Ontology #taxonomy

Martin Dugage

Dear SIKM members
In my company (Framatome - we design and build nuclear reactors), we are in the process of launching an "ontology initiative". The intent is to build a top level data model that could be used across many knowledge bases of the company as a standard classification structure. In essence, it is about building a set of about 20-30 homogeneous taxonomies, for example "company activity", "manufacturing process", "organization", "product", "method/tool" etc... where different classes would be related to one another, such as hereunder on a simple example.
The idea is of course to both to enforce better interoperabilty of our knowledge bases, and to improve collaboration across the company through the use of a common dictionary of metadata, tags and keywords.
In essence,it is about building Framatome's "lingua franca".
We have two issues with this project
A- very few people in my company understand the concepts of terminology, taxonomy, ontology, or knowledge graphs. So gathering a team of passionate people around such an initiative is hard, and we cannot have all the stakeholders involved.
B- we believe we need some form of coaching to facilitate our working group, chartered to develop a high-level ontology starting from a set of classification taxonomies that are often used inside the company, with of course some variations from one knowledge base to another.
So my question to you is: do you have a contact with a taxonomy/ontology consultant who could help run our various workshops ? And if this person could be based in France, Germany or the UK, it would be even better.
I look forward to your valuable advice.
Many thanks in advance, and warm regards,
Martin.

Julien Tremblay-McLellan

Hi Martin,

You are in luck, there is an extensive talent pool in Europe for your request.

A lot of those people, especially the developers are active in the Semantic Mediawiki community. I am ccing Bernard Krabina @  krabina@... on this email. You should reach out to him as he knows the European scene extensively. He is the organizer of several conferences and active in the community and from what I could see, this is the bleeding edge of ontology since SMW is ideal for ontology prototyping.

Regards,

On Wed., Jul. 28, 2021, 2:51 p.m. Martin Dugage, <mrdugage@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

--
Rgds _Martin R. Dugage

Hi Martin,

I have created several taxonomies for mid-size and larger companies among them F. Hoffmann-La Roche and the Swiss power producer CKW.ch

For more information please look at www.aht.ch into the KM section: https://www.aht.ch/knowledge-resources-for-executives/

Regards,
Pavel

[...]

Dr. Pavel Kraus
Präsident SKMF
SWISS KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT FORUM
www.skmf.net

Seth Earley

Martin,

My book – The AI Powered Enterprise – discusses ontologies in detail.  Bit Rambusch, head of Global support Services and Knowledge Management at Dell (https://www.linkedin.com/in/bitrambusch/ )had this to say about the book:

----------------

As an executive working on #digitaltransformationstrategy, I would highly recommend Seth Earley's book. It has been a foundational element of our ability to learn, develop and implement strategies to support our acceleration of #personalization#artificialintelligence and #machinelearning at a global scale. Your infrastructure architecture strategy needs to be rock solid and in place if you expect to scale your capabilities! #knowledgemanagement #ai  ( https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6820845298915647489/ )
-------------------

He had originally reached out to let me know it had specifically been helpful in communicating the role of ontologies to business leaders at Dell.

If you would like to receive a copy, send a mailing address to seth@... and I will get one out to you.

(I’ll make the same offer to the rest of the group but would need to limit to about 10 folks -in case there are a lot of requests.  Typically there are not so I am not too concerned… <smile>)

Seth

Seth Earley

CEO – Earley Information Science

AWARD WINNING AUTHOR of The AI-Powered Enterprise

Cell: 781-820-8080

Email: seth@...

Web: www.earley.com

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sethearley

Available now

[...]

Jane Dysart

And here’s Seth’s discussion about the book and those topics in the Dysart & Jones Nexter Chat!

https://dysartjones.com/2020/07/organizing-data-information-with-ai/

Enjoy!

[...]

Thanks Jane for sending that out.  There are a boatload of podcasts, interviews and articles in addition to this one if anyone is interested in the info rather than the physical book (These days that’s like buying music on vinyl .  Very old school/retro but I still love physical books. Virtual gets lost - but with physical I can look at a book an author has sent me daily and feel guilty about not reading it <smile>).

The best quick resource is GetAbstracts.com.  Someone posted an abstract of that abstract on LinkedIn if you are reeaalllly  impatient.

Please reach out via email and/or connect with me on https://www.linkedin.com/in/sethearley if you are on the market for projects as a contractor or interested in FT work

<begin shameless plug>

(And of course if you want to talk shop or need assistance on an initiative).

<end shameless plug>

(I suppose it’s all shameless self promotion but at least I offered a book)

Seth

781-820-8080

Seth Earley

[...]

<image001.jpg>

Available now

[...]

<image003.png>

I am also finishing a podcast with Seth where we talk about the book and Taxonomy/Ontology/AI.

If interested, we can push it to this group. It is a great discussion about how you get support in your organization for projects that are somewhat ambiguous but critical for success

On Friday, July 30, 2021, 14:35, Jane Dysart <jane@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Bit – I did not realize you were on this list. Good thing I did not embellish your comments. :-). (The KM community is small and I might have assumed you followed this group)

I think it would be terrific to push it out to the group with the caveat/request that it not be shared widely - unless we want to jump the gun on Reed’s line up <smile>  Of course your call.

And Jane I don’t recall if I thanked you for sharing the podcast that we did. Appreciate it.

(Book offer is still open, btw)

Seth

781-820-8080