2012): Wie strategisches Wissensmanagement den Unternehmenserfolg fördert. In: PERSONALquarterly - Schwerpunkt Weiterbildung, 02/2012, 64. Jg., S. 30 - 33. ISSN 2193-0589.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Peter Pawlowsky 

Chemnitz University of Technology

Faculty of Economics & Business Administration 

p.pawlowsky@...

www.personalundfuehrung.com

Neue Bücher:  

Peter Pawlowsky (2019) Wissensmanagement, De Gruyter 

Yaman Kouli, Peter Pawlowsky, Markus Hertwig (Hrsg.2020) Wissensökonomie und Digitalisierung, Springer 

Publikationen: 

https://www.personalundfuehrung.com/publikationen

lör 21 nov. 2020 kl. 19:39 skrev Martin Dugage <mrdugage@...>:

Dear KM friends,
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

Stan Garfield

For previous threads about case studies, see the #case-studies hashtag.

Chapter 15 of my book Proven Practices for Promoting a Knowledge Management Program contains 10 case studies. You can request a free copy from Lucidea, and you can view 5 free webinars, each containing two of the case studies, and which are linked to in the article.

Chapter Fifteen REUSE PROVEN PRACTICES 191

• Microsoft Services 191

Patricia Eng <Patricia.Eng@...>

Edited

Good point, Dan

In Navigating I give several examples where successful KM programs failed.  Hardly anyone talks about that but I think there is a lot to be learned from failed programs.

My program at NRC did very well and then declined to nothing when the champion was transferred.  Sadly my program was not as robust as I thought it was.

Patricia

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020, 14:27 Dan Ranta <danieleranta@...> wrote:
Martin - after my post and reading the post that Tom Short shared, something occurred to me.  You most likely don't want all cases to be very positive.  I want to share one other case with you that I don't consider a success.  I very recently finished a KM strategy job for a fast-growing startup company.  This case will be 100 percent sanitized - no sharing of the company name.  In short, here's some very high-level details:
  • I interviewed 37 employees - all discovery done by interview virtually due to the pandemic.
  • I integrated the KM strategy with concepts of Operational Excellence since this company was very interested in using better collaboration to drive consistency in their operations.
  • This was a company with a focus on technology first.  They had a "glued together" set of adhoc technology enablers thinking that this gave them a leg up on connecting people.
  • In the end, their leaders rejected my messaging around blending people, behavior, leadership (and other non-technical elements) into the mix as a better overall approach to building a sustainable, collaborative culture.  They were fixated on technology delivering them to the promised land!
I don't consider the case a failure as much as a reality of the world we live in today in the KM space.

Dan

Dear KM friends,
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

--
Daniel Ranta

Nick Milton

You can find dozens here – mostly quite brief but may be of use/interest, and most have links if you want to dig further

http://www.nickmilton.com/search/label/case%20study

Also, to follow Dan’s point, a few dozen failure stories too

http://www.nickmilton.com/search/label/failure%20story

Hope this helps

Nick Milton

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Martin Dugage
Sent: 21 November 2020 18:39
To: main@sikm.groups.io
Subject: [SIKM] Case studies in KM

Dear KM friends,

Best regards,

Martin R Dugage

--

Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

Leif Edvinsson

Edited

Hello, hope the reply from Prof. Pawlowsky will help you, especially as ISO 30401 is a milestone in KM.

lör 21 nov. 2020 kl. 23:45 skrev Leif Edvinsson via groups.io <leifedvinsson=gmail.com@groups.io>:

Have a connect with Prof. Peter Pawlosky, Berlin. Especially on the newly launched ISO standards for KM 30401.

there are a number of studies on the outcome of KM. Suggest a literature analysis.

A major study with n= 3401 companies  that we conducted for the German ministry of Economics  shows clear evidence (structural equation model) with regard to  a number of outcome variables such as monetary performance, Basel credibility indicators, product and process innovation. Unfortunatly most publications on this are in German. Currently working on KM certification process (ISO 30401), here the most promising empirical evidence is moulded into certification specs.   

Best      

Peter Pawlowsky

Pawlowsky, P. (2011): Knowledge 2010 – Intellectual Capital as Driver of Wealth. In: Jeschke, S./Isenhardt, I./Hees, F./Trantow, S. (Hrsg.): Enabling Innovation. Innovative Capability – German and International Views. Heidelberg, Dortrecht, London, New York: Springer. S. 307 - 330. ISBN 978-3-642-24502-2.

Pawlowsky,P. /Gözalan,A. / Schmid,S. (2011): Wettbewerbsfaktor Wissen: Managementpraxis von Wissen und Intellectual Capital in Deutschland - Eine repräsentative Unternehmensbefragung zum Status quo FOKUS prints 08/11

Pawlowsky, P./Gözalan, A./Schmid, S. (2012): Wie strategisches Wissensmanagement den Unternehmenserfolg fördert. In: PERSONALquarterly - Schwerpunkt Weiterbildung, 02/2012, 64. Jg., S. 30 - 33. ISSN 2193-0589.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Peter Pawlowsky 

Chemnitz University of Technology

Faculty of Economics & Business Administration 

p.pawlowsky@...

www.personalundfuehrung.com

Neue Bücher:  

Peter Pawlowsky (2019) Wissensmanagement, De Gruyter 

Yaman Kouli, Peter Pawlowsky, Markus Hertwig (Hrsg.2020) Wissensökonomie und Digitalisierung, Springer 

Publikationen: 

https://www.personalundfuehrung.com/publikationen

lör 21 nov. 2020 kl. 19:39 skrev Martin Dugage <mrdugage@...>:
Dear KM friends,
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

Martin Dugage

Thanks Dan,
yes, that is correct. I am more into open-ended case studies to serve as grounds for discussion with my students. I invented some, but they sound corny ;)
and thanks for the contact. I called Rachad, and we had a great discussion. He will probably  make a presentation to our team in a near future.
many many thanks.
martin

Patrick Lambe

Hi Martin

My colleagues and I developed some KM implementation challenges case studies some years ago - they are fictionalised but based on interviews with KM practitioners and staged as “decision games” - the idea is that the case participants would discuss the case as each stage of the case develops.

P

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:  +65 98528511

web:  www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:  www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:  www.aithinsoftware.com

On 28 Nov 2020, at 6:34 PM, Martin Dugage <mrdugage@...> wrote:

Thanks Dan,
yes, that is correct. I am more into open-ended case studies to serve as grounds for discussion with my students. I invented some, but they sound corny ;)
and thanks for the contact. I called Rachad, and we had a great discussion. He will probably  make a presentation to our team in a near future.
many many thanks.
martin

Good stuff Patrick!  Thank you.

Bill

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patrick Lambe via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, November 28, 2020 03:25
To: main@SIKM.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Case studies in KM #case-studies

Hi Martin

My colleagues and I developed some KM implementation challenges case studies some years ago - they are fictionalised but based on interviews with KM practitioners and staged as “decision games” - the idea is that the case participants would discuss the case as each stage of the case develops.

P

Patrick Lambe

Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:                                                    +65 98528511

web:                                                       www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:                                             www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:           www.aithinsoftware.com

On 28 Nov 2020, at 6:34 PM, Martin Dugage <mrdugage@...> wrote:

Thanks Dan,
many many thanks.
martin