Best corporate expertise finder tools and service providers? #expertise-location

Jules Hugot, <jhugot@...>

Dear SIKM Leaders Community members,

I am an economist with the Asian Development Bank (ADB)—a multilateral development bank, similar to the World Bank, but with a focus on Asia.

We are looking to upgrade our internal people finder, which currently only displays staff’s name, office and phone number, job title and a photo. Instead of going through the usual HR/IT channel, our ‘innovation hub’ has launched an internal call for proposal, asking staffs to form teams combining people from different areas of the bank. As a member of one of these teams, I am looking to understand what are the state-of-the-art solutions for corporate people/expertise locators in the market, and which companies can best design and implement such tools. The next step would be to commission one of such companies for a pilot.

Our goal is to turn the current ‘people finder’ into a proper skill/expertise finder, while requiring as little effort as possible from staff (ideally none). For this, we would need a well-functioning search engine (e.g., that can understand mis-spelled names, for example), that would draw on data possibly pulled from:

  1. HR’s internal datasets (including but not limited to the dataset that is currently at the backend of the people finder),
  2. info web scraped from standardized online documents (e.g., here) pertaining to specific projects (e.g., so you would know that John Doe worked on project X in year Y, as an expert in Z),
  3. info web scraped from  Linkedin profiles (e.g., education, expertise, publications),
  4. info added by the staff to their profile.

Please let me know if you are aware of companies that could be able to help us design and implement the best possible internal expertise finder.

Best,

Jules Hugot, PhD | Economist | Macroeconomic Research Division | Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department | Asian Development Bank | +63 999 999 4630

Patrick Lambe

Hi Jules

You might want to check out the recent case study from Moscow Domodedovo Airport at our KM Exchange Conference a couple of weeks back - this was an in-house custom development on the back of SharePoint but it does a rather nice job of weaving together the technical, motivational and strategy/governance strands, and I am sure that the case author Olga (whose contact details are in the case outline) would be happy to respond to questions. The point here is not to consider the technology in and of itself, but what strategic purpose expertise management is going to serve for the Bank. This link goes to the session page with the case study outline and a video presentation of the case.

Patrick

Patrick Lambe
Partner
Straits Knowledge

phone:  +65 98528511

web:  www.straitsknowledge.com
resources:  www.greenchameleon.com
knowledge mapping:  www.aithinsoftware.com

On 23 Jul 2021, at 5:59 PM, Jules Hugot, <jhugot@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan Ranta

Dear Jules - I would be glad to do a demo on how this can be done.  I have done this type of project a few times with large organizations.

Best - Dan

--
Daniel Ranta
Mobile:  603 384 3308

Jules Hugot, <jhugot@...>

Dear Dan,

Sounds good. Before scheduling a demo, could you please share some material with me, so I could have clearer views of what you have done? Maybe of slide deck or something similar?

Best,

Jules

From: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io> on behalf of Dan Ranta <danieleranta@...>
Date: Friday, July 23, 2021 at 6:49 PM
To: main@SIKM.groups.io <main@SIKM.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SIKM] Best corporate expertise finder tools and service providers?

[...]

Ivo Bellin Salarin

Hello Jules,

I have worked on the LumApps search engine (LumApps is a digital workplace, and it includes a good user directory, coupled with a powerful search engine. It can perform well on all the points).

But given any solution you will consider, you have to know that LinkedIn will not allow you to extract information in an automated way. Or it will make your life way more difficult.

It would be interesting to dive deeper in the subject - feel free to contact me with a DM or by phone.

0033618987645
me@...

Jonathan Gordon-Till

Hi Jules
Take a look at Starmind (starmind.ai). It's a tool that uses AI to create a 'neural network' of association between people and concepts, based on digital content to which it has access (e.g. intranet files). It attempts to standardize vocabulary differences and spelling errors. Users can then use it to find out who (in the internal network) is likely to know about X, or what concepts has person Y worked on? So whilst it may not tell you who is a true expert (which is subjective anyway), it's a good starting point. It also avoids the need to maintain profiles. There is a cost unfortunately.
Happy to connect separately.
Regards

Jonathan Gordon-Till / UK