Topics

Case studies in KM #case-studies

Martin Dugage

Dear KM friends,
I am teaching KM to a bunch of students in Paris, and I realize that I need a few case studies to support my teaching, such as the ones I had in business school when I was their age. The ones I use are totally made up, and therefore not very convincing. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could find this?
Many thanks for your help.
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

Edited

Check out the book chapter I wrote describing nine lessons learned from two case studies a colleague and I wrote up based on client projects we did.

Don’t let the 2002 publication date put you off - these lessons learned are as relevant now as they were then. Here is the book on Amazon (check out the first review - the commenter name checked me and our chapter):
https://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Management-Lessons-Learned-Monograph/dp/1573871818

Here’s a link to a PDF copy of the book chapter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oettcGSTj7js3AtXJJoFMHxS79RpycGR/view?usp=drivesdk
Feel free to use with your class! (And I’d be happy to join a zoom discussion about it if you’re interested - let me know :).

Best,

-Tom
--

Tom Short Consulting
TSC

All of my previous SIKM Posts

Dan Ranta

Martin - I recommend our recent case at GE.  The case is told very well in the 11-page attached chapter that I narrated and Chris Collison wrote from the excellent and recent book:  "The KM Cookbook" by Chris, Patricia Eng, and Paul Corney.  Since I left GE about a year ago, Rachad Najjar has taken this story, this program, and this case to new levels - integrating learning concepts and more into the program.  I suggest you talk to Rachad on this since he's in Grenoble, France (in charge of KM for GE's 55,000-person Renewable Energy business).  Of course, Rachad is a Francophone and this will make the sharing of this case even better for your students.

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:39 PM Martin Dugage <mrdugage@...> wrote:
Dear KM friends,
I am teaching KM to a bunch of students in Paris, and I realize that I need a few case studies to support my teaching, such as the ones I had in business school when I was their age. The ones I use are totally made up, and therefore not very convincing. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could find this?
Many thanks for your help.
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

--
Daniel Ranta
Mobile:  603 384 3308

Paul McDowall

Hi Martin,
I have a case study on my website.  It's about my program in a central government agency.
Cheers
Paul

Paul McDowall
Know How Works
Ottawa, Canada
Tel: 613-825-7374
Cell: 613-796-7257
Web: www.knowhowworks.com

Dan Ranta

Martin - after my post and reading the post that Tom Short shared, something occurred to me.  You most likely don't want all cases to be very positive.  I want to share one other case with you that I don't consider a success.  I very recently finished a KM strategy job for a fast-growing startup company.  This case will be 100 percent sanitized - no sharing of the company name.  In short, here's some very high-level details:
  • I interviewed 37 employees - all discovery done by interview virtually due to the pandemic.
  • I integrated the KM strategy with concepts of Operational Excellence since this company was very interested in using better collaboration to drive consistency in their operations.
  • This was a company with a focus on technology first.  They had a "glued together" set of adhoc technology enablers thinking that this gave them a leg up on connecting people.
  • In the end, their leaders rejected my messaging around blending people, behavior, leadership (and other non-technical elements) into the mix as a better overall approach to building a sustainable, collaborative culture.  They were fixated on technology delivering them to the promised land!
I don't consider the case a failure as much as a reality of the world we live in today in the KM space.

Dan

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 12:39 PM Martin Dugage <mrdugage@...> wrote:
Dear KM friends,
I am teaching KM to a bunch of students in Paris, and I realize that I need a few case studies to support my teaching, such as the ones I had in business school when I was their age. The ones I use are totally made up, and therefore not very convincing. Do you have any recommendations as to where I could find this?
Many thanks for your help.
Best regards,
Martin R Dugage
--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

--
Daniel Ranta
Mobile:  603 384 3308

Murray Jennex

I've done several and published several:  The ones I've written are:

My book:
Jennex, M. E. (Ed.). (2005). Case studies in knowledge management. IGI Global.

My favorite chapter:
Jennex, M.E., “Introduction: The Need for Knowledge Management,” Current Issues in Knowledge Management, edited by M.E. Jennex, IGI, 2008, pp. 1-5. (this is about why the US could not return to the moon in the 2000s) an updated version is: Jennex, M.E., (2013).  “Knowledge Management: The Risk of Forgetting.”  iKNOW, the magazine for Knowledge Workers, 3(1), pp. 4-7.

Other Articles/chapters: (some case studies, some qualitative based on case studies)
Jennex, M.E., (2013).  “Knowledge Management Success in an Engineering Firm.” Engineering Management Reviews, 2(3), pp. 65-74.
Jennex, M.E., (2014). “A Proposed Method for Assessing Knowledge Loss Risk with Departing Personnel”  VINE: The Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems, 44(2), pp. 185-209.
Chantarasombat, C., Srisa-ard, B., Kuofie, M.H.S., and Jennex, M.E., (2010). “Using Knowledge Management to Create Self-Reliant Communities in Thailand.” International Journal of Knowledge Management, 6(1), pp. 62-78.
Alemu, D., Jennex, M. E., & Assfea, T. (2020). An Agricultural Knowledge Management System for Ethiopia. In M. Jennex (Ed.), Knowledge Management, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship in a Changing World (pp. 334-359). Hershey, PA: IGI Global. doi:10.4018/978-1-7998-2355-1.ch013

I've done several books plus I'm editor in chief of the International Journal of Knowledge Management.  Let me know more specifically what you are looking for and I can see if there is something related in the books or journal

Murray Jennex, San Diego State University, editor in chief International Journal of Knowledge Management

Learn more about the solutions and value we provide at www.workingknowledge-csp.com