From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of Maureen Mason via groups.io <toastersam@...>
Sent: Friday, May 7, 2021 12:12:53 PM
To: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Subject: [SIKM] Advice when starting a new role #knowledge-sharing

Hello

I'm starting a new role in a few weeks and starting thinking about what I should be doing to get ready. So I thought I would ask here and see what y'all do.
  •  what do you do to prep before day 1 ?
  • What do you try to do the first few days/weeks?

TIA
Maureen

Stan Garfield

Maureen, thanks for your post.

>What do you do to prep before day 1?

Use LinkedIn and Google search to find out who else works at your new organization with similar roles, interests, and backgrounds.  Read about them and anything they have published, posted, or shared.  Connect to them in LinkedIn.

>What do you try to do the first few days/weeks?

Start building your social network.  Send email and call people to ask them if they can spend 30 minutes chatting with you.  Have questions prepared for each chat, and write down what people tell you.  Ask them for the names of others they recommend for your network, and then follow up with them.

Join a few internal communities and participate in their discussions and activities.  Post as you have in this community to introduce yourself, ask for advice, and seek people for your network.  Reply to the posts of others with helpful information, including experiences you bring from previous jobs.

If a community does not already exist for your area of responsibility, help to create and launch one.  Recruit people from your new social network to join and help build the community.