Topics

Academic theories related to adoption of ESNs #ESN

Dennis Pearce

I've felt for a long time that when it comes to studying the factors that impact adoption of Enterprise Social Networks in organizations, there's a lot of good solid academic research that never makes the leap over to actual use because (1) academics are more motivated by publication and citation than they are by encouraging application and (2) practitioners usually don't go looking to academics for help because their information is often behind a journal paywall and incomprehensible to your average layperson even if they could get their hands on the paper.

So I've started a series of blog posts to discuss academic theories that might have some bearing on the adoption of ESNs. There are many many IT and psychology theories out there that try to model behavior change and what drives the adoption of new technologies. Here's a link to my introductory post: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/esn-adoption-introduction-dennis-pearce/

Links to my posts on the theories I've covered so far are at the bottom of that post and at the bottom of every post in the series. I've tried to keep the posts fairly short and easy to read. So far I've covered seven with more to come as I get time to write. The ones so far are:

  • Theory of Reasoned Action
  • Technology Acceptance Model
  • Diffusion of Innovations Theory
  • Task-Technology-Fit Model
  • Hedonic Motivation System Adoption Model
  • Representation Theory
  • Swift Trust Theory

I'd be interested to see what you think of the idea and if you have any of your favorite theories to offer. I'm looking for theories that have been published in peer-reviewed journals and have a decent number of citations (hundreds or thousands). Not really looking for any one-offs that haven't been replicated or extended. Also, I have a pretty niche focus limited to theories that can be applied to behavior change or technology adoption in the context of ESNs, not any old KM theory.

Thanks,
Dennis

Murray Jennex

if you are looking at TRA and TAM then you should also look at the Perceived Benefit Model (Thompson, Higgins, and Howell, (Personal computing: toward a conceptual model of utilizationRL Thompson, CA Higgins, JM Howell - MIS quarterly, 1991 - JSTOR shows how it can be used).  The actual theory is from Triandis.  I used this theory in my PhD dissertation and actually ever since.  I find this theory does a better job for situations where you can't force adoption of something.

On another note, a lot of the base papers are actually available for free on Research Gate.  Use Google Scholar to google them and it will provide the link to the pdfs that are available....murray jennex

[...]

Matt Moore

Hi Dennis,

Not sure if you’ve come across the work of Kai Riemer and his colleagues - they did a lot of work with Yammer (back when they were still Yammer) - e.g.
https://byresearch.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/snep/

The term "ESN" feels a bit 2010ish to me - associated with the likes of Yammer and Jive (back when Facebook was kinda cool and fun rather than where your dodgy uncle posts conspiracy theories). I would say that Teams and Slack are not really “enterprise-wide” - they tend to silo groups into, er, teams. And the discourse around them is very different to narrative that the likes of Adam Pisoni were trying to craft around Yammer.

BTW I actually work in an organisation that uses Slack very heavily. I get maybe 1-2 emails a day - but probably upwards of 100 Slack messages. However it's not necessarily a collaborative nirvana. So if the definition of "ESN adoption" is "everyone using Slack" then  I can tell you how we did that.

Matt Moore
+61 423 784 504

On Jan 12, 2021, at 1:20 PM, Murray Jennex via groups.io <murphjen=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Technology adoption of corporate or enterprise social networks is an area that I have closely researched during my academic work and applied in the professional context in my current job (The Case of GE Renewable Energy).

TLDR;

Based on my experience and observations, I have formulated an initial conviction that a combination of UGT, TTF, TPB can mostly explain the adoption process and the post-adaptation behavior of individuals to continue to use a given technology (ESN). Consequently, my favorite theories are:

*UGT: Uses and Gratification Theory

*TTF: Task-Technology fit

*TPB: Theory of planned behavior

Detailed answer –

Technology adoption models prove useful in understanding the user behavior and his acceptance of a technology, some other theories introduce characteristics that explain the organization decision to acquire the technology. Despite the importance of both aspects, technology adoption by an organization is actually influenced by the two aspects and thus they could not be addressed separately. Actually, the adoption of a technology inside an organization starts with the organization considering adopting it, collecting information about it and then deciding to acquire it (or not). But that is not enough, for a technology to be adopted inside the organization, users should also accept it for a long period of time. Only then a technology could be considered as successfully adopted inside the organization and it can start to produce business value. However, investigating the literature shows that existing theories and most of the new emerging models lack that holistic view. In fact, by combining existing models with existing constructs, researches succeed to enrich the technology adoption theories but still do not take into consideration simultaneously the two aspects that are: the determinants impacting each adoption process phase (pre-adoption, adoption, post-adoption) and the level of analysis (individual or organizational).

In her recent research work, Dr. Sarah Beyrouthy has presented a very comprehensive literature study on the determinants of a successful technology adoption at both a) the level of analysis and b) each adoption process phase. I have attached an extract of the determinants influencing the technology adoption at each phase (pre-adoption, adoption-implementation, post-adoption).

You may find her work at this link https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01736322

Thank you
Rachad

Murray Jennex

TPB works best when you can push the adoption, I really recommend looking at the Perceived Benefit Model (from Triandis, applied by Thompson, Higgins, and Howell to IS and by me to KM) as it is designed for adoptions where adoption is voluntary.  In my mind all KM is voluntary, you can lead users to knowledge but you can't make them use it......murray jennex

[...]

Thanks everyone for all the great information and references -- I will certainly be looking into them!

Matt, I definitely agree that Slack and Teams are not ESNs for a lot of reasons -- no landing pages, poor navigation and taxonomy capabilities, don't scale well, hard to organize discussions and retain organizational memory, etc.  I think a good ESN platform needs that "Swiss Army Knife" approach of providing threaded discussions, tagging, blogging, file management, following and tracking activity.  My current organization has the M365 suite but we are in the middle of adding Unily on top of it just for that reason.

I think Slack and Teams are gaining popularity now because of (1) obviously the pandemic and pressing need for online collaboration, but (2) even before that the increasing pace of change requiring quick and constant interactions among team members.  But ever since Slack first took off, I have wondered in the back of my mind what 20 years of Slack posts is going to look like in an organization and how much good learning will be lost because it's buried in a lot of irrelevant conversation and too costly to dig out and preserve.

Lee Romero

Dennis - I am just starting to dive into your posts about adoption and wanted to say thanks for putting these together.  The topic of adoption and resistance of this kind of functionality has always been an interest of mine but I've never dug into the academic side of it - and now, you save me from a lot of the effort in doing that (at least to familiarize myself with the topic)!

Thanks again!

Regards
Lee Romero