New Venture #personal

swkmleader <steve@...>

SIKM Members,

I would like to share with you a new venture I have undertaken. After providing internal KM consulting services to General Motors Corporation's Product Engineering since 1997, as a Global Technical Fellow, plus an additional 13 years as an automotive project and engineering manager, I have formed my own company, Wieneke & Wieneke, Inc. to provide the following services.

1.    A process to replace traditional lessons learned databases with a visible enterprise learning process so the "organization learns",

2.     Insights and techniques for structuring product and process knowledge for capture, sharing and reuse within an organization,

3.     Insights and techniques to heighten an organization's awareness of the knowledge surrounding them and the value of that knowledge,

4.     Organizational Engineering analyses to potentially improve people-to-people communications, performance and teamwork through understanding each other's information processing preferences rather than trying to change them.

The services are offered as group orientations and workshops, train-the-trainer sessions or individual coaching and mentoring.

I am currently collaborating with Emergent Systems which provides a knowledge management software application known as the Enterprise Engineering Knowledge System (E2ks). This software offers a variety of functions to easily capture, maintain and retrieve process or product knowledge and much more.

You may remember the presentations that I have made and another is planned in 2009 to the SIKMLeader community...

May 2007 - "KM Domain" - a knowledge modeling technique to diagram the KM space (co-presented with Karla Phlypo-Price)

July 2008 - "Replacing a Lessons Learned database with a Visible Learning Process", and

July 2009 - "Enterprise Learning and Knowledge Awareness" (planned)

A case study of the KM work I was involved in at General Motors is available in Tom Young's (Knoco) book, Knowledge Management for Services, Operations and Manufacturing, Chandos Publishing, Oxford, England, 2008, pp. 142 - 165, ("Adopting and Adapting Product Best Practices across General Motors Engineering Six Years Later",  Steven Wieneke, Technical Fellow, Global Engineering, General Motors Corporation)

I trust that many of the practical insights I have developed over several years of practicing knowledge management within a major automotive manufacturer can be of benefit to you. I am looking forward to continued participation in the SIKM community and assisting you or your organization in realizing and leveraging their knowledge assets.

For more information please contact:

Steven Wieneke

President
elka
enterprise learning & knowledge awareness
a branch of Wieneke & Wieneke, Inc.

www.elkawareness.com

steve@...
cell: 248.535.0427

Arthur Shelley

Steven,

Good luck with this. I left a similar position from a global company a year
ago and it has been a very interesting path. Certainly one worth
travelling. It may well be one which many more of us will test in the
coming year as companies underestimate the value of their KM programs under
tight money policies. I have enjoyed the ebb and flow of exchanges with a
range of organisations and also bending the minds of the next generation by
teaching KM Strategy in the RMIT University MBA program. The return to an
academic environment after 25 years away has prompted me to commence a PhD
on Behavioural influences on knowledge transfer in projects. A fascinating
area that I believe you and Karla experienced first hand at GM.

A fact that floated out over the last few weeks that this forum may find
interesting, Universities have steep increases in postgraduate enrolments in
an economic downturn. It seems that when people feel there is less
opportunity/resources/money in the workforce to do interesting stuff, they
decide to invest more of their time back in themselves (an interesting
knowledge/behavioural trait worthy of some discussion itself, even without
the financial aspects).

Regards and best wishes. I hope it goes well for you, although it might be
a little tough in the medium term.

Arthur Shelley
Author: The Organizational Zoo A Survival Guide to Workplace Behavior
<http://www.organizationalzoo.com> www.organizationalzoo.com
Ph +61 413 047 408

_____

formed my own company, <http://www.elkawareness.com/> Wieneke & Wieneke,

I am currently collaborating with <http://www.emergentsys.com/> Emergent
<http://www.emergentsys.com/ks/solutions.html> E2ks). This software offers a
variety of functions to easily capture, maintain and retrieve process or
product knowledge and much more.

You may remember the presentations that I have made and another is planned
in 2009 to the SIKMLeader community...

May 2007 - "KM Domain" - a knowledge modeling technique to diagram the KM
space (co-presented with Karla Phlypo-Price)

July 2008 - "Replacing a Lessons Learned database with a Visible Learning
Process", and

July 2009 - "Enterprise Learning and Knowledge Awareness" (planned)

A case study of the KM work I was involved in at General Motors is available
in Tom Young's (Knoco) book,
<http://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Management-Services-Operations-Manufacturin
g/dp/1843343258> Knowledge Management for Services, Operations and
Manufacturing, Chandos Publishing, Oxford, England, 2008, pp. 142 - 165,
("Adopting and Adapting Product Best Practices across General Motors
Engineering Six Years Later", Steven Wieneke, Technical Fellow, Global
Engineering, General Motors Corporation)

I trust that many of the practical insights I have developed over several
years of practicing knowledge management within a major automotive
manufacturer can be of benefit to you. I am looking forward to continued
participation in the SIKM community and assisting you or your organization
in realizing and leveraging their knowledge assets.

For more information please contact:

Steven Wieneke
President
elka enterprise learning & knowledge awareness
a branch of Wieneke & Wieneke, Inc.

<http://www.elkawareness.com/> <http://www.elkawareness.com/>
<http://www.elkawareness.com/> <http://www.elkawareness.com/>
www.elkawareness. <http://www.elkawareness.com/> com
<mailto:steve@elkawareness.com> steve@elkawareness.com
cell: 248.535.0427

Jerry Ash <jash@...>

Arthur, your observation about people investing in themselves would
make for a good story in Smart People magazine.

By the way, I've taken to heart confusion and criticism regarding my
description of the magazine and have a new "elevator speech":

"The World Wide Web, the Internet, Web 2.0 -- they've changed
everything. To 15-year KM veteran Jerry Ash, the knowledge phenomenon
has always been about people. The value of people's knowledge is a
subject of strategic importance in the business world. To people,
though, it's a matter of personal enablement, empowerment, learning
and fun. The core vision of SMART PEOPLE is to make sense of it all.
In the SP Wiki people have come together to collaborate on the
birthing and nurturing of a most significant magazine."

Thanks for being part of our work group, Arthur. If anyone else wants
to know more or join the group, go to:

http://smart-people.mixxt.com/

Kaplan, Bill <bill.kaplan@...>

Congratulations Steve!!

I know that the experience you have shared supporting some of my events will be sought after by your new clients…you should be very successful and I wish you the best of luck.  I know we will stay in touch with you.

Best

Bill

William S. Kaplan, CPCM

Chief Knowledge Officer

Acquisition Solutions, Inc.

(w) 703.253.6313

(c)  571.238.9878

"Knowledge at Work"

The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message, and then delete it from your computer.